JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does everyone tinker with the firearms they buy? Anytime I am looking to purchase I always look into what parts are available and how easy the gun is to improve in my own home by my own hands. Typically when I am recommending a rifle or pistol to someone this comes up in the discussion. It just kind of hit me today. There are people who will go buy a gun and leave it alone!:s0112: To me it just seems foreign. I almost have to sit on my hands not to tinker with the wife's Buckmark.:s0114:

I am the same way.First thing I do when I buy a gun is scour the net and find out how to improve the trigger.It especially gets exiteing if something breaks or wears out.Not many parts cant be fixed or remade with a few files and a drill.

depends on the Firearm. I recently replaced a totally trashed out M1 Carbine stock with the most accurate and best looking reproduction stock I could find. other then that nothing was done to the rifle.

I have a Savage MKII FVT .22lr target rifle which I am building a completely new target rifle stock replacing the bottom metal with some I custom made to help keep the action screws tight. A new metal trigger gaurd and a custom accessory rail (target style under the forearm)

Other rifles I have I would never touch. My Winchester Model 1895 Deluxe would be a crime to do anything to.

It just depends on the value and use of the rifle.

On pistols the most I have ever done is to polish the internals to help smooth up the action. And to make custom grips.

Tinkering with the kinds of firearms I buy would reduce their value by half or more. Which is fortunate, because I prefer mine just as they were made.

Keith

If I were in this situation I would leave it alone for sure. I can see the value of leaving something as is. But, none of the guns I have are rare or posses any historical or intrinsic value.

1) Just keep track of your mods and keep your old parts.

2) Make sure you give full disclosure to a potential buyer.

I like to mod some of my guns but other than night sights and grips I leave my HD and CCW guns as they came from the factory.

i dont really like buying used guns just because of this.
buy a good gun and maybe change the trigger or ambi safety or something if needed but it seems its always the guns with ed brown this and wilson combat that that dont fire right anymore.then you have to try to figure out what the last screwball did to the thing.
no i dont tinker with my guns,i try to buy good guns with good parts.

If I buy a Smith and Wesson revolver, it usually gets a set of Wolff springs to lighten the trigger right away. I have played around with my M4gery duplicating my service rifle and all the accessories that were on it. Bottom line is, have fun as long as you don't make an unsafe weapon.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top