JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally got to play with some friend's AR-15s - never fired an AR before.

While absolutely a blast (at TCGC), I didn't expect the trigger pulls to be so 'rusty.'

Fired off an M&P, and a Daniel Defense at few times. The M&P had the worst trigger (from my perspective). It felt like pulling a door with stiff rusty hinges closed. There were also a couple of guys with ARs there, I fired theirs also and found them not much better.

With the AR firmly planted into sand bags I guess it is OK, but freestanding it definitely made me off target at the last second (need to work on form).

They said that is just the way they feel. As a rookie, I can't really argue. All I know up to this point are my 22s and they all have smooth easy to engage triggers.

Did some looking around and found Timney triggers are available as 'drop ins' for <$200. Has anyone installed these? Are they easily to install? Are they a big improvement?

Is there something that can be done in the meantime when I buy an AR like oiling it up a bit?

Thanks a lot.

While not pertaining to an AR15, I just installed a Timney trigger in my bolt action rifle this weekend. I did have to do fitting work for the piece that the safety interferes with, and that took a while. (I consider that a very important step and one worth the time involved!) I haven't shot the rifle yet, but have dry fired it many times.
Wow! What a crisp trigger. Why did I wait so long to purchase and install this on my rifle?!?!?
The only downside is that I believe the supplied trigger spring was too light, especially for a rifle that will be used when it may be cold and I'm wearing gloves. Fortunately, in my case, the factory spring can be substituted for a slightly heavier pull. Even with the stock spring the trigger is lighter, and much crisper than the factory trigger.
I considered Jewell and Rifle Basix also, and for no particular reason chose the Timney. If it's half as good for you as it is for me, you'll be pleased.

Was that you over there about noon shooting up a storm?
Someone was going through a lot of ammo.

Contact Timmey and they can give you an idea how much of an issue it is to install - plus you can confirm the model type vs what they sell.

I have installed several triggers in the rifles that I build. I have used Geisel, Bushmaster two stage competition triggers, DPMS mill spec worked over / polished with cut / modified springs, and several others that I am forgetting. Oh, yeah.....Timney is one of them. Out of all the triggers that I have installed I liked the Timney trigger the best. Very hard to beat. I will be using Timney for the majority of my builds from now on. Timney is very easy to install.

For the money I think I'll try it. I am no gunsmith, but I think I can handle it. For rookies like me it is sure fortunate that there are so many helpful, friendly people willing to help out.

I have a single-stage Timney trigger in my POF P415 and it is superb! It breaks as clean and crisp as the finely tuned trigger in my new Wilson Combat (which is really saying something). Looking at the mechanism, you can really see the build quality. It came pre-installed on the rifle, so I can't speak to ease-of-installation, but I've been told installation is super-easy.
Looked back at the purchase order and specs on the trigger. I'm pretty sure it's this model:
<broken link removed>

One of the first (and very few necessary) improvements to my DPMS AP4 was a Timney trigger. It is literally "drop-in" installation. Even a caveman could do it. The gun shot 1.5 inch groups right out of the box, iron sights, with crappy factory FMJ ammo. Now, with a Leupold Ultralight 3x-9x, the Timney, and a good handload (25.0g H335, 55g Ballistic Tip, Federal Benchrest primers) groups go .65 to .85. Never ever imagined this out of this gun.

I have the 4 pound single stage Timney triggers installed in some of my AR's. Very clean break. A huge difference from the standard lower parts kit triggers.

For comparison, I just built a new lightweight rifle which has a standard DPMS trigger, and it was horribly gritty and inconsistent. Shooting the rifle standing was so unbearable I immediately ordered a replacement trigger when I got home. I've been spoiled by my Timney's and Geissele's. :)

I installed a single stage Jard trigger in my AR-10 with a 3# pull. Wow, what a difference. I think I saved some $ compared to the Timney as they are component parts, not a complete unit.

For the money I think I'll try it. I am no gunsmith, but I think I can handle it. For rookies like me it is sure fortunate that there are so many helpful, friendly people willing to help out.

