JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Good call TM Salem. I'm sure the danger and risk of lead is generally pretty overblown, but I'm still not taking any chances around my kids.

I do cast and I have young kids, but I'm very careful. They're not allowed around it and they're very safety conscious.

My youngest had blood work done for other reasons so I had them add a blood lead level test. Nothing, nada. Had it shown even the slightest cause for concern I'd have gotten rid of all my lead, in a heartbeat. I'm still super careful though.

My grandbabies are 2 and 3 with another due in the next couple days... I wont cast until I have my own place again away from them... I may be over protective but its better then them getting lead in their system.

I'm really sold on the powder coating also. I haven't tried it in a bottleneck rifle yet but it's working great in my pistols and revolvers and straight wall carbine stuff. I had a guy local to Gresham who was selling me his cast bullets for 6.5 cents apiece (i thought that was very reasonable) and it was working great. Now he's moving to Idaho:(. I have about 50 odd lbs of lead to get started but I'll have to get some alloy metal I think. Maybe some hard shot if I can find it. I'm not sure I can find enough lead around to keep me casting for long but maybe I'll be able to pick up some range scrap. I know a few places I could find lots in a hillside:p.

What is your favorite powder coating?

What is your favorite powder coating?
Well the harbor freight red works okay but the Eastwood brand is amazing imop. I really like the Ford Dark Blue and the Gloss Red. It sticks to anything and when it cooks it leaves an amazingly smooth coating. It's shooting really well for me up to 1800fps. I haven't pushed it any harder than that.

Well the harbor freight red works okay but the Eastwood brand is amazing imop. I really like the Ford Dark Blue and the Gloss Red. It sticks to anything and when it cooks it leaves an amazingly smooth coating. It's shooting really well for me up to 1800fps. I haven't pushed it any harder than that.
Thanks for all the help fellas. I just cast my first batch of 125gr .358. They are dropping at 127gr +/- 1.5 and measure .358. Not bad for range scrap 8 lbs and some magnum shot 2lbs. I guess we'll see when I shoot'em. No thermometer or bhn tester. Eyeball and a fingernail:p.
I can see why you don't want to stop when they are casting well. It's a lot of tweakin' to get there. Message_1500217456236.jpg Message_1500220632217.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top