JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Disclaimer, my day has been pretty annoying so I'm typing annoyed.

I'm kind of done trying these days. It's almost just not worth the effort to get outside and try to do anything anymore.

I've been looking forward to Fathers Day for a bit and I'd planned on getting out into the woods and having a relaxing day in one of the spots I know to be isolated usually near water.

We get up early, I pack everything as per normal, we hit the road.

Of course 26 is backed up as per normal on any sunny day as of lately. So it takes 45 minutes to get to Timber Junction from North Plains.

Once in the woods there isn't many folks driving around, but that does not mean they aren't in there.

First site, kind of off the beaten path, near a stream, a camper was there.

Second site, usually no one around for miles, a group there, using it to shoot. I was really annoyed as there is zero backstop at all and they were shooting all sorts of garbage. Normally, the part of me that does what it does for Trash No Land, I would get out and chitchat, but I wasn't in the mood so we just turned around and drove off. They never even stopped to allow us to, figuratively, safely turn around and not be shot.

Third area, many various sites, was just too crowded. Now I'm just down right, boarder line, furious.

At that point I called it, and I was done. It was no longer worth it to keep trying to eventually get to a point where I can relax. I don't think at that point if we found a nice spot, I could even actually relax.

The thing that really irks me, is, I'm starting to no longer even want to try doing this stuff anymore. Everything, everywhere, is busy.

Yes I know it was Fathers Day on a nice hot weekend, but still. Even on a weekday areas are insane. I'm done trying to venture further and further out to try and find a bit of sanctuary. I'll just stay home.

Anyways thanks for listening, if that's what you call reading this annoyed persons thoughts!

I hear you brother. I have headed out on a weekday several times and driven around all the usual places only to find people camping out or just shooting without a safe backstop. Another reason I joined Clark Rifles. Up to 300 yards, awesome RSO's and a sure thing to shoot. Makes the 45 minute drive well worth it! Now if only they would let us shoot steel..............:)

I know exactly what you are talking about, the other night I get home after sitting thru an hour of B.S. traffic...because apparently merging is a skill far beyond the common person.. I pull in the the driveway to see the wife and kids loaded up and ready to go grab some dinner :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: And then Wifey wonders why I'm pizzed off that I have to go drive with these freaking blowholes againo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Keep trying. A couple a years ago I had a good 6 campsites to myself up at Ollaie lake by Adams. Good times:D. A few miles away at Takalah lake, it looked like Disney Land:p

I have a spot 90 min from my house that I have hunted in and seems to be rarely traveled past a certain point.

I've seen animals and lots of sign but almost never another human which makes the sparse hunting just fine with me.

Between Memorial Day and Labor Day it's game on for the tourists. Funny thing is, before or after are usually pretty good.

One thing to remember, as you mentioned, is that it is Father's Day weekend and also the first weekend with no school for the kids...the perfect storm, if you will.

Pretty hard to find solitude on the coast or in the valley these days.

I feel your pain brother. It's getting harder and harder as the world is filling up.

I have a good spot when I'm in San Diego. But technically it's my good buddy's spot as he owns the land. There's 3.3 million people in the county and the county is huge. But it can be very hard finding a piece of solitude.

His place is up in the local mountains. It's about an hour and a half drive. An hour and a half and you're still well inside the county...big county. But I've long since given up shooting at public ranges because of the crowds and I'm tired of getting "muzzled" by idiots. So the 1.5 hour drive is fine. It's a pretty drive and there's breakfast and apple pie along the the way.

I'm not sure what I would do if I didn't have access to his place. Probably lose my mind. It's quiet and peaceful and pretty in a high dessert, scrub chaparral kinda way. And we've setup a nice little range.

All I can suggest is to keep looking. There are still places out there. If they were easy to find, they would be a big mess with people. Good luck! :)

sahGAiO.jpg

6WBRSyh.jpg

Too many people with no manners and a sense of entitlement and they're everywhere. That's why I live in the woods on a dead end road off another dead end road.
The longer I live here the more I avoid going to town as much as possible.

More an more yuppies and hipsters are exploring the woods, any spots that is close will be packed, popular hiking spots, or tourists spots.

Heck even the far out places are getting bad.

Last year hunting we round a corner and the a makeshift lot of portland hipsters all getting ready for a hike, I wanted to warn them to wear orange, but.......

