JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well just picked up a Rossi 92. Haven't loaded for a lever action yet and haven't really read up on it since I just got it a few hours ago. The only thing I know so far is the crimps need to be good and tight. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Well just picked up a Rossi 92. Haven't loaded for a lever action yet and haven't really read up on it since I just got it a few hours ago. The only thing I know so far is the crimps need to be good and tight. Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.
What caliber did you pick for that Josh? I been looking at those.

Edit: Never mind just re-read the title. Senior moment...o_O.

Yeah, avoid the semi-wad cutters or wad cutters.
I've had issues with some truncated cone and round nose work great.

I had a problem in one R92 with the length of the round, it didn't like .38's that were shorter than (memory blanks here) so I had to load my 38's like .020" longer than "book specs". When they were shorter, they would try and double feed onto the lifter.

I digress...

Round nose 158's is always a winner.

Yeah, avoid the semi-wad cutters or wad cutters.
I've had issues with some truncated cone and round nose work great.

I had a problem in one R92 with the length of the round, it didn't like .38's that were shorter than (memory blanks here) so I had to load my 38's like .020" longer than "book specs". When they were shorter, they would try and double feed onto the lifter.

I digress...

Round nose 158's is always a winner.

cool. I got some 125gr gold dots,158gr jsp and some 158 Speer flat points. Hoping I can find a good load with one of those.just got to find some time to load them up for it.

RNFP's have worked best for me. Try loading some dummy rounds in both 38 & 357 to see if either has any problems loading before you do any significant loading. My Rossi handles both well and even has no problems with SWC's, but I know folks whose Rossi's prefer either the 38 or the 357 for reliable loading.

Most importantly - enjoy :)

'Round nose 158's is always a winner. "

The vast majority of levergunners would say rnFP, not round nose, myself included. Yes you can 'get away' with round nose...maybe..I'm not willing to risk a mag tube detonation. ymmv

I'd recommend you stick with .357 loads to avoid crud build Up in the chamber from the shorter . 38 rounds ESPECIALLY WITH CAST LEAD LOADS.

No first hand experience but I have also read that you have to be careful with too hot of loads intended for pistols as the longer barrels will raise velocity and cause the bullets to tumble. I believe that's was with .44 mag levers but could happen with .357s I suppose.

No first hand experience but I have also read that you have to be careful with too hot of loads intended for pistols as the longer barrels will raise velocity and cause the bullets to tumble. I believe that's was with .44 mag levers but could happen with .357s I suppose.

That's interesting, I've never heard about that being an issue. Mainly people complain about not being able to stabilize heavy bullets due to the wrong twist rate. I've shot some really hot rounds out of my .357 and never had tumbling issues.

357 Magnum and the Literature

This guy is pushing a 150gr pill over 20 grains of Win296 and getting 2300fps! This load with a Hornady FTX is pretty amazing. Very flat out to 200 yards.

If a twist rate is on the edge for stabilizing a bullet, tumbling can happen at the lower velocities. More speed should help the cause not hinder.

I finally was able to get out and shoot it today. After looking it over some more I don't think it was ever even shot by the previous owner. Thing shot great tho.used a mix of some factory ammo and some lighter loaded 357 I have loaded for my revolver all ran good besides a few factory 38 specials hanging up. Got my brass prepped and ready to load for the next time.will chime back in once I do.

Make sure you clean the chamber thoroughly after shooting the 38 special. The 357 mag will get stuck in the chamber if it gets too much carbon built up from the shorter cases.

Ask me how I know.:D

Make sure you clean the chamber thoroughly after shooting the 38 special. The 357 mag will get stuck in the chamber if it gets too much carbon built up from the shorter cases.

Ask me how I know.:D
I have a slightly overexpanded .357 case that I push or gently tap into the chambers to scrape the carbon build-up out when I shoot a lot of .38 in one of my .357s. It helps. I've found that using a nickel case is better it's a little harder than brass. After that a .40 or .41 cal brush and some solvent cleans it up pretty easily.

I have a slightly overexpanded .357 case that I push or gently tap into the chambers to scrape the carbon build-up out when I shoot a lot of .38 in one of my .357s. It helps. I've found that using a nickel case is better it's a little harder than brass. After that a .40 or .41 cal brush and some solvent cleans it up pretty easily.

Thanks for the tip.i only ran about 30 38s through it. Then put some more 357s into. I'm pretty sure it's now one of my favorite guns.

I think I need a big loop for it then leather wrap that to make it a little smoother on the hand tho.

Thanks for the tip.i only ran about 30 38s through it. Then put some more 357s into. I'm pretty sure it's now one of my favorite guns.

I think I need a big loop for it then leather wrap that to make it a little smoother on the hand tho.
I've really been looking at those. Very interested to see what you think about it after a few hundred different kinds of loads haa ha. Plus I love just about anything .357. Great cartridge with tons of options.

I've really been looking at those. Very interested to see what you think about it after a few hundred different kinds of loads haa ha. Plus I love just about anything .357. Great cartridge with tons of options.

My hand fits pretty good in it now but the metal is just a little rough. I think if I leather wrapped it now it would be to tight for my hand so I'm hoping if I get a big loop and wrap it'll end up about just right.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top