JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I agree with those being quality but for that money you can get better. But whatever that is starting to split hairs.
Agreed. The Leupold military discount is hard to beat though. And they are right down the street from me….. there are a ton of other good companies as well though.

Living in this area Leupold is the "Home Team". Plus, making comparisons, dollar to dollar, there are a lot of reasons to have a Leupold on your hunting rifle.

"You're a nice guy and all, but I have my standards, and my minimum scope quality is Night Force. A doe has to have her self respect after all"

Not certain that deer or elk check out how good your scope is before they decide to live in your freezer. For me, it's all about how you intend to use the rifle and budget when picking out a scope.

Also, many brands, including top tier, have winners and losers. I do like the Leupold VX-3HD scopes at their price point for features, optics, durability and weight for most hunting scenarios, local or not. Bighorn sheep at 1,000 yards in bad light and yeah you need a great scope. One to three hundred yards in daylight, not so much.

Also consider that hunting gear can get some pretty rough treatment. For hunting and fishing my standard has always been if it gets broken and I have to save up to replace it then it's too rich for my blood. At a bench or for competition or for self defense I'll save up. it's the difference between the shovel I buy to dig a hole in my back yard vs. the ceremonial silver plated shovel used by the mayor (who thinks all shovels are silver plated) to turn over the first piece of pre-loosed soil for a photo op.

Each brand from the cheapest to the best have winners and losers, just be more careful when it comes to the low end.

I do get the intrinsic value of owning nicer stuff.

I have always considered Leupold tha standard. I have never found myself wanting or needing better glass. If I had to pay over a thousand dollars for glass I had better be able to see the difference besides just seeing a label on the scope.

I like Leupolds as well, though I haven't use any of the more expensive ones out there. I haven't used their warranty but believe I can drive to Beaverton, hand the scope to someone and they will make it right, right then. I generally figure on spending about the same on the scope as I do on the rifle+/- some.

Now I'm having low self-esteem because I kill things farther away than some folk and I use Leupold VX-2 scopes.

Don't tell the elk, deer, and antelope in my freezer they got kilt by some a-hole using sub-$400 glass.

P

Bolt over semiautomatic. Seems to now be deciding on caliber, but sticking to smaller.
I got that part, bolt over autoloader.

To the OP, take a look at what kind of ammo is available before you choose. As much as I hate to say it, you'll probably find 6.5 Manbun is more readily available.

Stainless/synthetic is often a good choice if you'll be hunting in wet weather.

If you can find a used Tikka T3 Lite stainless in your price range buy it, then let me know. I can help you set it up.

P

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR