Tips for removing shellac?

daved20319

Reactions
I don't think that's correct once it's dried. I don't think you'll damage anodizing with most solvents, it's not exactly a coating, more like aluminum's answer to case hardening. Lacquer thinner would probably do the trick, although you might have to resort to an actual paint remover, if you were closer I'd offer you some of my coffee :D. Actually, Citri-Strip is a surprisingly effective finish remover, I used it to remove the plastic coating on my old Airstream travel trailer. Good luck.

Dave

K-22

Reactions
I don't think that's correct once it's dried. I don't think you'll damage anodizing with most solvents, it's not exactly a coating, more like aluminum's answer to case hardening. Lacquer thinner would probably do the trick, although you might have to resort to an actual paint remover, if you were closer I'd offer you some of my coffee :D. Actually, Citri-Strip is a surprisingly effective finish remover, I used it to remove the plastic coating on my old Airstream travel trailer. Good luck.

Dave
Alcohol will dissolve dried shellac, for certain.
Best,
Gary

thorborg

Reactions
I cannot speak for Parkerizing as I have no experience with it but for "anodizing" as the word industrially applies in my mind of using electrically applied dyes or clear on aluminum to apply color , protection or just for surface hardening aluminum, Alcohol will thin and soften Shellac so it may be removed with a rag for sure but I also would try any handy solvent of your choice which may work faster since few if any will harm Anodized things. I've used Alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, paint thinner (and maybe even MEK I don't remember) on anodized things to remove paint,, adhesive gums, and grease, without harm to the anodized object. (some may require secondary cleaning to remove residue) Obviously try a small unobtrusive spot first.

Reactions
I cannot speak for Parkerizing as I have no experience with it but for "anodizing" as the word industrially applies in my mind of using electrically applied dyes or clear on aluminum to apply color , protection or just for surface hardening aluminum, Alcohol will thin and soften Shellac so it may be removed with a rag for sure but I also would try any handy solvent of your choice which may work faster since few if any will harm Anodized things. I've used Alcohol, acetone, lacquer thinner, mineral spirits, paint thinner (and maybe even MEK I don't remember) on anodized things to remove paint,, adhesive gums, and grease, without harm to the anodized object. (some may require secondary cleaning to remove residue) Obviously try a small unobtrusive spot first.
Yeah, if you've used MEK you're excused if you don't remember. :D That bubblegum's pretty nasty.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom