JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Help me understand the table. I'm looking at the inputs used to generate the data.

Average bullet weight used in the .30-06 was 205 grains? That's way heavy.

Average bullet weight for the 7mm-08 was 160 grains? That's way heavy.

The nonstandard bullet weights return questionable data.

I prefer the Chuck Hawks data.

P
On a side tangent, I just learned that Chuck Hawks died a couple months ago. We used to ride motorcycles, drink coffee, and talk about guns together back in the day.

Help me understand the table. I'm looking at the inputs used to generate the data.

Average bullet weight used in the .30-06 was 205 grains? That's way heavy.

Average bullet weight for the 7mm-08 was 160 grains? That's way heavy.

The nonstandard bullet weights return questionable data.

I prefer the Chuck Hawks data.

P
It's based on a composite of several loads not one single specific load. Here is a video where he goes through the methodology:

.308 is too much boom! Lol! I need something smaller, but I am looking at this 7mm mag in the classifieds. Its a weatherby Camille 7mm mag
A 7mm Mag will have greater recoil than a 308. It's an outstanding, flat shooting round and always seems to be on the shelves even during ammo panics. Recoil is generally considered to be on par with the 30-06.

The 7-08, 280, and 280 AI, along with the good old 7x57 are IMO the best of the 7's unless you need a lot of punch at long range.

If I could own only one rifle for everything it would be a 30-06. As I have collected rifles, i have found the 30-06 and 7mmRM are rarely used because for deer I like smaller cartridges like the 7x57,6.5x55 and 270. For elk i think a fast 30 or larger like 300 H&H, 338-06, 9.3x62... The 30-06 and 7mmRm sit in the middle and can do it all.

I have always believed in the concept one rifle one load. Yes a rifle can shoot many different loads but it is only sighted in for one load at a time. By sticking to one load once you get it sighted in providing the equipment will hold zero you should be able to count on the trajectory being the same each time barring external factors

I have always believed in the concept one rifle one load. Yes a rifle can shoot many different loads but it is only sighted in for one load at a time. By sticking to one load once you get it sighted in providing the equipment will hold zero you should be able to count on the trajectory being the same each time barring external factors
I do this as well. I'll use different rifles for different tasks but like to be able to pick up this rifle and this ammo can and know when I put the cross hairs on the target that is where the bullet goes.

.308 is too much boom! Lol! I need something smaller, but I am looking at this 7mm mag in the classifieds. Its a weatherby Camille 7mm mag
Think of a .270 as the same case (the piece of brass part that powder goes into and the bullet fits into) as the .30-06. The difference is the neck (the opening the bullet fits into) has been squeezed down so the bullet the .270 uses (.277") fits into it. The .30-06 is called the "parent case" because the .270 is based on the .30-06 case.

The .308 case has the same width dimension as the .30-06, it's just shorter. Both cartridges can shoot the same bullet. You can't put as much powder in a shorter case, so there's less boom and bullets of comparable weight won't go as fast in a .308.

Usually boom potential corresponds with case size. .30-06 and .270 share a similar case size. The .308 is the parent case to the 7mm-08 (that's where we get the "-08" part from) as well as the .243.

So for the most part you'll get less boom with cartridges based on the .308 case than those based on the .30-06 case.

The 7mm Rem Mag has a bigger case than the .30-06 so you'll get even more boom. I've killed elk and deer with 7mm-08, .30-06, and 7mm Rem Mag. Realistically, I could have killed them all with the least boom cartridge (7mm-08) because placement matters most and I'm a better shot with the lower boom cartridges.

You probably will be, too. I think most people are.

P

What military?
This one !
=9VIEdvckosIVFA&riu=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.gettyimages.jpg

Elk for me is a rare animal to find when hunting for them. I am lucky to find a week every other year to go elk hunting. When I see a elk I dont want to worry about being in a perfect setup and I dont likely expect I will find it. This means that I need to take the shot that is presented - it is for this reason that I want a little extra performance. To me a starting cartridge starts with the 30-06 with 180 premium bullets and goes up from there.

Elk for me is a rare animal to find when hunting for them. I am lucky to find a week every other year to go elk hunting. When I see a elk I dont want to worry about being in a perfect setup and I dont likely expect I will find it. This means that I need to take the shot that is presented - it is for this reason that I want a little extra performance. To me a starting cartridge starts with the 30-06 with 180 premium bullets and goes up from there.

My first rifle was a Winchester model 70 XTR in .30-06. I still have her, as well as two or three more .30-06s. I'll never be without one. I'm saying this to validate your experience.

That said, I haven't hunted with an -06 since 2013, when I began my journey with the 7mm-08. I've never felt under gunned.

If "the shot that is presented" is a poor presentation I'm not going to take it, whatever cartridge I'm carrying. I had a tough presentation on a bull a few years ago at almost 350 yards. He was hard quartering away, showing me his åss and part of his right side. No time to wait for a broadside shot. I had to put a bullet into his second-to-the-last rib on the right to catch both lungs. The bullet destroyed both lungs and exited a hair to the right of his left shoulder. He was on the ground before I regained the sight picture.

140 Nosler Partition from a stainless Tikka in 7mm-08.

P

Last Edited:
Marla, If you don't like the recoil of a 308, you won't be happy with a 7mm magnum. The word Magnum says "I Kick Hard!"
But if the 308 did not fit you well it would feel worse than a well fitted 30-06.

Some of the rifles that guys use after a shoulder or back injury are 6.5 CM, 7-08, 6.5x55, 30-30, etc. These are all mid power calibers capable of taking all but the biggest of game animals. You could kill a moose with one but it leaves no room for error. But the biggest factor in recoil is getting the gun that fits you. Good Luck DR

I've been shooting and loading for the '06 since '99. I found that I could use two different 180gr bullets, Ballistic Tip and Partition (the pointy version), shoot them at the same speeds and have nearly identical trajectories out to 400 yards. I'm not likely to shoot that far, so I was set. Then I added a Ruger 375 to the mix. With a 270gr bullet it mimicked the '06, just kicked a lot more.

I do this as well. I'll use different rifles for different tasks but like to be able to pick up this rifle and this ammo can and know when I put the cross hairs on the target that is where the bullet goes.
Right to the point, what good is a rifle that you can't do that with, right? All of our rifles are sighted in to what we will be shooting out of them. Sure, we check zero before each hunting season, but I know they were spot on when parked.

BUSH! BUSH LEAGUE! Buy a $300 rifle and a $2000 scope and go delete some stuff.

Whats the budget Lady?
Oh I agree that the optic should cost 3-5x the amount of the rifle. But Leupold mark 5, mark 6 and mark 8 line are quality optics. I have no complaints on my end.

In all honesty, most people won't pay $1500-$2500 (or more) for glass. May not be the best way, but most people still look at a scope as a needed accessory more than a valuable instrument.
I've been thinking about binoculars in that price range, though. Problem with that is, If I do I have to buy a pair for my wife, too!

In all honesty, most people won't pay $1500-$2500 (or more) for glass. May not be the best way, but most people still look at a scope as a needed accessory more than a valuable instrument.
I've been thinking about binoculars in that price range, though. Problem with that is, If I do I have to buy a pair for my wife, too!
yeah most people are dumb

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top