JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think that's correct once it's dried. I don't think you'll damage anodizing with most solvents, it's not exactly a coating, more like aluminum's answer to case hardening. Lacquer thinner would probably do the trick, although you might have to resort to an actual paint remover, if you were closer I'd offer you some of my coffee :D. Actually, Citri-Strip is a surprisingly effective finish remover, I used it to remove the plastic coating on my old Airstream travel trailer. Good luck.

Dave

IF it's actual shellac, alcohol will remove it even when it's dried. Lacquer thinner (acetone) might, but will/could permanently damage any plastic or other finish it touches.

I don't think that's correct once it's dried. I don't think you'll damage anodizing with most solvents, it's not exactly a coating, more like aluminum's answer to case hardening. Lacquer thinner would probably do the trick, although you might have to resort to an actual paint remover, if you were closer I'd offer you some of my coffee :D. Actually, Citri-Strip is a surprisingly effective finish remover, I used it to remove the plastic coating on my old Airstream travel trailer. Good luck.

Dave
Alcohol will dissolve dried shellac, for certain.
Best,
Gary

I cannot speak for Parkerizing as I have no experience with it but for "anodizing" as the word industrially applies in my mind of using electrically applied dyes or clear on aluminum to apply color , protection or just for surface hardening aluminum, Alcohol will thin and soften Shellac so it may be removed with a rag for sure but I also would try any handy solvent of your choice which may work faster since few if any will harm Anodized things. I've used Alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, paint thinner (and maybe even MEK I don't remember) on anodized things to remove paint,, adhesive gums, and grease, without harm to the anodized object. (some may require secondary cleaning to remove residue) Obviously try a small unobtrusive spot first.

I cannot speak for Parkerizing as I have no experience with it but for "anodizing" as the word industrially applies in my mind of using electrically applied dyes or clear on aluminum to apply color , protection or just for surface hardening aluminum, Alcohol will thin and soften Shellac so it may be removed with a rag for sure but I also would try any handy solvent of your choice which may work faster since few if any will harm Anodized things. I've used Alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, paint thinner (and maybe even MEK I don't remember) on anodized things to remove paint,, adhesive gums, and grease, without harm to the anodized object. (some may require secondary cleaning to remove residue) Obviously try a small unobtrusive spot first.
Yeah, if you've used MEK you're excused if you don't remember. :D That bubblegum's pretty nasty.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top