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've since calmed down a bit since earlier today. Had a few alcoholic beverages, hung out with the wife and kiddo. Rented the new Lara Croft movie off Amazon.

Wasn't the worst day, but I still would have preferred spending it outdoors.

@L84Cabo that looks awfully nice. I'd be happy with a little slice of my own. Or just a friendship with someone that did. Paint me a bit jealous!

Just have to keep smiling. Your healthy and have your family . We went up to the shooting areas last night. All were busy. The real disappointing part was all 3 that we cleaned up extra nice on Thursday afternoon were "well used" with crap left behind. Talked to a couple of people in their 20's said they always clean up their stuff but normally leave the glass because it breaks down. Sure nuff they left their glass and their lids. The lake was busy today also. Probably could have filled the truck twice with junk left. And people wonder why stuff is getting shutdown. Felt wierd not picking stuff up but great day with the wife. Happy Father's day to all.

I'm sure this world can sustain many times the number we have currently. That doesn't mean we should try to hit that imagined peak breaking point. We need to stop robbing peter to pay paul with our entitlement system and quit taking in immigrants of any sort illegal and legal as well. With everything headed towards automation there won't be as many jobs to go around anyway. The brainwashed won't have kids because the world is too scary or they will have fallen for the latest LGBTWHATHEHELLEVERTHELATESTGARBAGEIS and willingly make their bloodline chaff. In a couple generations we'll be at the point where everyone has some elbow room again and everything will be lovely.

If not we'll either be under complete and total control cradle to grave or we'll have gone to the stars and found the necessary room.

It does suck not being able to get out in the wilderness away from folks when you want. But we'll just keep plodding along hoping things get better. Teach your children well, maybe they can help us figure this mess out. Happy Fathers Day fella's.

Pretty hard to find solitude on the coast or in the valley these days.

Any time you are close to combined metro areas of over a million people this is going to happen. I too don't venture out as much from my location south of Forest Grove. There is simply too many people recreating and hanging out for it to be enjoyable getting there, being there and getting back home.

I am staying close to home this summer finishing the remodeling work. I will head to Central Oregon for some sanity in a couple weeks and move there next year. It is only going to get worse in the valley and coast.

Some are just now getting fed up with the weekend worriors? I have basically been a hermit for better than 15 years, no doubt that it would be nice to get out with friends & family but a guy has to draw the line somewhere.

Years ago we used to go with an older couple up to Packwood for the annual Memorial Day and Veterans Day 3 Day swap meets. Nowadays is just a waste of time dealing with a bunch of idiots in the same place.:mad:

Weekday crowds are terrible in places that used to be empty except on weekends, worse so on hot days. Few years back, Wednesday and Thursdays were bring your own parking spot and bring your own rock out at Hagg Lake. The Wilson was equally bad. We wound up having to seek out other venues to get away from people and find someplace to cadt a line without 40000 other people.

I have grown to hate weekends because the sheer mass of jackwagons one must deal with when trying to relax.

My home on 20 wooded acres is my sanctuary. Best investment I ever made. I don't need to go anywhere to relax and unwind.

Of course, I spend 2 hours every weekday driving thru said mess of idiots to get to/from work to pay the mortgage, so in that sense it is a wash. But every night I get to come home to my woods and every weekend I can be out in them. Everybody who comes to visit me comments on how nice and quiet it is.

I know exactly what you are talking about, the other night I get home after sitting thru an hour of B.S. traffic...because apparently merging is a skill far beyond the common person.. I pull in the the driveway to see the wife and kids loaded up and ready to go grab some dinner :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: And then Wifey wonders why I'm pizzed off that I have to go drive with these freaking blowholes againo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I honestly don't kno how you do it. It was bad enough 2-1/2 yrs ago when I left the big N, and now it's just a PITA to drive to my office in Milwaukie. 205 is a parking lot northbound in the AM and the same both ways in the evening. I asked my wife why we hadn't been to the coast in 5yrs, and she says 'why, so we sit in a traffic jam behind some motorhome or prius'....

30 days and counting.....

I honestly don't kno how you do it. It was bad enough 2-1/2 yrs ago when I left the big N, and now it's just a PITA to drive to my office in Milwaukie. 205 is a parking lot northbound in the AM and the same both ways in the evening. I asked my wife why we hadn't been to the coast in 5yrs, and she says 'why, so we sit in a traffic jam behind some motorhome or prius'....

30 days and counting.....

Don't get me started on prius'

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top