JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old Winchester rifle that uses .22 Win Auto ammo. It ONLY shoots this ammo and it is the only gun that uses this ammo.

There have been some major fluctuations in the price and availability of this stuff. Right after I got the gun I got a great deal on some of this ammo at $0.50/rd. I just happened to be looking around and found there was a recent limited run and bought a case (1000rds) at a price of $0.33/rd shipped.

I have a total of 1400rds now and I don't plan on shooting this gun a ton, but I do plan on being alive and able to shoot for at least the next 40 years. This run was said to be 3 million rounds. While that sounds like a lot that is only 6000 bricks (500rd). Now there are only a couple of vendors that still have this stuff and the cheapest I can find now is $0.35/rd. I am considering buying another 1000rds. I guess if I don't shot it I can always sell it later. If there are more runs then I guess it could just be the price of being stocked up.

Any thoughts?

Figure how many rounds per year you have shot it in the past and double that starting this year. Then if you go past your average in any year you will be covered. Heck it could be worse. I read a while back there is a old Indian somewhere who owns a Henry and one box of ammo and gives a demonstration shot once a year.

I'm not on board with the values always increases argument as it is not that simple. Dollar value usually does increase but buying power is another story. There is a good chance though that investing in ammo. is a good choice as it is not likely to lose value as fast as the dollar will. If we know one thing that seems certain, our government will continue to rob us of what we have earned by releasing more fiat money that just reduces the value of the money we hold. Therefore we are better off putting it in valuables that maintain buying power regardless of the value of the dollar.

Like GRC said, it depends. I recall in 1993/94 you could buy an AR for $650 (before the ban). Now days you can still buy an AR for $650, but the one now is actually cheeper based on inflation. Last time I looked at one of the calculators it was over $1000 in 1994 compared to today.

Buying ammo long term for an iron like yours is a good thing! Apart from the price, shoot the stuff on paper and consider the accuracy of the product you are or maybe purchasing in the future. You can always trade off what you don't need. If you find a lot that shoots straight get everything you can afford for that rifle and trade off or sell anything you might not need, some time down the road.
There was a time there was o internet, this and other older rim fire cartridges were just considered obsolete and those remaining rounds were bringing upward of two and one half dollars each, in the 1970s . With little or no ammunition available back then the guns themselves became of little interest to most and lost value. Now rare and with ammunition somewhat available, this could get interesting in the next forty.
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
It's only money, and you can't take it with you. But you can pass on a nice stockpile of .22 win auto and a nice rifle to shoot it with.

If I had an odd-ball cartridge firearm that wasn't able to be reloaded for, I would buy every cartridge I could put my fingers on....but that's just me!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top