JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Indoor or outdoor range? If it was an indoor range, that will make it seem extra loud. I've shot at an indoor once in my adult life, about a year ago. I was shooting a .357 which never bothered me outside, even at an open air range with a roof over the shooting area that I frequent. But in that enclosed room? That sucker was loud and the darkened interior made the muzzle flash intense.

I have pair of NRR 30 gun mufflers but also put earplugs in as well for indoor range shooting. Outside I just use my gun mufflers only.

A person needs to work up to recoil intolerance levels. Start with this.
1575698678852.png

Just an update for those of you who may be interested...

Wow, I never thought this thread would produce this many responses. Thank you to many of you for your wise and insightful posts. Among all the great posts, I really like what Mikej said in the other post, "Shoot it like it is until you get a natural urge to add stuff." And that's what I've done. After having shot the AR for a bit but mostly leaving it alone for a while, here's what's happened:

• My opinion remains the same, which is that I do not like the concussion and the recoil force of my AR. It seems excessive than other AR's. I keep wondering if there's something wrong with my AR since when I see people firing their AR's on YouTube, it has very little recoil compared to mine. I actually started another thread asking about this in this section.
  • I already wear earplugs beneath my earmuffs.
  • I have ordered the Geisselle buffer tube and braided wired spring. Hopefully that should tame some of the recoil and concussion. I am also looking at compensators or muzzle brakes. I'm thinking of the Jerry Miculek DPSM one due to its positive reviews and price. I may start another thread to get everyone's opinion on that.
  • I shoot at Tri-County and noticed that people already use the compensators there. Thus I won't feel bad about other shooters feeling the effects of my compensator since others are already doing it to me and I can feel their unpleasant concussions.
  • Also Tri-County does not allow shooting at steel using AR's. And so thanks for those suggestions but that's not possible for me.
  • If these do not solve the concussion and recoil problem, then I will sell this thing in the future when the market is right; since it is such a bad seller's market right now.

I see the incredible value and versatility of the AR platform. However I still prefer my handguns and the AR has yet to produce the same thrill or enjoyment. But an AR would certainly be useful for a major civil unrest kind of situation such as the Cascadia worst case scenario.

I also did get the CMMG .22LR conversion kit on a great deal on eBay. I have yet to try it out but hopefully that will add to the enjoyment of the AR. I also got an incredible deal on a scope and bipods during black Friday.

I know some people mentioned an AR pistol. If I had the money, I would try that. But what little money I have now will go towards the components and ammo.

By the way, nothing on this thread that's been posted has bothered me and I certainly did not feel insulted or disparaged in any manner. Unlike our ideological opponents, we generally do not get offended easily. My reaction tends to be a shrug and a yawn. Thanks again everyone. I'll see you on other threads.

Somebody posted that PSA uppers have oversize gas ports and I am just wondering how big they are? I had a 16" barrel once and the port was oversize and the bolt was trying to open before the port pressure went down and the result was the extractor was trying to rip a piece of the case rim off.

Is that what you are getting, deformed case rims?

I haven't read every post, but if your particular AR seems have significantly more recoil and concussion than similarly configured rifles, I'd submit that there's probably something amiss in the assembly, possibly the gas tube and/or the recoil components. 5.56 should be a relatively light recoiling rifle, other than the usual AR spring 'thwangggg.' If it doesn't have any kind of muzzle brake/flash suppressor, that will likely add to the 'concussion'/flash.

If you rule out something with the assembly/components, you might try a Kynshot hydraulic buffer. Easy drop-in component.

$.02 worth.

Boss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :eek: - This is a BIG deal folks:

If you haven't been paying attention, HB2241 and its companion SB6076 have been pre-filed in Olympia:eek::

Short version:

- Registration with the state of any semi-auto rifle (basically everything that gets discussed in this subforum:eek:)

- Prohibits a conversion kit, part, or combination of parts:confused:, from which an assault weapon (ie semi auto rifle) can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

- Is effectively a standard capacity magazine ban outside of a legally designated range/hunting.:eek:

Failure to comply = felony:eek:.

HB2241

More discussion:

Jan 17, 2020 - Rally 4 UR Rights, Olympia, WA.

I haven't read every post, but if your particular AR seems have significantly more recoil and concussion than similarly configured rifles, I'd submit that there's probably something amiss in the assembly, possibly the gas tube and/or the recoil components. 5.56 should be a relatively light recoiling rifle, other than the usual AR spring 'thwangggg.' If it doesn't have any kind of muzzle brake/flash suppressor, that will likely add to the 'concussion'/flash.

If you rule out something with the assembly/components, you might try a Kynshot hydraulic buffer. Easy drop-in component.

$.02 worth.

Boss

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMPORTANT :eek: - This is a BIG deal folks:

If you haven't been paying attention, HB2241 and its companion SB6076 have been pre-filed in Olympia:eek::

Short version:

- Registration with the state of any semi-auto rifle (basically everything that gets discussed in this subforum:eek:)

- Prohibits a conversion kit, part, or combination of parts:confused:, from which an assault weapon (ie semi auto rifle) can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

- Is effectively a standard capacity magazine ban outside of a legally designated range/hunting.:eek:

Failure to comply = felony:eek:.

HB2241

More discussion:

Jan 17, 2020 - Rally 4 UR Rights, Olympia, WA.

This is a great and insightful point. Since I built this rifle myself, I certainly don't trust that I did it right. I'm going to bring it to some experts and see if they can find any flaws with the way I put it together. Thank you for your post.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top