JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yep, I think most of us could see this coming. Never to be left with their hands empty, our lovely government folks, in a truly startling move, have decided to require registration of drones (except for the little toys you play with at home). Why? Because some people fly them into the paths of commercial aircraft and do other stupid things with them.

So, of course, the answer is registration. The same kind of registration that prevents people from driving a car recklessly. The same registration that prevents gun owners from going on shooting rampages. The same registration that....well, fill in the blank for yourself.

Yes, the same politicians that think you shouldn't be able to choose what size soda to drink, want to control your drone now. And of course, it comes with a fee, tax, whatever you want to call it.

Question: will "mandatory" drone flying classes and licenses be far behind?

I wonder how far they will push things before they try to register/ban things that some of their voting base do care about?

Ah, read it for yourself. Just be careful you don't have any unregistered sharp things in your hand when you do the inevitable face palm ;)

"These reports signal a troubling trend," Federal Aviation Administration chief Michel Huerta said at a news conference to announce the step. Registration will increase pressure on drone operators to fly responsibly, he said, adding, "when they don't fly safely, they'll know there will be consequences."

To work out details, the FAA and the Transportation Department are setting up a 25- to 30-member task force including government and industry officials and hobbyists. They'll recommend which drones should be required to register and which should be exempted, and design a system that would be easy for commercial operators to comply with, the department said.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/go...stration-of-most-drones/ar-AAfD5Hg?li=AAa0dzB

It will undoubtedly fall under the control of the FCC.

If a license is required to use GMRS or ham frequencies....o_O

Then, a universal-fee will be applied so the less-fortunate can have drones too....:confused:

It will undoubtedly fall under the control of the FCC.

If a license is required to use GMRS or ham frequencies....o_O

Then, a universal-fee will be applied so the less-fortunate can have drones too....:confused:

Maybe a new joint agency that combines the FAA and the FCC. Never underestimate the power of the government to spend twice as much to 1/2 the job :p

All drone operators will be required to wear nomax flight suits, goggles, oxygen mask, and hardhats. They will also be required to pass a flight physical, and.....plug their nose before talking on the radio....

All drone operators will be required to wear nomax flight suits, goggles, oxygen mask, and hardhats. They will also be required to pass a flight physical, and.....plug their nose before talking on the radio....

And say "niner" ;)

I can see it now:

Drone Dweeb: "Drone Alpha326NinerX-ray approaching left downwind to the Johnson's backyard. Approaching for hover and record of sunbathing MILF. Request clearance"

Drone Air Route Traffic Control Center (DARTCC): "Roger drone Alpha326NinerX-Ray, squawk 8834, be advised current information is Delta. Maintain hover at 125'. Be advised of 8 rotor drone at your 2 o'clock position, maintain 30' clearance. Also note 2 other pilots have reported shotgun fire in the area. Advise on departure and upload of video to YT"

Drone Dweeb: "NinerX-Ray, copy that, squawk 8834, we have Delta, will advise on departure and upload"

Last Edited:
So there's gonna be drone cops out there verifying my drones are registered?

'Cause if I was a betting man, I'd wager this is gonna be adopted and taken about as seriously as radio licensing

So when they say "drones" they are really talking about RC helicopters/quadcopters and planes right?

I knew this was coming when they started using the wrong terminology for them because pretty sure the definition drone is some level of autonomy.

Reminds me of how they use "assault rifle".

Sure...... This is the first step. NEXT it will be my remote control monster truck, I bet.

They can have my Monster Truck...

When they pry it from my... cold, dead, hands.

Maybe a new joint agency that combines the FAA and the FCC. Never underestimate the power of the government to spend twice as much to 1/2 the job :p
I have mentioned that agency numerous times in my life.

Every time I've dealt with the federal government I end up saying things like:

"FAACC me, but that went poorly!"

Or something similar anyway. ;)

As an enthusiast, I enjoy displacing intrusive memories of a day at work with the zen activity of flying an RC plane or helo around at sunset (or sunrise). And yes, I've actually taped a tiny keychain camera to the belly of my birds, which renders shaky, high-altitude vistas of the unoccupied ballparks, parking lots and rural fields where I fly. "Oh, look, there I am! Woo-Hoo!"

Funny... I've never been an @sshole about the way I ride mountain bikes, enjoy boats or own/shoot guns either, but they're all getting squeezed too.

I acknowledge that using RC aircraft to invade privacy, swoop around near bystanders or interfere with general aviation/firefighting/LE aircraft are irresponsible and dangerous activities. It would never occur to me to do stuff like that. But as with my other hobbies, I'll surely end up bearing the regulatory brunt and expense of other peoples' stupidity.

Pisses me off...

Last Edited:
remember your arguments when you see your neighbors out flying one

- Do you have licence for that thing? (no really, Federal Aviation Administration permission to fly your toy )

- it shouldn't be easier to get a drone than it is fresh vegitables

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top