JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For hunting I prefer a bolt action rifle , if I am to use a modern rifle....

That said , my modern hunting rifle is a Winchester Model 94 in .30-30 from 1958...a really fun lever action rifle.
It suits my needs for where and how I hunt if I choose to hunt in modern season.

A rifle in .270 Winchester will make for a dandy hunting rifle....you could hunt just about anything you care to hunt in North America with it.

And with all that said...
The rifle I shoot , use and hunt with the most is none of the above....:D
Its my .54 Hawken rifle ...this rifle has won many a shooting match , and kept me fed with :
Grouse...
Antelope..
Deer...
Elk...
Black Bear...

Pick what you like...what feels good to you....and practice...both on and off the rifle bench....
Andy
Thank you! Very helpful! Whats a .54? Ive never seen that caliber

As far as hunting goes, bolt guns are much simpler to maintain and clean. Semi autos generate a little less recoil. Semis are a little more sensitive to very cold weather. Bolts require you to manipulate the action after every shot. Either makes a fine hunting gun. Semis used to be heavier, but that has changed, though you pay a hefty premium. Semis are typically much more expensive.
The weather is also important for me to consider its always raining and cold here. We definitely dont get snow like Montana! But if I only hunt in summer! Id never hunt! Lol

You have to get comfortable with what you are shooting. Everyone is different and has different needs, body's, minds and most of the important eyes. What is best for you is what is what you can shoot and get comfortable with. My advice like all others is salted with bias… enjoy the search. It's the best part. And why we have collections.

Besides what everyone else has said, if you're looking at long action cartridges like the 270, you'll be limited in semi-auto options and they are all heavy. Bolt actions can be made quite light.

One thing about the 270 Winchester, standard twist rates are on the slow side. Because of this, most bullet development is focused on hunting stuff that is great terminally, but bleeds energy quickly if used beyond 400 yards. There may be more match bullets on the horizon with the newer "6.8mm" (commie for .277) cartridges like the 6.8 Western with the 8 twist. But, the majority of 270 Winchester barrels will be 10 twist.

Which brings me to this: faster factory twists can be found in 6.5mm, 7mm, and .308 caliber cartridges. The .308 bores can be iffy if you're not careful. Some are twisted 11 or 12. Most are 10 twists, but that's not terrible for the bigger bore size.

Besides what everyone else has said, if you're looking at long action cartridges like the 270, you'll be limited in semi-auto options and they are all heavy. Bolt actions can be made quite light.

One thing about the 270 Winchester, standard twist rates are on the slow side. Because of this, most bullet development is focused on hunting stuff that is great terminally, but bleeds energy quickly if used beyond 400 yards. There may be more match bullets on the horizon with the newer "6.8mm" (commie for .277) cartridges like the 6.8 Western with the 8 twist. But, the majority of 270 Winchester barrels will be 10 twist.

Which brings me to this: faster factory twists can be found in 6.5mm, 7mm, and .308 caliber cartridges. The .308 bores can be iffy if you're not careful. Some are twisted 11 or 12. Most are 10 twists, but that's not terrible for the bigger bore size.

I was considering 6.5 crm since its being adopted by the military, I figured itll be a common round.
You have to ask yourself if the greater terminal performance (and flatter trajectory) of the 270 within 500 yards is worth more than the eventual catch-up of high BC 6.5 bullets beyond that range. For me, I limit myself to about 400 yards on game based on my ability to consistently hit a pie plate sized vital area from field positions. So, what happens beyond that makes no difference in a hunting rifle. I choose whatever's flatter and hits harder at 400.

Besides, the LR game is better suited by a rifle set up for that. Most hunting rifles are built to be carried a lot and shot less. That would be my second rifle.

You have to ask yourself if the greater terminal performance (and flatter trajectory) of the 270 within 500 yards is worth more than the eventual catch-up of high BC 6.5 bullets beyond that range. For me, I limit myself to about 400 yards on game based on my ability to consistently hit a pie plate sized vital area from field positions. So, what happens beyond that makes no difference in a hunting rifle. I choose whatever's flatter and hits harder at 400.

Besides, the LR game is better suited by a rifle set up for that. Most hunting rifles are built to be carried a lot and shot less. That would be my second rifle.
Makes sense!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads