JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We are going through 'death cleaning," i.e. winnowing out the mounds of stuff we have acquired over a lifetime so our son doesn't have to. Some of it has been moved from the DPRK to WA, one place to another in WA, WA to TX, one place to another in TX, TX back to WA, and one place to another in WA again. We have made a dent in it and forge ahead.
We have decided to enjoy whatever time remains and spend the $ we would have used to move to Free America on what will make us happier here.

Like I mentioned before, I'm probably a little different from most. I played with a lot of different guns when I was younger, before I started family life. I'm still a long way from 60, still on the sunny side of 50, though not for long.

My kids are young yet, so I don't know how many, if any, will be interested in them down the road. I don't know how many older guys I've heard say something along the lines of how their kids all moved to the big city and became "gun-hating liberals", and now they don't know what to do with their prized collection of guns.

You are going about this the right way IMH0, just take your time.

We must have done at least one thing right in our lives, we lead the kids to water, they made the conscious effort to not be snowflakes and I am so proud of them.:s0116::s0116::s0116::s0116:
When I kick off there's not gonna be a problem getting rid of my guns/reloading stuff... They will have to wrestle to see who winds up with my massive amount of fishing gear & boat though. :s0143:

Not that you can actually leave guns to your family in the UK, but we have nobody to leave them to anyhow.

Since I hit the big 75 next week, I'm thinking of splurging out some our unspent savings on a 'last hurrah' sports car, likely my last-ever purchase of that kind - we'll see.

Gunbroker prices have definitely made me consider selling some safe queens. At some point there is a "yeah, I'd sell it for that" price. And yes, getting older I think more about "that was fun, but I haven't shot it in years, so maybe someone else needs to appreciate it."

Not that you can actually leave guns to your family in the UK, but we have nobody to leave them to anyhow.

Since I hit the big 75 next week, I'm thinking of splurging out some our unspent savings on a 'last hurrah' sports car, likely my last-ever purchase of that kind - we'll see.

Not being able to leave property you own to one's heirs must be a big bummer. What happens to a persons firearms upon death?

My wife says absolutely not. She is as involved as much if not more then I am. I have doubles of some stuff and of course them guns that I or the kids grew out of. But the grandkids and kids might want some of this stuff when I am gone . If I sell it wont b a panic sell or attempted forced buy back.

Not being able to leave property you own to one's heirs must be a big bummer. What happens to a persons firearms upon death?

If the death is sudden and the owner has no chance to make provisions, then the surviving partner must inform the police ASAP. They will take them away and lodge them with a RFD - FFL to you - who will dispose of them, usually via auction, and hand most of the money over to the surviving partner - if there is one.

There might be a problem here, though, it might seem trivial to you, but I assure you that over here it isn't.

How does the authorised person who comes to collect those guns get access to them? Only the owner knows the combination to the gun safe or knows the location of the keys - that is the law. My wife most certainly does NOT know them - that would mean that she would have access to them, and that is against the law, as she is not the authorised person. So, a copy of the combinations or a key must be lodged with your solicitor [you would say lawyer] or bank for safekeeping, always supposing that your bank has such facilities. No bank that I know of here in UK does.

Non-firearms items like reloading gear and so on will be disposed of through the club - remember that here, in order to be a target shooter, club membership is mandatory in order to get a gun license - here in UK called a Firearms Certificate [NOT a license] - in the first place.

If you have heirs then they are automatically the beneficiaries of any moneys accrued from the sales, but unless they also shoot, are members of a gun club and have the appropriate authorisations on THEIR FACs they cannot keep the firearms. They are NOT the authorised persons on the FAC.

Last Edited:
For what its worth,
I recently had a friend of mine pass away. In the ensuing days after his passing the frenzied grab up of all his firearms, tools and collectables by his less than stand up son sold for quick profit saddened me. As I continued to watch from a distance I saw his Grandson (my son in law) who was very close to his Grandpa (friend who died) see the couple of fire arms he remembered shooting with him and had significant sentimental value disappear. To say the least "Not Cool". This got me to thinking...and here is my "life change" I will not wait till my passing to see the items I own go to the people in my life who value them. I am going to get the satisfaction of seeing the thrill, joy and gratitude on the faces of my friends, children and grandchildren as I gift these items to them now. I know where to find them should I want to use them again. Yes eliminate the clunky, cumbersome, odd, (won't use in the next 6 months) things but the all the rest invest it forward and likely they'll do the same!
I'm also working on organizing the home, shop and property so that whoever follows me can find the wire nuts, the new saw blade, know where the water shut off is etc. Long way from done but making baby steps.

I take no credit for the meme.. just thought it appropriate and funny.
1614287190697.png

A few years ago we lost a good friend at the gun club. He and I had many a good day on the range, and his favourite rifle was a real live .275 Rigby Rigby top-grade sporting rifle from the 1920s' - a very beautiful thing - fully-cased with a full set of accessories and a beautiful contemporary telescopic sight. I took him down to see another friend of mine, also gone now, who once worked for Rigby as first-class gunmaker in his own right, to have some work down to the butt-plate. Anyhow, without any influence from me, he told me that he was going to make provision in his will to leave it to me. Sadly to say, shortly afterwards he died very suddenly, although I had no idea whether or not he had made the provision.

A lot of us went to the funeral - he was very well-regarded - and of course, his family were there. One of the sons, having had me pointed out to him, came over to me and told me that his dad had wanted me to have an old rifle, but he'd decided, as the 'new owner' to sell it to a local dealer instead - he thought I should know, since I might hear about it from somebody else and 'get the wrong idea' that somehow I was owed it as my due. I said very little and showed even less, but said that I was sure he had acted in the best interests of the family, as the financial gains from the sale would no doubt benefit them greatly. He looked at me very oddly, and walked off.

I found out later that he, knowing the square root of sweet FA about guns of any kind, had taken the £250 offered to him by the dealer with a smile on his face, and was very pleased with the deal, after all, it was 'old', right?

When I checked was on sale at the dealers for £12500.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top