JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up a pretty rough 1858 Remington... gummed up pretty bad, the guts were packed with soot and sludge... could barely get the cylinder pin out.

Anyhow, disassembling it for a cleaning and inspection and I have it all down but for ONE stupid nipple that wont budge.

Ive soaked it from both ends with penetrating oil and the two nipple wrenches I have just arent making it.

They are almost bending and rounding off, all while the nipple sits there laughing at me.

Any other ideas on this, other tools that can be improvised?

The nipple itself is clear and I suppose I could just leave it in there, but I would like to be able to get it out.

I had the same issue with an older rifle I purchased. Tried penetrating oil, PB blaster, etc, couldn't get the nipple unfrozen.

Wound up taking it to a gunsmith, and it sounds like he ended up cutting a slot into it with a Dremel so he could get a flat head screwdriver in there and get better leverage on it.

Thankfully they're pretty cheap to just replace.

Time for the Blue Wrench! :(

Try a heat gun first, spritz some penetrate and heat it up for a few min to try and draw the lube into the threads!
May take a few tries, but it should break it loose!

Woah there, slow down bud! You can't just go for it on the first date and expect good results :s0114:

Sorry, I had to go there. In all seriousness, try a bit of heat from a propane torch.

Had a breach plug rusted solid, couldn't heat it enough, so I ran it through an electrolis bath for a few hours and it came right out! Had to re blue the whole thing, but it needed it any way!

Image result for tongue stuck to pole

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads