Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tips on a .22 Lever Gun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, Mar 7, 2012.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I'm looking at lever action .22s, what do I need to know before I buy one? I've been planning on buying a Henry.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

The henry is a great choice. I love mine and it's insanely accurate. Check Bimart. They will be the best price in town, even better when they go on sale. I got the plain model as the golden boy didn't fit me that well.

It will cycle just about any 22 cal made (Except 22 WMR). With CCI CBs (Shorts) it quieter than a pellet gun.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  3. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

+1 on the Henry - never owned one but held many and I think they are great. However if you want to spend some time looking and don't mind spending a little more look for a Browning BL22 - perfection in a lever gun. The Winchester 9422 is a close 2nd and then comes the Marlin .22s. I have owned a Browning and currently own a Marlin Golden 39A which is probably the longest and heaviest .22 lever gun ever made but is an absolute tackdriver. I would say these are the Top Four lever 22s made. Ithaca made a nice lever 22 many years ago but I have not seen one in a while and there are probably not too many out there.

4. billc

billc Albany Member

I've had a Browning BL22 for years. I like that the trigger moves with the lever, no pinches! The short throw for the lever is a nice touch. Probably more accurate than I am. Definitely on the never sale list.
    I just picked up a no-frills Henry in a trade. Really like this one also. Longer throw on the lever and the trigger stays in place causing a pinch point when closing the lever. Overall, also a great gun.

5. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Don't remind me........

6. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Henry's are OK for a cheap new rifle but I like my old Mossberg and my Ruger 96/22 and 96/22mag. All are lighter than the Henry and have short throws.

7. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

For the money, the Henrys can't be beat. However, you get what you pay for, and a Henry is no exception. The receivers are pot metal, and a lot of the innards do not have a lot of tolerance. They are cool, but will not last to pass down to grandchildren. I had one in .22 mag and I really liked it, but I did not want something that would not last. Now I am looking for an older Marlin 39a. They are heavy, but from what I have seen they are the most accurate, and I really like that they can be broken down for cleaning, unlike the the Henry guns.

8. Dannicus

Dannicus Tacoma Active Member

Don't be too worried by the metal that the receiver is made of. "Potmetal" gets thrown around alot, but it's not the high zinc crap that comes to mind when people say potmetal. It a die cast alloy just like the 10/22 and the Marlin semis are made of. If you take one apart, they are surprisingly well put together for the price. Nothing about the action can be described as sloppy or gritty, as a matter of fact they have the smoothest action of any lever .22 I've ever felt. I also have no doubt that a Henry would last a couple of generations.

All that being said, they don't compare to the 39A or BL22 in construction. They'll shoot all day right beside them, but they just aren't made to the same class.

9. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

I've owned a henry and it was nice. BUT I ended up selling it because I didn't like the finish which started to chip away. I replaced it with a hand me down marlin 39 from my Grampa. It is in a different class then the henry. It will be passed down to my son, it's third generation, when he is ready. Something a henry will never be able to do. At least not the newer ones.

10. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think the Marlin 39A is the prettiest .22 lever ever made. Not cheap, and I have read that quality kind of dropped off on the most recently manufactured guns, but I would love to find a nice older model one of these days.

Never heard or read a bad thing about the Henry's, and they are a nice looking rifle as well.

11. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Class is over
    Great gun and accurate.Just a kick in the pants to shoot

12. jbuck

jbuck PNW Member

The only thing I didn't like about the henry is the finish is like a powder coat finish. It started chipping around a small scratch and opened up to the size of a penny before I knew it.

13. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

I cannot comment on the .22 Henry. What I can say is that a '50's or '60's Marlin 39 is an incredible gun. I believe 1972 is really when the production quality on Marlin lever guns went out the door. If Henry is still 100% US made, then you are making a fine choice. Kip.

14. curling leaf

curling leaf Jacksonville, OR Member

This "pot metal" phrase is a negatively spun exaggeration. Henry is a rifle that you will pass on to your kids and grandkids.

15. Dannicus

Dannicus Tacoma Active Member

Thread resurrection!

Judging by the weight of it, I'd say that it is a pretty high zinc content alloy. Describing it as pot metal is a bit harsh, tho. In this application, this metal will certainly hold up for many many years. The finish, however, will not. Henry's are a great value and a good shooting gun. Not up to the material and finish standards of marlin. But I'm sure they will function just as long.

16. GED

GED North Idaho Active Member

I'd look into a Winchester 9422 too, esp. an earlier one made in the 70s-90s.

17. curling leaf

curling leaf Jacksonville, OR Member

18. GED

GED North Idaho Active Member

Just got a .22 XTR last week and a 9422M about a month ago-check out the thread in this section under "Winchester Model 9422".

But the one on GunsAmerica seems a tad high priced-I got my 1981 XTR for $820-it's also been only test fired-and came with the original box and papers.

19. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The Henry is a fine shooting gun for the price but that finish on the action is a might hard to look at once damaged.
    I have most all of the lever 22's and have to say the Winchester 9422 XTR is about as smooth as it gets. (got to pay for it though)

GED and (deleted member) like this.
  20. mattg521

mattg521 portland.,or Member

If i remember correctly I paid $140 for my Henry used on this site. I also own a 39a, also purchased on this site for what I cannot remember but it was a lot more than $140. I own a few other rifles including a couple of other .22's. The cheap Henry is my favorite rifle to shoot hands down.