JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just got done blasting quite a few parts in my shop, was shocked on how well this thing preformed. Zero aluminum oxide dust in the shop vac , all of it is in the 18 gallon container I purchased for this build. Aluminum oxide when blasting turns into such a fine dust that I was tired of cleaning my shop for hours after just 10 minutes of blasting.

Hook it up to anything, belt sanders , DA's , it works extremely good. Amazon sells them around $60 bucks shipped. You won't be disappointed,

Save yourself thousands of dollars if your interested in purchasing a dust collection system.
IMG_4628.JPG
The Dust Deputy DIY Standalone Anti-Static Cyclone Separator - Vacuum And Dust Collector Accessories - Amazon.com

Last Edited:
EL-Cheap-o versions are available on fleabay for - cheap. Was thinking about getting one until I found a few videos on youtube about home built versions, some made with a simple 5 gallon bucket and they work well.

That settled it, I'll be making one from a 5 gallon bucket. Works like this - drill 2 holes in the bucket top, one in center and one as far to the outer edge as possible. Next insert correct size PVC fittings, straight down in the center and a 90 degree elbow inside the bucket under the lid for the outer one then point it so it directs the air so it will swirl around in the bucket.

Hook up your VAC and go to it. Dude on youtube built this, tested it on camera and popped it open, then popped open the vacuum canister.

He sucked up debris and fine material. ALL OF IT was in the bucket and none in the vacuum canister. After watching that I decided I would not buy any version of this, I would build my own.

I am going to use mine to suck up metal chips from machine work I do.

Last Edited:
Just be careful with the home built 5 gallon buckets, didn't work for me..The dusty deputy makes a cyclone system to pull fresh air up through the middle of the cyclone and not whatever your dust debri is. I can see it working for metal chips, but I'm blasting with extremely fine aluminum oxide powder. This guy tried it all, even a water collection system in his 5 gallon bucket. He finally got a dust deputy.....

Last Edited:
My first one didn't work very well, so I cut a hole in the bottom of two other a buckets and stacked them to create a baffle system.
It works really good now.
I agree that the ultra fine powder from blasting might still be a challenge for the bucket system.
I'll do some tests soon.

IMG_1690.JPG IMG_1691.JPG

Seems the dust deputy works well because the funnel sets on top of a container, bucket? that holds the collected dust away from the vortex that separates out the dust/dirt.

Just using a bucket does not get the dirt down and away from the vortex & outflow that goes back to the shop vac. The double bucket system like Papa is using will work better. I seen a few people use 30 gallon trash cans and put a separator in the center so the dust/dirt stays down and away from the vortex and outflow.

I agree the bucket alone should work for metal chips but I would like something with more capacity, so I'll probably buy a 30 gallon trash can or find a smaller 30 gallon metal drum and place a separator in the center. That should work well.

I am a total diy'er and like that I should be able to make one that works well for me. The other thing I seen recommended was to place a dryer vent in the garage wall and put the outflow from your shop vac to it to keep the dust and some of the noise vented to the outside.

The outside venting would probably help you KeepnitReel, with the aluminum oxide dust, but if the dust deputy is doing the job, no need to go to that trouble.

~

I'm running the upgraded hepa filter in the shopvac, but not showing any signs of dust residue in the vac holding area, but good idea on noise. Then again it's hard to drain out the sound of a 25cfm industrial compressor o_O
Seems the dust deputy works well because the funnel sets on top of a container, bucket? that holds the collected dust away from the vortex that separates out the dust/dirt.

Just using a bucket does not get the dirt down and away from the vortex & outflow that goes back to the shop vac. The double bucket system like Papa is using will work better. I seen a few people use 30 gallon trash cans and put a separator in the center so the dust/dirt stays down and away from the vortex and outflow.

I agree the bucket alone should work for metal chips but I would like something with more capacity, so I'll probably buy a 30 gallon trash can or find a smaller 30 gallon metal drum and place a separator in the center. That should work well.

I am a total diy'er and like that I should be able to make one that works well for me. The other thing I seen recommended was to place a dryer vent in the garage wall and put the outflow from your shop vac to it to keep the dust and some of the noise vented to the outside.

The outside venting would probably help you KeepnitReel, with the aluminum oxide dust, but if the dust deputy is doing the job, no need to go to that trouble.

~

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads