JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently bought my first house. To say the PO had no cares about security would be an understatement, they went out of their way to remove fences, and generally make home modifications that make me slap my own forehead.

Im curious as to what my fellow preparedness minded NWerners think would be a worthwhile investment for a little normal suburban home security?

I was thinking motion lights in the front and the back, already put 3 1/2 screws in all my door plates vs the standard 1/2 or so, just not sure what is worthwhile, and google seems to just want to sell me a month to month security package.

We use an ADT monitored home security system,and it has been great.
The 2 times I've accidentally set the alarm off,they were on the phone with me before I could make it to the keypad.
I can control it from my phone,and see when the wife gets home,opens doors,etc.
Its around $55 a month,but it has set my mind at ease.
If you really wanna get hardcore,you can have cameras installed.
Other than that,I just keep my gates locked,lights on,and stay on good terms with my neighbors..

Oh,and a dog with a loud bark is never a bad idea-but you have that one covered if I recall;)

2nd the Simply Safe idea. Great alarm.
The other is cameras. These have gotten LIGHT YEARS better in the last many years. As with all "tech" they have also gotten a LOT cheaper. I had wanted and was going to get a couple of the lower end kind. Record to a SD card and can be seen on your phone. Wife poo poo's the idea as un needed. I was just going to buy one. Then one night she forgot to lock her car and someone got into it. No great loss but is scared her. She informed me she had ordered a 4 camera system (Reolink) with a 1TB recorder. I was a little worried about setting it up. Damn thing is literally plug and play. It was $400. You can get them starting at less than $100. They are a great piece of mind when not home. That at any time you can look and listen to what's going on at the house. Can even have it contact me if someone is there by my phone. I work nights and love it when I'm home. If sleeping and the dogs start raising hell I can see from bed what's up. If it's just a cat in the front yard, or if FedEX is dropping off some more .22 ammo for me. :) Best money we ever spent. Works great for renters too. All wireless. You can pack it up and take it anywhere with you.

If you haven't already - change the locks. No telling who, besides the previous owner had a key.

Before spending a lot of money, think in terms of what makes your house an attractive target to thieves: fences that are easy to defeat, tall landscaping to hide behind, windows and sliding doors that are easy boost, etc. If you do get an alarm system, make sure the installers don't leave exposed wiring on the outside of the house where it can be easily identified and snipped.

Install deadbolts. Make sure doorknobs and locks are not accessible from any window or relight. Use motion sensors to trigger outdoor lights. [If you can, put the light high enough that the bulb can't be reached without a ladder.] If you have a fence, make sure it's high enough, and secured, as thieves like to break-in through back doors to the house or garage which are typically less visible to the neighbors or from the street.

Get to know your neighbors - are they dependable and safety conscious or a potential source of trouble. Is there a neighbor watch program in place? Your insurance company may have suggestions, or even a deduction for certain improvements.

Keep any out buildings or sheds locked. If you're going to be away, put a stop on your mail and newspaper, and use timers on lights to give the appearance of being home. If you have a second car, leave it in the driveway. Add sash pins on windows and a bar/stick in the track of a sliding door.

Most thieves are teens and twenty-something druggies. They want the quick easy stuff - so if someone does break in they will go first to the master bedroom, and then check your freezer and bedroom closets.

Last Edited:
Solid answers so far! I should mention as well most windows have new locks, double in most cases, and I have wood in the sliders as well.

I need to get all my locks swapped because they are all different, still havent figured out if I need to call a locksmith or just buy new ones from lowes and have them all matched.

My rear light is a light sensor but not motion so I want to swap with that, front light is just an on off so I want that motion as well.

My garage door has an electric opener and a deadbolt I always use since I dont park in it...flood light above it on the outside as well.

My biggets worry is my rear doors are french doors that are 70% glass...these are also the doors to my newborns nursery.

If you have good neighbors, maybe interleave lighting and cameras between your properties so there's nowhere to hide between their wall and yours--ideally a system where you have coverage of both your own properties and each others' and can share data in realtime.

Garage door opener would be a worry--never leave the remote in the car, and make sure you have an exterior-grade security door between garage and main house.

NO signs about "Protected by Smith & Wesson," "Forget Dog Beware of Owner," etc. that advertise "bangsticks here."

It's all about sending two messages:
1. "Nothing worth having here."
2. "Taking anything here WILL be more trouble than it's worth."

Put a deadbolt on the other side of your garage door as well, if it doesn't have 2 already. Most only have 1, which is nice, but methhead bob can still lift the other side up enough so methhead sally can squeeze under it.

Check out those master lock security bars, most big box stores have them. Handy for when you all are home, or even to set on doors not as frequently used.

Solid answers so far! I should mention as well most windows have new locks, double in most cases, and I have wood in the sliders as well.

I need to get all my locks swapped because they are all different, still havent figured out if I need to call a locksmith or just buy new ones from lowes and have them all matched.

My rear light is a light sensor but not motion so I want to swap with that, front light is just an on off so I want that motion as well.

My garage door has an electric opener and a deadbolt I always use since I dont park in it...flood light above it on the outside as well.

My biggest worry is my rear doors are french doors that are 70% glass...these are also the doors to my newborns nursery.

I've seen a lot of home burglaries talked about in the news where the burglar has simply kicked in the front door. Put a security door on the outside of your front door, and that will then make 2 doors for a burglar to have to get through. That thief will probably pass your house by and hit someone else. A security door will also make it much safer for you to answer your front door.

Another thing that will make burglars go elsewhere is if you have a fence blocking access to the sides and rear of your home. Whenever I see a burglary listed for a home locally, I take a look at the home on Google Maps, and sure enough, the home typically has no fence. Then make sure that your side gate has a good deadbolt on it too.

Burglars are generally lazy and stupid. Most are Meth heads, and want easy access into the home. Common sense precautions like these can help you out a lot.

Good advice upthread. I put bars on the basement windows and rebuilt my side door frame with some Oregon white oak I had laying around. If the side door gets kicked in, it will shatter the door now, not the frame: and will be much more effort. Additionally, I put a Canary in the house. When I bought it, they kept recordings for free, now they charge. Not sure I'd do this one again, but it works well and I'm happy with it. Canary - A complete security system in a single device.

If you do get an alarm system, make sure the installers don't leave exposed wiring on the outside of the house where it can be easily identified and snipped.

That is one of the key advantages of the Simplisafe Alarm that has been mentioned. It is totally wireless. So there is no way for burglars to disable it from the outside.

If you have a fence, make sure it's high enough, and secured, as thieves like to break-in through back doors to the house or garage which are typically less visible to the neighbors or from the street.

A good solid fence will do a lot to discourage thieves, as long as any gates to the backyard are also locked and secured.

If you're going to be away, put a stop on your mail and newspaper, and use timers on lights to give the appearance of being home.

That is an important tip. My parents had their home burglarized one weekend back in the early 70's while I was away in college. They took a short trip that weekend, and failed to notify the newspaper. So when they got home, there were newspapers for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday sitting in their front yard, and they discovered that our home was broken into.

Most thieves are teens and twenty-something druggies. They want the quick easy stuff

And that is also why doing these things to make the home difficult to break into, will often discourage thieves enough so that they will simply pick on someone else, and not your home. After all, why would they want to deal with a tough target, when they have much easier pickings available?

I go for sturdy dead bolts on all doors from the outside. Installed into the door frames with 3" screws. A bg would not be able to kick these in unless he brought a lunch along with him.

again for Simplisafe, relatively inexpensive, you can run it unmonitored or monitored with 2 different levels. You're in Keizer so they will respond to it as long as there are no other higher priority calls. If you don't wont an alarm system, Ebay a legit alarm company front sign and window stickers, its still a visual deterrent. Same goes for a beware of dog sign and no trespassing sign. You already sunk in better screws. Motion and switched floods/spots. Clean up any bushes/brush that someone can hide behind. Meet your neighbors.

I'd love to get cameras setup with IR/IR floods / DVR , its a work in progress for us still

Garage door opener would be a worry--never leave the remote in the car, and make sure you have an exterior-grade security door between garage and main house.

For garages with a motorized opener, the easiest way to get in without the remote is to shove a wood wedge in at the top center of the door, and then use a wire coat hanger to grab the track release and pull. Most track releases have a 12"+ cord attached with a plastic button on the end so the home owner can easily disengage the door from the drive and open it manually. I removed the cord on mine, and used a twist-tie to secure the release lever to the motor bracket.

+1 on having a security door between the house and attached garage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top