JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every now & then I like to update my pack contents. This is best accomplished in my case, by settling on 'the list'. This year is doubly challenged, as I'm trying to validate difference between "3 day" and "48 hour" pack.

Not so much focus on "Bug Out" style contents, as "get home" from being delayed in some day trip. The story about the Wa State highway closure due to a sudden attack by mutant tumbleweeds out there on Hwy 240 near W Richfield/Hanford area got me thinking....just what IS my own current content list.

What you got as essentials for YOUR "48 hour" pack.

1. Sustainment (water is major part, foods secondary; depends on where/how far. )

2. Shelter (tarp in my case)

3. Navigation(compass and light, maps depending on where)

4. Defense (gun, ammo, knife, axe?)

5. Insulation (clothing and sleeping bag or poncho liner or quilts or wool blanket)

These are the Big Five. Fire starting or cooking kits may go into either sustainment or defense or insulation (keeping one warm)

An USGI butt pack was once considered sufficient for a field exercise of up to 3 days; but this assumes one would have the support of a base sending out supplies in their trucks :rolleyes:

Actual combat situations and survival situations of course changes a lot of things.

I could get what I need for only over night in a small pack, say a day pack size or a large waist pack, if I am not carrying a sleeping bag. If I am, then may as well as upsize to a Medium ALICE sized pack, or larger. Again depending on length of expected travels.

Edit. A poncho liner can pack kinda small, but a Costco/QVC down throw packs smaller and can be warmer, however one has to consider weather.

Combining poncho liner with an ECW Parka with liner would also help keep one warm quite nicely if needed.
To make more room in pack, try your best to Ranger Roll your clothing if necessary. For 48 hours, one only need maybe 3 pairs of socks, 1 pair being very warm wool socks; 2 pairs of underwear, one being long johns for extra warmth. A parka, or wool sweater plus windbreaker can be very useful. You may not need an extra set of pants and shirt for 48 hours, unless you are expecting to need to cross rivers or mud fields, then a pair of clean pants and shirt would be added. All this could be in a dry bag that compresses very well.

Last Edited:
1. Sustainment (water is major part, foods secondary; depends on where/how far. )

2. Shelter (tarp in my case)

3. Navigation(compass and light, maps depending on where)

4. Defense (gun, ammo, knife, axe?)

5. Insulation (clothing and sleeping bag or poncho liner or quilts or wool blanket)

These are the Big Five. Fire starting or cooking kits may go into either sustainment or defense or insulation (keeping one warm)

An USGI butt pack was once considered sufficient for a field exercise of up to 3 days; but this assumes one would have the support of a base sending out supplies in their trucks :rolleyes:

Actual combat situations and survival situations of course changes a lot of things.

I could get what I need for only over night in a small pack, say a day pack size or a large waist pack, if I am not carrying a sleeping bag. If I am, then may as well as upsize to a Medium ALICE sized pack, or larger. Again depending on length of expected travels.
Cut down on food by learning the edible Flora of your surroundings. Also a good argument for a takedown .22.
Fresnel lenses are immensely useful. Waterproof matches and firepistons as well.
Water is key. At least a gallon is necessary. Make sure your drinking vessel can be put over flames for boiling.
I recommend carrying an Ontario sp1 or any number of different Mora knives. Make sure they're batonable. Also, means to keep them sharp.

Cut down on food by learning the edible Flora of your surroundings. Also a good argument for a takedown .22.
Fresnel lenses are immensely useful. Waterproof matches and firepistons as well.
Water is key. At least a gallon is necessary. Make sure your drinking vessel can be put over flames for boiling.
I recommend carrying an Ontario sp1 or any number of different Mora knives. Make sure they're batonable. Also, means to keep them sharp.
I wonder what monster tumbleweeds taste like?

Raw Vegetables/edible plants are quite "calories poor" as opposed to Good Ol Raisins and Peanuts ( AKA Trail mix), chocolates and jerky ;) that said,they can be usec to add flavorings.
Agreed. They are good to supplement what you have. Snacking on wild stuff and saving your packaged stuff for when it's necessary (or more useful; can be used as bait more readily).

Ooo I forgot, first aid. Thats kind of important :s0001: although; EDC small kit plus a slightly bigger kit in the pack would work for any length of time...

I'm thinking for only 48 hours, mobility is more important than bugging out to a predetermined location, although this could be set up in a way that you have a network of safe places (close friends and families within a days or two hike/walking distance if necessary, from wherever you may be stranded) ?

Hard to say what I have is what you need.

These things are and should be very very personalized.

You know your routes, your locations, your capabilities. No one else does.

Can you walk back in X amount of time? Can you fit X in your car? How do you use your car? Grocery's every week take up the whole trunk? Could a folding bike be in the trunk full time? Could you ride a bike long term? 2-6 hours at a time? Would that get you home faster than walking?

Just some thoughts. My wife works fairly close, her walk would not be hard. It would probably take two days though. She also works out of Tigard and Beaverton on occasion. Because if this, and that we do not use her car for groceries or towing the kid around, it's stacked. Folding kick scooter, food, etc. Enough to last weeks probably, in one place. She can figure out what she needs from it if she had to leave it. 2-4 and so on days type thing.

So my recommendation isn't to think of a day or multi day pack.

Use your vehicle as the pack, put in it as much as you can. If SHTF and you are at home, well it's still available. If SHTF and you are at work and have 1 months supply of stuff in your car. You can then decide how much you will need to take with you, if you decide heading home is the better plan.

Yes, there will be those that state, well you may need to act fast, grab your bag and go. Maybe, no one really knows right?

In the vein of what @Reno is saying; planning and practicing as many alternative routes as possible around as many locations you go to will surely help a lot. Some routes may require off road capable vehicles (Forest Service roads and trails for example); but others only require knowing the areas such as dirt/gravel roads, their conditions in bad weather, and so on. That is the one nice thing about the U.S. being quite car-centric; there's many routes possible unlike areas in Alaska and Canada where flying in is the only possible way for some supplies

In the vein of what @Reno is saying; planning and practicing as many alternative routes as possible around as many locations you go to will surely help a lot. Some routes may require off road capable vehicles (Forest Service roads and trails for example); but others only require knowing the areas such as dirt/gravel roads, their conditions in bad weather, and so on. That is the one nice thing about the U.S. being quite car-centric; there's many routes possible unlike areas in Alaska and Canada where flying in is the only possible way for some supplies
Most important thing about routing. Duplicate everything if not more than just duplicates.

Have "2 is 1 and 1 is none" copies of maps of your routes and planned alternates in your possession, your significant others possession, your neighbors if you trust them and are out with your significant other...

If you are tight with your neighbors, hopefully they will protect your stuff better knowing you might be back, or at least you plan to be back by a certain time.

Whatever is in your 48 hr pack. You need to keep it with you.
Replace what you use as soon when you get home. I replace food, when the clocks go spring forward or fall back.
Water is replaced every Sunday or as needed.

I use two packs, large 48 hr and smaller 24 hr. 24 hr stays with me, like a man purse. 48 hr stays in truck.
If needed to bug out, get home, or a search. Put 24 into 48 and go.

With the wet west side and the windy east side of the state. A road flare is the best fire starter.
I have over 30 years in search and rescue, so what I carry is very basic.

I do believe 2 is 1, 1 is none. We have pack checks a couple times a year. There is always someone that has
6 flashlights or 9 knives or 12 ways to start a fire.

Every now & then I like to update my pack contents. This is best accomplished in my case, by settling on 'the list'. This year is doubly challenged, as I'm trying to validate difference between "3 day" and "48 hour" pack.

Not so much focus on "Bug Out" style contents, as "get home" from being delayed in some day trip. The story about the Wa State highway closure due to a sudden attack by mutant tumbleweeds out there on Hwy 240 near W Richfield/Hanford area got me thinking....just what IS my own current content list.

What you got as essentials for YOUR "48 hour" pack.
Thanks for the reminder I was just at Costco today they had a 48 hour emergency food kit for sale.
I need to rotate my stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads