JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have hunted with single shot shotguns when I was a kid and took my first white tail with one..I may find that I don't like hunting with the number 1 but have to try it to know
.Experience is funny like that.
There was five of us hunting that day and around the campfire we talked over events. It was a big event Jim missed. Years of watching his fast accurate shooting just didn't make sense he missed. The two hair cuts were a half inch apart. The bourbon made the talk interesting.

We decided he worked at a bench rest with the new gun and didn't shoot off hand enough to get used to the different length of pull. Jim was one of the finest shot I ever met and by the next hunt he was back to no misses.

As far as hunting goes, bolt guns are much simpler to maintain and clean. Semi autos generate a little less recoil. Semis are a little more sensitive to very cold weather. Bolts require you to manipulate the action after every shot. Either makes a fine hunting gun. Semis used to be heavier, but that has changed, though you pay a hefty premium. Semis are typically much more expensive.

My dad who passed in 2019 was an amazing shot with the BAR I now have
There were multiple times he pulled a double hunting white tail in the UP of Michigan..My step mother got so tired of eating venison
Sure has been a while since I have had some. The good old days.

Side note - sure seemed like the 30-06 was pretty destructive on those white tails. I really like using my 7×57 for this reason.

Something to consider in regards to recoil.....
If the stock does not fit you well....even a "mild recoiling cartridge" , can end up being uncomfortable.
No matter what rifle or cartridge you choose....make sure the rifle "fits" you.
Andy

Bolt gun = one shot, one kill. Gas gun = easy to go full retard.
Doug-Ford-Never-Go-Full-Retard.jpg

I have a winchester pre-64 in 358 Norma with the original stock that sure let's you know something went off. I personally believe pre-64 stocks are not designed for magnum cartridges. As the saying goes it kills on both ends

An old story repeated in the bars in Eastern Oregon around hunting season for elk. Man and wife hunting in the blue mountains for the first time and the husband warned her if she got an elk there are hunters that try to steal your game.

She is hunting out of sight of her husband and downs a great big elk. Sure enough a hunter comes walking up but she stands firm it's her elk and nobody is going to take it..

Guys says, can I at least have my saddle off it?

You can easily convert most gas operated firearms like a AR into a straight pull bolt action. Some gas blocks are designed to shut the gas off with a flick of a lever or by rotating a dial or knob. Can be useful in some sub-sonic suppressed applications or to mitigate cycling influence on accuracy. Here's one design of a left hand non-reciprocating, but you can just use a standard charging handle:
0SZkV3dl.jpg

:D any gun is a single shot if you only load one round into it. Never saw the sense of going with one shot.
The lak of action make for a short light gun even with a long barrel. A 28" .280AI that is still handy but provides enough tube to get the very most out of the round, a 20" .45-70 make a super short thumper perfer for dense woods.

The lak of action make for a short light gun even with a long barrel. A 28" .280AI that is still handy but provides enough tube to get the very most out of the round, a 20" .45-70 make a super short thumper perfer for dense woods.
First hunting rifle was a sporterized 03 in 06. Learned right away in the steep hills and tanglefoot jungles of western Oregon that shorter and lighter is better. Went with the 30 30 for a while and tried other guns but settled on a Remington 600 in 308. That's the rifle I killed the most food with in western Oregon.

First hunting rifle was a sporterized 03 in 06. Learned right away in the steep hills and tanglefoot jungles of western Oregon that shorter and lighter is better. Went with the 30 30 for a while and tried other guns but settled on a Remington 600 in 308. That's the rifle I killed the most food with in western Oregon.
This is something often overlooked by people recommending hunting guns. You spend a LOT more time carrying the stupid thing around than you do shooting it. In dense forest like most places out here in th e PNW, Something lightweight and handy that doesn't get in your way is way more valuable than anyone new might realize.

I love my Tikka 30-06, but there are a lot of times I wish I still had the Rem M7 7mm-08 16" in the woods.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads