JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do not tip unless the waiter serving me does a stand up job to make sure my needs are met or if I ask for alot of things out of the normal for their job. Otherwise why give them more for doing their job. I dont get tipped when I come into your house and fix all the horrible home owner wiring you did. Or wire you house for whatever you might need. I am doing my job and get paid accordingly.

Tipping fast food is lame. Starbucks? Yes, the coins I get, usually.

What about restaurants that they bring you your food, but that's it? I suually leave change in the tip jar.

Bars? I tip very well. About a buck a drink. If I eat, even more.

On a related question, for Oregonians only...have you ever tipped the gas station attendants?

I never do. When I moved here, someone at work said you should, but I've never heard of many people doing this. For one thing, I usually pay with a card and there is no opportunity.

I would prefer to pump my own gas (it's faster than waiting!) but that's beside the point I guess.

I also could count on one hand the number of times I've seen the same attendant twice. I would say (over the last 8 years of being here), that 99% of the time, I see a different attendant at the gas station, and I usually go to the same one.

I've never really understood tipping. If I do my job I get a paycheck, if I don't I get fired. I'm not sure why some people think they deserve more than they agreed to when they were hired. I would call a crappy paycheck incentive to do what it takes to get a better job.

My wife worked all through college and left debt free due to tips so she is a heavy tipper now. I guess I help balance it out.:s0114:

What do you expect?? It is after all a highly-skilled and in-demand career path so they tend to job hop to ensure they get top dollar for their skill set. :D

LOL. Every Oregonian has told me it's a "jobs program for the poor". But it's a really crappy one - from what I understand, gas station owners pay them minimum wage forever. No need to give them raises because you can literally train someone in 5 minutes. It's not like someone taking that job develops some skills they can build a future with.

Tipping at fast food? Only if it's a family owned but at that point I think of them as burger joints not fast food. I tip at bars every time.

I have been a waiter for a few years at sit down restaurants so I tip accordingly 0-50%.

The Bad

The only reason why I would tip 0 is when I and my company have been ignored. 2 weeks ago at my local Applebee's my friend did not get her dinner until we mentioned something to the manager and that was after our whole group had finished, also has no attention from our waiter until we brought the manager over to inform him that our friend did not get her food.

The Olive garden a few months back our group once again had no service from our waiter. I had to flag down a different person to grab a pitcher of water to fill all of our glasses since everyone had nothing left. Also he got 2 of 5 order wrong.

The good

The Keg last week for my GF's birthday and my best friends birthday. The waitress was very polite, checked in on everyone several times throughout the night, water glasses never hit empty, found out it was 2 birthdays so she informed management to bring complementary jumbo shrimp and ice-cream cakes for the birthday people and 2 $25 gift cards, service was prompt but didn't reel rushed. I tipped 50% and she deserved it.

In general I tip 10-20% depending on normal service. My beverage is an indicator of how attentive they are.

Bars

I tip so they take care of me. In the club setting I tip $1-2 per drink I have them make. The drinks then become much stronger and I get very quick service when I get up there (even before those who have been waiting a long time). The way I see it I take care of them they take care of me.

Wow that is a new one. What burger king was it? I would like to stop by that bk and see if they do that. Hey maybe she just wanted your number.
I do my share of tipping but that is a good one, or she is working on a new trend. Tips for all.

On a related question, for Oregonians only...have you ever tipped the gas station attendants?

I never do. When I moved here, someone at work said you should, but I've never heard of many people doing this. For one thing, I usually pay with a card and there is no opportunity.

I would prefer to pump my own gas (it's faster than waiting!) but that's beside the point I guess.

I also could count on one hand the number of times I've seen the same attendant twice. I would say (over the last 8 years of being here), that 99% of the time, I see a different attendant at the gas station, and I usually go to the same one.

I've been in Oregon a Looooong time and I've never once seen anyone tip a gas station attendant even though we can't fill our own tanks.

$.02

PS Pull in on a Harley in Oregon and watch the attendant hand you the hose. I've never seen an attendant willing to risk scratching or spilling on a bike. They'll start the pump, but they won't touch the bike. Never.

I wont let them touch my bike, but I'm probably not alone on that one.
I've also never had to request the right to fill my own bike. :cool:

As for tipping...bad service usually gets them a nickel...that way they dont think I forgot!
Good service is 20% all day long! I really think that's a dying art...its hard to find good service...mostly just bad work ethics.

I worked at a station years back and I filled bikes all the time. Some of the guys requested that I did since I did a good job. Alot of times they tipped me for doing so.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top