JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently picked up a pretty rough 1858 Remington... gummed up pretty bad, the guts were packed with soot and sludge... could barely get the cylinder pin out.

Anyhow, disassembling it for a cleaning and inspection and I have it all down but for ONE stupid nipple that wont budge.

Ive soaked it from both ends with penetrating oil and the two nipple wrenches I have just arent making it.

They are almost bending and rounding off, all while the nipple sits there laughing at me.

Any other ideas on this, other tools that can be improvised?

The nipple itself is clear and I suppose I could just leave it in there, but I would like to be able to get it out.

I used to use Kroil and then there was another product only sold on Tv, not in any stores they said. Think it was mostly kerosene. Spray, soak for a day, repeat.
Hope the humor comes through (give her a twist and ask her to whistle)

After soaking overnight in 50/50 atf/acetone put the cylinder in a PADDED VISE. As you torque on the nipple turn it briefly toward tightening then as you torque to loosen push down hard and take a small hammer and taptaptaptaptaptap on the nipple wrench as you torque to unscrew it. The tapping on the wrench can help break up the rust and work the oil into the threads. A brief turn to tighten can also break up the rusted parts. After you get the nipples out apply anti-seize grease to all the nipple threads before re-installing.

When all this is completed make your own 'custom' nipple 'wrench' out of a screwdriver style nut driver.

Find one that fits around the nipple and cut slots in it to fit the 'flats' of the nipple. Heat and harden the end and you will have the best nipple wrench made!

I have done this myself and will post a pic if you would like.

When all this is completed make your own 'custom' nipple 'wrench' out of a screwdriver style nut driver.

Find one that fits around the nipple and cut slots in it to fit the 'flats' of the nipple. Heat and harden the end and you will have the best nipple wrench made!

I have done this myself and will post a pic if you would like.
What did you use to cut it?

The wrenches are my problem, nothing fits well enough. These wrenches are made for normal removal.

Anymore, I just hand these type of projects to Velzey, since I would just screw it up and he would just have to fix my ham fisted mistakes.

What did you use to cut it?
If I recall I used a fine hacksaw blade and cleaned it up with a thin file.

I need to make another but will do it differently this time!

IMG_1902.JPG

I recently picked up a pretty rough 1858 Remington... gummed up pretty bad, the guts were packed with soot and sludge... could barely get the cylinder pin out.

Anyhow, disassembling it for a cleaning and inspection and I have it all down but for ONE stupid nipple that wont budge.

Ive soaked it from both ends with penetrating oil and the two nipple wrenches I have just arent making it.

They are almost bending and rounding off, all while the nipple sits there laughing at me.

Any other ideas on this, other tools that can be improvised?

The nipple itself is clear and I suppose I could just leave it in there, but I would like to be able to get it out.
This whole situation could have been avoided...........As any black powder shooter knows, to clean soon after shooting with ................
HOT WATER with suds!!!
In this case, take the cylinder out and cook it for awhile in plain old boiling water (don't add suds as it will boil over and make a mess). Should loosen up-if not - Rinse and Repeat

In case you haven't cured it yet... The acetone/atf is pretty effective...I use it at 50/50. but no matter what you use, don't be in a rush to get it out.... let it sit in the solution for a few days... just forgetaboutit...Most people rush to get frozen/rusted stuff fixed in too much of a hurry...

cln Crusty 1.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top