I have the Timney Triggers 3lb version in both my M4 Bushmaster modular carbine and my Bushmaster Varminter. They are easy to install and work well. I changed from an LMT two stage national match trigger which had been cleaned up and had the springs lightened to about 3.5lb trigger pull. Even with the work done, my stock bushmaster trigger was far better with the light springs and cleaned up. I would never again bother trying a two stage trigger, JUNK IMHO!
I have found the timney's to be consistent and they seem to be well built.
Install in a easy. Just pull out the old trigger assembly drop in the Timney, tighten it down, and go shoot!

Good luck!
BTW keep your eyes open and you can get them cheaper than 200$

Have you ever tried an AR with a cleaned up Jewell 2-stage?

No I have not. The LMT 2stage NM trigger came "highly" recommended. I am not a fan of the two stage. To each their own. Like I say, I spent around 220$ on the trigger than another 80$ on trigger work and springs and my factory bushmaster cleaned up with springs was far better. Se not point in the two stage, except for competition. Just my opinion.

I really like this thread. being new to ar's, i too have noticed the very uncrisp triggers the kits come with. i have installed two mil spec'd lpk's and one felt slightly better, not grainy per se, but like one big grain. you can actually feel when the two rubbing parts crest the highest point before it breaks. not smooth, feels very mechanical. the only other trigger i felt was the accu group trigger that comes factory with the plum crazy lowers. it felt real good in comparison to the rest. no noticeable creep, instant break, very crisp. i feel a little sheepish for mentioning it here. i mean its total cost inside a complete lower is much cheaper than a timney. and im cheap.

with no money and little time, the trigger can be improved. Some of the lpk's respond well some do not, I usually keep a few spare hammers and triggers to match up the best. I usually get my triggers down to a reasonably crisp 4 lbs.

Unless you are a wannabe sniper (isn't everyone?), or just enjoy throwing money at your ar, this will work just fine.

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm

I use valve lapping compound, and polish the center portion of the pins with jewelers rouge.
Lastly I shorten the "leg", (engagement area) between the hammer and trigger, do not attempt this without the proper jig, tools, and expertise. I do this to all my builds and have yet to have a complaint (about 40 builds so far)

You will be able to say you did it yourself, rather than bragging about how much money you spent.

with no money and little time, the trigger can be improved. Some of the lpk's respond well some do not, I usually keep a few spare hammers and triggers to match up the best. I usually get my triggers down to a reasonably crisp 4 lbs.

Unless you are a wannabe sniper (isn't everyone?), or just enjoy throwing money at your ar, this will work just fine.

15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15

I use valve lapping compound, and polish the center portion of the pins with jewelers rouge.
Lastly I shorten the "leg", (engagement area) between the hammer and trigger, do not attempt this without the proper jig, tools, and expertise. I do this to all my builds and have yet to have a complaint (about 40 builds so far)

You will be able to say you did it yourself, rather than bragging about how much money you spent.

sounds easy and it made sense. i wanna be a sniper too, but on the cheap! :s0114: thanks for the great link!

sounds easy and it made sense. i wanna be a sniper too, but on the cheap! :s0114: thanks for the great link!

Did those on most of mine. Cheapest way to improve the pull. While it did dramatically lighten the trigger pull. But did nothing for the rather mushy break.

On one of my lowers I put in the Timney and was glad I did.Much shorter pull, minimal overtravel, and much crisper.

Did those on most of mine. Cheapest way to improve the pull. While it did dramatically lighten the trigger pull. But did nothing for the rather mushy break.

On one of my lowers I put in the Timney and was glad I did.Much shorter pull, minimal overtravel, and much crisper.

crispness and creep are improved by shortening and smoothing the mating surfaces between the hammer and trigger, (this is also why I mix and match hammers and triggers) these are known in the gunsmithing world as the "legs". overtravel and takeup are much less a fuss is the break is clean, I just live with them.

the trick is to have a safe trigger, after any mods to the fcg, reassemble and test by (with hammer cocked) giving it( the buttstock) a good bounce on the carpeted floor or with the palm of your hand, if the hammer disconnects from the trigger, oops.

Take the couple of hundred bucks you save and buy ammo, or reloading gear, and learn how to shoot better.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top