JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I hold onto my two with the intent to fix them properly (i.e. not using TNW for anything), because when they run right, they're a lot of fun.
Great concept. Sh1thouse execution.
If I were to try to sell them, I'd have to ask scrap metal pricing otherwise.
I was trying to make one that was not a take down. IE the receivers would be bolted together, and the barrel secured similar to an AR. Never got around to finishing it before getting the axe. I was going to rethread the barrel end, machine a threaded sleeve that could house a proper barrel nut, either use a regular 9mm AR barrel and modify an ASR bolt or something along those lines.

I can still recall all the issues, even though it's been years.

The ASR has a double stepped chamber which causes a ton of problems. Feeding is a PITA. It's there as TNW likely never cared to actually find a proper weight buffer to ensure case ruptures (they literally use the same buffer for all calibers except 22). So if the case ruptured it would within the stepped portion of the barrel. Great idea, poor execution. Not to mention the barrel nut is aluminum (6065 or cheaper) with a hardened steel detent that keeps it from rotating out under fire. Too loose, the barrel walks out, too tight it literally strips the threads on the barrel nut. This was a huge problem, though the barrels were green mountain and of good quality, the barrel nut system would never allow for anything decent in terms of accuracy. The bolt guide screws are simply a McMaster Carr part, not that that's a big deal, but they aren't even close to identical in nature. The holes machined in the upper are deeper than needed to make up for the screws tolerances, I think, that or they just never thought to actually measure anything. Anyways, because of that combo of variables you could bind up the bolt or not have enough threads to actually guide the bolt. Usually they would be loctited somewhere in between in hopes they don't walk out or in so as to sort of work. The screws that hold the two receivers together, yep more mcmaster bulk screws. Combine those intolerances with TNWs machinework, the receivers rarely ever aligned well enough to be snug without something being misaligned. The would often never be fully screwed into place as they couldn't be, if the were, chances a drill bit was run through the lower receiver holes to cut into those screws to allow the pin to seat.

Thats all I feel like typing for now!

ill open by pointing out this thread was over 3 years old...

i remember the first time i heard of TNW... saw one of their monstrosities at that gun shop over on ... T.V. Highway? The Security Store, i think it was called? this was over a decade ago, im sure.. but i stopped in, saw a whackass welded steel handguarded AR 15 with horribly machined garish af billet receivers and craptastic tapco parts hanging off it and asked the employee if i could do a full disassembly and take some pics, and to my surprised he allowed it.

god that thing was an absolutely abysmal piece or bubblegum, not even fully assembled with nuts and bolts on finger tight. took some pics and did a review on M4C. i was happy to see a local builder, so i gave em the benefit of the doubt that it was basically a prototype and that their methods would improve.

they did not.

ill open by pointing out this thread was over 3 years old...

i remember the first time i heard of TNW... saw one of their monstrosities at that gun shop over on ... T.V. Highway? The Security Store, i think it was called? this was over a decade ago, im sure.. but i stopped in, saw a whackass welded steel handguarded AR 15 with horribly machined garish af billet receivers and craptastic tapco parts hanging off it and asked the employee if i could do a full disassembly and take some pics, and to my surprised he allowed it.

god that thing was an absolutely abysmal piece or bubblegum, not even fully assembled with nuts and bolts on finger tight. took some pics and did a review on M4C. i was happy to see a local builder, so i gave em the benefit of the doubt that it was basically a prototype and that their methods would improve.

they did not.
Lol, I remember that thing. A customer sent one in while I was there. Piston kept popping out and locking up as they never designed anything into it to port gases off after it reached a certain point. Customer was used to their run around and could care less about the rifle, kept sending it back more on principle than anything. I told him it was a bubblegum design and there wasn't a fix, tried talking TNW manager into letting me send it back with a DI upper. I can't fully remember if the guy was finally happy someone there actually told him the truth or if I got him another DI upper. Either way it was pleasantly entertaining listening to Tim try and tell me the design was fine and they had put hundreds of rounds through one in full auto! Then I'd take him over to the test fire area and literally have him watch the piston jump and the gun malfunction.

Lol, I remember that thing. A customer sent one in while I was there. Piston kept popping out and locking up as they never designed anything into it to port gases off after it reached a certain point. Customer was used to their run around and could care less about the rifle, kept sending it back more on principle than anything. I told him it was a bubblegum design and there wasn't a fix, tried talking TNW manager into letting me send it back with a DI upper. I can't fully remember if the guy was finally happy someone there actually told him the truth or if I got him another DI upper. Either way it was pleasantly entertaining listening to Tim try and tell me the design was fine and they had put hundreds of rounds through one in full auto! Then I'd take him over to the test fire area and literally have him watch the piston jump and the gun malfunction.
oh yea - i forgot it was a piston too

Have never owned a TNW but have heard horror stories about them for years fwiw. I excluded them from the list for that reason when searching for what PCC to buy. Too bad a local company is stinking it up.
Wise. Every now and then I still take one of the 3 I have and any time someone shoots one and likes it I say pick something else. There are now a TON of great choices for those who want a PCC. Like Reno said I too am kind of surprised the Co has been able to keep selling these. Obviously they have to be cranking out a lot of them that do work or they would have gone away. Owner its easy to see just keeps doing things this way because he can. If people keep buying your product I guess you can still keep treating a few poorly after you have their money because others keep buying your stuff. Really kind of a shame. :mad:

its all coming back to me now... yes, it was a piston, and had a supposedly quick change barrel setup that didnt work. i dont remember how they'd sloppily mig welded the contraption together, but we never could get the barrel back on once it was off... i left the rifle with him in a state of disassembly, but probably no less functional than when i came in

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top