JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It seems there was only three weeks to get any bill into the Judiciary committee this session. There are 3740 bills submitted for the 2012 session, about 80 of them are awaiting or have had a hearing in the House Judiciary committee. Blake is a sponsor of 182 bills, prime sponsor of 31 bills.

As much as we want a Representative or Senator push our favorite bill, they have to set priorities. Obviously the SBS/SBR bill was not the highest priority this session. Unless a bill is the favorite baby of a legislator, it takes lots of push from the residents.

The last time I saw a large push from the civilian side was when WA tried to ban assault weapons; over 200 people showed for the hearings. When the silencer bill was in committee, only a few people showed. We need to be as fanatical about promoting gun bills are we are about opposing the bills that seek to ban guns. So far that is not happening.

During the interim we need to contact our Representatives and ask them to co-sponsor the bill.

Ranb

I wrote another round of letters to the counties that did not respond last year. I have data from 21 counties now. I corrected a mistake in my calculations and I figure 5 SBS/SBR crimes a year for the entire state. I will have the data on CD for anyone who wants it soon.

Adams County Did not respond
Asotin County 1-2002, 1-2004, 1-2005 2 assaults, 1 possesion
Benton County 1-1998, 2-2001, 1-2005, 1-2008, 1-2009, 1-2010 1 murder, 3 drugs, 3 theft, 1 possesion
Chelan County Unable to identify which crimes are SBS/SBR
Clallam County 1999-2011 24 violations of 9.41.190 listed, no SBS/SBR identified or used in crimes.
Clark County Did not respond
Columbia County Did not respond
Cowlitz County Can not search for only SBS/SBR. 26 weapons violations in 2010.
Douglas County 2005-2011 No SBS/SBR crime
Ferry County 1994 - 2012 No SBS/SBR crime
Franklin County Awaiting responce
Garfield County No records of SBS/SBR crime
Grant County Did not respond
Grays Harbor County No SBS/SBR violations
Island County Did not respond
Jefferson County Did not respond
King County Did not respond
Kitsap County No violations of 9.41.190
Kittitas County Did not respond
Klickitat County No SBS/SBR crime from 2003 to 2011
Lewis County No SBS/SBR violations
Lincoln County No SBS/SBR violations
Mason County 1 SBS possession by a felon #11-07256
Okanogan County Recovered two SBS, not involved in any crimes. Unknown if registered
Pacific County No SBS/SBR crime
Pend Oreille County Unable to provide data.
Pierce County #000081015 SBS possession, #072210744 Possible SBS possession.
#092620619 burglary SBS, #992550729 possible SBS possession.
#063020338 SBS Possession, #012481100 Possible short firearm
#010041158 assault possible short firearm, #091320579 SBS possession
#080820234 Obstruction, altered shotgun
San Juan County Two SBS recovered in 2004, possession only. Case # 04-6851, 04-1969
Skagit County 3/10/04 Mossberg 500 SBS siezed #04-03466
11/7/05 SBS suicide #05-19084
3/13/11 SBS possession #11-03117
Skamania County Did not respond
Snohomish County Did not respond
Spokane County Did not respond
Stevens County No SBS/SBR violations
Thurston County Burglary, 2008. Possessions, 3 in 2008, 3 in 2009, 2 in 2010
Wahkiakum County Did not respond
Walla Walla County No SBS/SBR crime 2010, 2011
Whatcom County Did not respond
Whitman County No reported SBS and SBR crime
Yakima County 1-1993, 2-1996, 2-1998, 1-1999, 1-2001, 1-2003, 1-2006, 1-2007, 4-2008, 1-2010, 1-2011
All possession of possible unlawful firearm

Still no evidence of any crime associated with registered firearms.

Ranb

I made an error when making the list of legislators that voted to ban SBS/SBR back in 1994. Senator Kohl-Welles is a co-sponsor and should be on the list.

Here are the legislators that voted in favor on the SBS SBR ban back in 1994.

Senator Tracey Eide Federal Way
(While in House) Co-sponsor

Senator Tim Sheldon Potlatch
Says he will support bill 2099

Senator Lisa Brown Spokane
(While in House)

Senator Paull Shin Edmonds
Co-sponsor

Senator Karen Fraser Olympia

Senator Jim Hargrove Port Angeles

Senator Rosemary McAuliffe Bothel

Senator Margarita Prentice Renton

Senator Jeanne Kohl-Welles Seattle
(While in House) Co-sponsor

After the special session ends sometime in April I will be calling all of the above Senators other than Brown for a meeting. I am dying to ask the sponsors why they needed to ban future possession of registered SBS/SBR. Except for Sheldon who has already agreed to support HB2099, I may need others here to help me to make an appointment for a meeting. The Senators may be moer willing to meet with a person in their district than myself. Who here can help? I can go see any of the Senators other than Brown in Spokane as she is too far away. Thanks.

Ranb

I got a reply from Representative Pedersen; the House Judiciary Chairman. He is the one who let bill 2099 die in the 2012 session for the following reason. He did not think that Senator Kline (Senate Judiciary Chairman) would give the bill a hearing even if the House recommended it be passed. Pederson was probably right.

Who here is in Kline's district? I want to meet with him after I meet with some of the Senators that voted for the ban back in 1994. If I can get the support (or neutral position) of these Senators and if I can get Kline to take a look at the crime data, he might decide that supporting the SBS/SBR bill is just as harmless as the supporting the silencer bill.

Who here is willing to help me set up a meeting with Kline?

Ranb

I'm in the district adjacent to Kline's, but I'll see if I have any friends living in his district willing to help out. I'd love to go to the meeting either way, because if you recall, Kline and myself had an interesting conversation back when we were pushing the suppressor bill. :)

Senators Shin and Koh-Welles are willing to meet and will make an appointment with me in a week or two.

Senator Eide will not meet with me as I am not in her district. She will not speak with me on the phone either. Is there anyone here in the 30th district that can make an appointment to speak with her? If we go to meet her, I can do most of the talking.

Senator Shin's aide says I can make an appointment in the next few weeks.

Ranb

Excellent.. let's go on the offensive. I have longed for decades to see the current situation of positive pressure/energy towards restoring our lost liberties, and this is a small but wonderful step forward. Dare we hope to end the silly full auto ban, and reversal of the prohibition against concealed carry of long guns, which is a recent and senseless law?

The Washington full auto ban has been on the books since 1938. It is carved in stone. You will not repeal that law anytime soon. Washington is the ONLY state west of the Mississippi river that you can not privately own.

I just saw this and am more than willing to help out. I live in Pierce County, but registered in Snohomish County in the 38th District, due to being active duty military. My wife is registered in Pierce Co though if that helps any. Just let me know.

No more progress as far as I am aware, but we are between sessions right now. Representative Blake's aide told me that he is going to re-introduce the SBS/SBR bill next session. It will have a new number and we will not know what it is until the end of the year. But it is alive and has his support.

Most of our Representatives have full time jobs, it may be possible to meet with them on weekends or evenings.

Randy

Let me know what I can do to help from the tri cities. I have a couple of friends from Oregon that would like to visit and bring their sbr's...dang hippies down south have better laws than we do :'(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top