JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Considering either buying a 4" 1911 and customize from there or I have a brownells 1911 catalog on its way and build from scratch I mean any one can go buy a Kimberly or colt and so on, but on the other hand to build one from scatch pick and choose my part by hand and do like a hard chrome finish a nice set of grips what do you guys think

Buying is more cost effective but building is more personally satisfying. I have not yet had the courage to build one from scratch as of yet but buying a good base gun such as a Springfield Milspec or Colt and personalizing it good way to get yor feet wet so to speak.

Keep in mind, building a 1911 is not like building an AR15. Assembling an AR is like putting a puzzle together. Not so with a custom 1911. There is a great deal of hand fitting and tuning...and a lot of potential for making some very costly mistakes.

Having done both, it depends on finances, and skill level.

I built a custom caspian 1911 in .40. Using my dealer discount, sales, and "name-brand" parts (Wilson, Ed Brown, Caspian, 10-8, Nighthawk, STI, etc) I still had more than $900 in parts. That is before having the finish applied.

I had a blast and learned alot. I may still build again. After you build one, you learn what you want, and how to make it work. It will definately be more expensive than just buying a pistol, even a semi-custom pistol. Expect to buy some parts twice, as you will screw them up....period. You may want to find a local smith that will do some of the "fitting" for you (slide, frame, beaver tail) you can learn the small parts. Remember you can always remove more metal, it's much harder to put back. When working with the frame, slide, or barrel those are the most expensive parts. Screw those up, and you are easily out $200+ for a single part. Go slow, take breaks, and then go slower!!!

All that said, I also learned what I could/would do better on the next one.

Finally, I learned my limits and what I could and could not do. If you want a truly custom psitol, find a smith that will work with you, and ask them if you can provide the "parts" you want, and then have them assemble it. It will still be more expensive than just buying a pistol, but you get exactly what you want.

Or buy a custom pistol to be begin with.

i have never built a gun,probably wont either,just because it does not make financial sense,when my boy was in hi-school he wanted to build a electric guitar for his senior project,well i did most of the building,we both learned alot,and it turned out great,but i could have bought two guitars for what we had into building the one

i wanted to build one and was researching the ideal until I read a complete story of one guys build process and realized what is involved.
There is a current thread on TFL about this subject with a link to the build story. Read that then decide. If you do decide to do it find out what kind of beer wichaka likes. You will need the help.

I bought a book and the parts to "upgrade" a Springfield Armory mil-spec. Read through the book and realized it would cost me more to buy all the necessary files, jigs, stones, etc etc etc than pay a professional to do it right the first time. Speaking of, is witchita the 1911 gunsmith on this forum? If so I need to contact him and get a quote lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top