JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, there's been a lot of talk about the AR10's lately. This talk peaked my interests in them a bit, so I looked for the best deal. Finally after about a two month search, a local guy posted one on gunbroker. It was very reasonable in price for what it was, so I jumped on the deal. I'd been doing research on what platform to get and while I decided I didn't want some things (tacky in my mind) stamped on the receiver, such as a big "A", "M&P", ETC. ETC... I also knew I needed a shell deflector and probably a dust cover, so no "smooth sided" receivers. This Armalite AR10T fit the bill nicely. However, I can't use P-mags in it. That doesn't really bother me too much. Here's some of the parts I put into it to make it mine (so to speak):

1. PRS stock
2. Griffin Armament SNACH ambi charging handle
3. BAD lever
4. Armaspec ambi safety
5. Armaspec enhanced trigger guard
6. Armaspec enhanced magazine release
7. Burris P.E.P.R scope mount
8. Burris AR7.62 4.5-14x42 scope
9. Fine tuned RRA 2 stage varmint match trigger. Damn near as good as my Geiselle SSA-E..

Here's some pictures of the new (to me) AR10, she seems to be a good shooter. Still working on load development:
5OyHOZA.jpg

Here are a few different loads that I tried. You can see where the accuracy node is:
657YKIs.jpg
DcHjEYx.jpg
pj8gFsD.jpg

I also tried different brass. Heard this Sig Sauer brass was good, so I gave it a try too:
of1s38x.jpg
7ZhsQti.jpg
SPkVbkG.jpg
Again, you can see where the node is.

I ended up shooting some 10 shot groups, that day, with what ammo I had left from load testing. I wish I would have had 10 of each charge wt. for each group, but still it didn't fare too bad considering:
5KB382x.jpg

Thanks for looking and please share your AR10 builds. These things can be addictive!!!!!

Another pic. This shows the left side of the receiver and the BAD lever. OOPS, they said it wouldn't work on an AR10... "My BAD"... :p
zJEq1Pj.jpg

I didn't major in machine tool tech for nothing....:D

DUDE , killer job on the reloading !! .
I'm in the middle of it now ...... finding arcomp to be awesome.... rolling with three round groups it sub MOA with multiple loads of AR comp . For me getting the consistent 5 round inch was a little tuffer but it's there and I haven't even messed with COAL yet
I just finished this rifle , sorry for the big " A" roll marks don't mean anything to me if it's a shooter lol

35C92B8B-3C75-4DFF-B8AF-40DFBD34037D.jpeg E8CAC2FF-FE7E-44ED-843B-575706D85965.jpeg 36A954D8-D144-4FE1-B2FF-283F030DAF99.jpeg

Very nice man! Looks great and shoots great. Give some details on that bad boy. I damn near bought an Aero precision lower with gen 3 PRS stock. Hard to go wrong at around $575.00.

I just bent my decaping unit lol , on a run to sportsman's I'll be back update ya on the build .
I want to hear how you like the hornady match , I've just started and am on Nosler 168's at the moment

I love the hornady match bullets. They seem to shoot better than the sierra mk, and hornady eldm. Im still not done with the eldm bullets though and may even give some ELD-X pills a try.

I've had good luck with Nosler in 223 and 308, better for me than smk. I tried 75gr Hornady and couldn't get them moa .....haven't tried anything else though figured the barrel didn't like secant ogive . I want to check them out for 30 cal .

My carbine
BCM socom stock
Armalite carbine 6 position buffer system(tube,buffer,spring,end plate,castle nut)
Aero M5 set
Aero M5 LPK -FCG
Geissele SD-E
B5 Grip 23
Toolcraft NiB BCG
16" Ballistic Advantage ,premium series ,Hanson profile 308Win ~1:10~416r~Mid gas
LMT 3 prong flash hider
15" Centurion Arms Gen2 CMR Mlok (pre release )
Primary Arms 1-8 ACSS
American Defense mount , Scout extended

I didn't build it for bench work though , its a runner. Its the best balanced gun Ive built. Its still a shade over 9# but it is extremely well balanced and feels so nice.....my 556 SPR is 9.5. I am in the process of making this my main grab over my 556's .....it runs that nice on foot....very pointable shoots very easily off hand because the front is very light . Little punchy on the run and gun but very doable and controllable . The MOA thing is nice but really built it to run hard .
IMG_2088.JPG

Last Edited:
Very nice build man. Looks like you pieced it together very well. One thing about these big frame AR's, is they are not as modular as the ar15. You really have to do your research when you put one together. Good stuff though. Thanks for posting.

It's different that's for sure , never thought I would be mixing Armalite and lr308 pattern but the buffer system is one of those intermixing things that works so good,.... buffer systems usually being by the finicky part of 308 building

I love your AR10 ..... the OG . What is the barrel details on that ?

Thats great info on the buffer system interchangability. I didnt know you could do that. As for my barrel, its just a factory Armalite AR10T 20" stainless matchgrade barrel. Rumor has it that they are made by Wilson.

You can tell it's going to be lights out when you get the load . The 20" really is a good length for everything, 18 is about the same .
Being hard pressed to find an honest 400 yard shot ,outside of a range, in my neck of the woods I opted 16".... getting just under 2500 FPS on 168's with outstanding grouping so it should be sufficient for defensive stuff out to 500 ..... probably poke at a blacktail around 250 with confidence in a humane kill..... which is 150 yards further than I've had to shoot at any game . Should be an all around good rifle for my surroundings and perceived needs .

Thats great info on the buffer system interchangability. I didnt know you could do that. As for my barrel, its just a factory Armalite AR10T 20" stainless matchgrade barrel. Rumor has it that they are made by Wilson.
The trick is not to mix buffers , spring and tubes , all lr308 or all Armalite . The Armalite carbine system seems to be unanimously agreed upon ,with 308 guys , to be the most reliable system. It's purpose built for 308 where most lr308 systems are ar15 based with a very small buffer to make up for the BCG length. It's the buffer length and the requirements in weight that hamper lr platforms .
The tube on the Armalite system is deep enough to use standard carbine buffers, usually h3, and accommodate the extra length of the 308 BCG ......

The trick is not to mix buffers , spring and tubes , all lr308 or all Armalite . The Armalite carbine system seems to be unanimously agreed upon ,with 308 guys , to be the most reliable system. It's purpose built for 308 where most lr308 systems are ar15 based with a very small buffer to make up for the BCG length. It's the buffer length and the requirements in weight that hamper lr platforms .
The tube on the Armalite system is deep enough to use standard carbine buffers, usually h3, and accommodate the extra length of the 308 BCG ......

Thanks for the info. Im running a rifle length system. Works awesome to mitigate recoil, is very smooth and noise free. Unlike some ar15's ive shot where you get a lot of spring noise.

IMO, you can not beat the original design....rifle gas and buffer system . when a barrel maker wants to gas correctly , they can all be nice but IMO rifle design is always a Cadillac......grease always works for "sproing".....for me anyway. I hate sproing

Ha ha. Good advice again. I got the worst SPROIIIIING sound from my noveske and found where guys were using lithium grease. I tried it and now it cycles a lot smoother and spring noise is almost gone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top