JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I purchase the 1911 "Tank Commander" (4.25" barrel).
First impression is that the recoil spring is really "heavy"; racking the slide is upper body exercise!
Also, as mentioned earlier, the provided mags seem cheap; they don't hold the slide back on empty and the follower sticks out the front when empty.
Otherwise I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

View attachment 1430926
Ditto on the recoil spring. Did you replace yours?

I purchase the 1911 "Tank Commander" (4.25" barrel).
First impression is that the recoil spring is really "heavy"; racking the slide is upper body exercise!
Also, as mentioned earlier, the provided mags seem cheap; they don't hold the slide back on empty and the follower sticks out the front when empty.
Otherwise I'm extremely happy with the purchase.

View attachment 1430926
^^^These are an excellent value, with forged series-70 internals.

The Tisas Raider which came out this year is another great option. This is an M45A1 clone for about 1/3 the price of a Colt (if you can find a Colt). Plenty of good reviews on YouTube.

I was going to order the 10mm D10 but for the ugly trigger shoe and "-X-" engraved on the slide. It looks something from a dystopian science fiction movie with Vin Diesel. The trigger shoe I can replace but there is no helping the ugly slide. My OCD will not let me own an ugly firearm.

Ditto on the recoil spring. Did you replace yours?
Commander length 1911s need the heavier recoil spring, as the slide is lighter compared to a 5" slide.
Changing it to a government spring may cause reliability issues or possible damage due to spring stacking.
I'd leave it alone or buy a Wolff commander length spring.

Mine is so tight that the slide stop is impossible to release with one hand.
Your slide stop may have too positive angle of engagement. If your cycling is otherwise good, I'd check the slide stop. Also check that the detent isn't too deep where the plunger contacts it.
Your recoil spring may be stacked too.
Sounds like you may be in for some sleuthing to do...

I doubt you have any problems when you get the new mags it's all about the geometry of where the round comes into the chamber. They cheap out on the mags and the grips if anything but the rest of the firearm is very solid if they're going to cheap out anywhere that's where I'd rather have them do it.
I had the same problem with one of the Mec-Gar mags that came with my EAA Steel Compact. I purchased two extra Mec-Gar mags that were marked EAA on the packaging and they ran flawlessly. I couldn't get a round to chamber with the mag that came with the gun. I sent it back and the one they sent as a replacement worked great. The magazines have a thick rib that runs down the front inside of the mag - never seen one like it. That was causing the problem as it appeared to be off center, out of alignment. Maybe US vs. Italian made?

Mec-Gar makes magazines for many gun makers and I have never had a problem with them or extra mags. Mec - Gar has a great reputation.

...The magazines have a thick rib that runs down the front inside of the mag - never seen one like it. That was causing the problem as it appeared to be off center, out of alignment. Maybe US vs. Italian made?
Thick rib that runs down the side???
That sounds like a 9mm 1911 magazine.

1000001312.jpg

I finally got to the range with the Tisas. I didn't shoot for groups but shot a lot of steel and it is quite accurate right out of the box.

First outing today with the
1911 Carry SS45, Semi-Auto Pistol 4.25" Barrel, 45 ACP, 8 Round - Stainless Steel.

The good
Fired 110 rounds with 1 failure to feed.
230 gr ball
50 Winchester
50 Norma
10 Blazer

Is plenty accurate
Fun to shoot with light recoil
Easy to hand load the mags, even the 8th round

The Bad
Upon insertion of a fresh mag and depressing the slide release that first round will not chamber just pushes straight forward and into the bottom of feed ramp. Tried 7 round loads and same thing.

The way to make that first round load is A. hit the bottom of the mag with my palm or B. hold pressure on the bottom of mag while depressing the mag release.

Not a big deal, I would trust it in a carry situation as long as one was in the chamber.
I like to tinker so may mess with the mags or try a couple of different brands.

Shooting in the sunshine while standing in 8" of snow March 14th did not suck.

Stay tuned.
Tisas 1911 .45

In regards to the mags not feeding the first round, I read on another forum that flush fit 8 round mags can over compress the spring too far and to try the 8 rounders loaded with only 7 rounds. I cycled all of them this way and is much better. Even the Wilson Combat would cycle and that would never with 8 rounds in it.

2 mecghar
2 colt
1 wilson combat

Last Edited:
That's the Tisas's greatest weakness: The magazine it comes with!
The 'factory' magazine isn't actually produced by Tisas. All 3 of my OEM Tisas magazines had problems. Even after replacing the follower with the split GI type with the tit on it, the follower would bump the magazine release threw the hole and drop the magazine.

Fortunately the Tisas's magazine problem is easy to fix: Buy a new quality magazine for it. I use exclusively Colt or Checkmate, but have heard any 1911 magazine of known high quality will work.
Good info.
I prefer the added capacity of the TRIPP RESEARCH mags and have never had a problem with them in my Kimbers, Springfield Armory or Dan Wessons.

Screenshot_20231205_164009_Chrome.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads