JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
again for Simplisafe, relatively inexpensive, you can run it unmonitored or monitored with 2 different levels. You're in Keizer so they will respond to it as long as there are no other higher priority calls. If you don't wont an alarm system, Ebay a legit alarm company front sign and window stickers, its still a visual deterrent. Same goes for a beware of dog sign and no trespassing sign. You already sunk in better screws. Motion and switched floods/spots. Clean up any bushes/brush that someone can hide behind. Meet your neighbors.

I'd love to get cameras setup with IR/IR floods / DVR , its a work in progress for us still

Look at Amazon for these. They have gotten amazingly cheap and good. The system we bought has IR camera's. I thought they would be a gimick. they actually work. First night I tried turning off all the outside lights to see how it looked. It is in B&W but with amazing clarity for a super cheap set up. You can even have them act as a motion alarm. Last time we went out of town I put on inside the house and set it to email me any time it detected motion. We could look at the inside and outside of the place at any time and even hear sounds.

Look at Amazon for these. They have gotten amazingly cheap and good. The system we bought has IR camera's. I thought they would be a gimick. they actually work. First night I tried turning off all the outside lights to see how it looked. It is in B&W but with amazing clarity for a super cheap set up. You can even have them act as a motion alarm. Last time we went out of town I put on inside the house and set it to email me any time it detected motion. We could look at the inside and outside of the place at any time and even hear sounds.

Check Costco & even harbor freight as well. I've no experience with any of those systems, but have seen them advertised & the price for features seems pretty decent.

Most seem "plug & play", but I think they'll need a Windows PC to get use of all the features.

Check Costco & even harbor freight as well. I've no experience with any of those systems, but have seen them advertised & the price for features seems pretty decent.

Most seem "plug & play", but I think they'll need a Windows PC to get use of all the features.
No expert since I only set up the one we have so far but it does not even need a PC at all if you don't want to use one. It needs a Wireless network but the PC is up to you. When I set mine up I hooked the NVR to a little 19" TV and was letting it use the default setting as I went along. Figured I could change things later. I plugged in one camera and was looking at it to mount it. After I got one up I went back to the NVR and saw it was recording me looking into it and such. Entertaining. They literally started working as soon as I powered them up. To see the system remotely on a phone is either IPhone or Android. They have the QR code or go to play store and load the app. After that anywhere your phone works you see the feed. I put the software on one PC here after it was all done just to see how it would work. After that I have never bothered to use it on another PC since I use a standard TV at the NVR and one of our phones anywhere else. Looking at systems with several different names on them it looks like they all come from the same factory. They are at least the same tech. Only cost difference is how much storage on an NVR and how many camera's (channels) you want to pay for. When they Wife bought the 4 channel one I thought it was a little over kill. I soon found I did like have 4. Many could get buy on the 2 which is half the price. For an 8 camera set up it was only a couple hundred more. VERY dead simple stuff. If I can do it ANYONE can. :)

No expert since I only set up the one we have so far but it does not even need a PC at all if you don't want to use one. It needs a Wireless network but the PC is up to you. When I set mine up I hooked the NVR to a little 19" TV and was letting it use the default setting as I went along. Figured I could change things later. I plugged in one camera and was looking at it to mount it. After I got one up I went back to the NVR and saw it was recording me looking into it and such. Entertaining. They literally started working as soon as I powered them up. To see the system remotely on a phone is either IPhone or Android. They have the QR code or go to play store and load the app. After that anywhere your phone works you see the feed. I put the software on one PC here after it was all done just to see how it would work. After that I have never bothered to use it on another PC since I use a standard TV at the NVR and one of our phones anywhere else. Looking at systems with several different names on them it looks like they all come from the same factory. They are at least the same tech. Only cost difference is how much storage on an NVR and how many camera's (channels) you want to pay for. When they Wife bought the 4 channel one I thought it was a little over kill. I soon found I did like have 4. Many could get buy on the 2 which is half the price. For an 8 camera set up it was only a couple hundred more. VERY dead simple stuff. If I can do it ANYONE can. :)

Thanks for the info, appreciated! Didn't know a PC isn't needed - Mac household.

Might get one to supplement our current monitored system.

I've chosen SimpliSafe as my alarm system. Put sensors on all the windows and doors including the roll up garage door. Overlapping motion sensors that are on in the "away" mode as well. Two interior sirens that are painful to be around when they're going off. They didn't have cameras with the system but there's scuttlebutt that they're developing some. I've read about some people rigging independent strobes to them with a relay. Not part of the system but a decent techy type can figure it out.

I went with discreet Yi cameras and a OBVIOUS Uniden 4 camera system. The Uniden system cameras are okay, but not great. Would be tough to get a really good ID off them. Always a slight delay in the recording so they're a touch jerky. Go for a good HD camera system if you're buying one.

The Yi cameras are pretty good and are quite simple and cheap. I use them to supplement the 4 camera Uniden system. Also I can access the video and audio feeds off my phone. It can be set for motion alarm as well to notify you via phone.

Hardening issues have been covered well. I went with the Door Devil system. The door won't get kicked in with that in place. Glass doors and side windows are supposed to be tempered so they're tougher than you think. The other windows are the weak ones.

Motion activated flood lights are also high on my list of musts.

Finally knowing the neighbors is critical. Mine are all good and we've exchanged keys to one another's homes long ago. A website and phone app that I find useful is NextDoor. Get lots of good intel from the extended neighbors on the system.

Gun safes from Shotlock round it out. Mechanical pushbutton locks keep the guns out of the hands of the littles when they're visiting. Easily opened by feel in the dark.

Good luck!

After an attempted break-in a couple of years ago we installed exterior Battery Motion detector lights (Mr Beams brand). Light is always a good deterrent.
upload_2016-11-19_17-45-51.png

We also purchased door security bars from home depot.
These bars might not stop someone but it will sure slow their entry down while making a big commotion.

Without some kind of bar, I afraid any door that opens to the interior would be toast after a kick or two.
*** Ever check out the grain direction of the wooden door jamb?

door-security-bar.jpg

From the Facebook post:

An easy way to help your friends and family this holiday season. For Black Friday, you and anyone you know can take 20% off any SimpliSafe system, when you use code FAMILY20. Tag a friend, loved one or neighbor to help them get SimpliSafe.

New locks on the doors.

Deadbolts on the front door and garage door.

Don't leave tools or ladders outside. Maybe thorn bushes in front of vulnerable windows.

A good fence that is locked.

Motion lights and motion cameras that will notify you when tripped.

A good dog and a gun that everyone of a reasonable age in the house knows how to use.

I'd also park in the garage so it is more difficult to tell when you are home. I'd also draw the blinds after dark.

Anything fancier than that, I'd go with some home automation stuff like Webmo devices on lights so you can control them through your phone.

We live on rural acreage, rather than in the suburbs, but the measures taken should apply to both:

• Good locks.
  • Motion lights that are all around the house.
  • ADT security for break-in and fire. So far, I've been pleased with their service.
  • Two smallish, wireless cameras that face the only way to our drive-way. I can, and does, record by motion activation and can be looked at from a TV setup.
  • A wireless visitor chime. I have the box set up at the top of the driveway and it chimes when someone is approaching.
  • Doweling cut to size and placed in window tracks.
  • Game camera further up the hill.
  • Fire extinguishers in several locations.
  • Pad locks on anything we don't want messed with (e.g., out buildings, water bib, electricity-related panels, etc.).
  • Secured, but accessible firearms.
And problem some things I'm forgetting. Hope that helps. :)

We live on rural acreage, rather than in the suburbs, but the measures taken should apply to both:

• Good locks.
  • Motion lights that are all around the house.
  • ADT security for break-in and fire. So far, I've been pleased with their service.
  • Two smallish, wireless cameras that face the only way to our drive-way. I can, and does, record by motion activation and can be looked at from a TV setup.
  • A wireless visitor chime. I have the box set up at the top of the driveway and it chimes when someone is approaching.
  • Doweling cut to size and placed in window tracks.
  • Game camera further up the hill.
  • Fire extinguishers in several locations.
  • Pad locks on anything we don't want messed with (e.g., out buildings, water bib, electricity-related panels, etc.).
  • Secured, but accessible firearms.
And problem some things I'm forgetting. Hope that helps. :)

Fire extinguishers! Often overlooked, excellent reminder for all. Put them in "the usual" locations throughout your home (kitchen, garage, shop), as well as bedrooms & next to exits.

I prefer Halons, but as they're hard to find these days only have a few. One goes in the camper, along with a Chem powder type. Halons are super handy to shoot thru a radiator grill in the event of a crash/trail fire (you don't have to pop a hood)...handy if you have a bunch of expensive computers/electronics...non caustic...but removes oxygen from confined spaces so beware.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top