JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah I was wondeting if the flame temp was hot enough. I was looking at this electric hot pot I thought it might be more simple but I wonder about fluxing and whatnot with such a gadget.

Hot Pot 2 : Cabela's

Those work fine, but 4 lbs is tiny, if you ever do any big guns that will get used up fast, 4 lbs is only about 50 45-70 bullets.

I use sawdust as flux, read about it in a casting guide once and it works great, beeswax also works well.

Those work fine, but 4 lbs is tiny, if you ever do any big guns that will get used up fast, 4 lbs is only about 50 45-70 bullets.

I use sawdust as flux, read about it in a casting guide once and it works great, beeswax also works well.
Well I tap out at 180gr 40 s&w right now. I usually do stuff in pretty small batches but doing the ingots I should probably have something bigger? Like 10lb maybe? I don't want it to be so big I can't handle it myself:p. Lead is heavy.

Well I tap out at 180gr 40 s&w right now. I usually do stuff in pretty small batches but doing the ingots I should probably have something bigger? Like 10lb maybe? I don't want it to be so big I can't handle it myself:p. Lead is heavy.

I buy cast iron pots at scrap yards, I have a big one for processing ( making ingots) and then smaller ones for casting. My smallest still probably holds at least 20 lbs, it's easier to maintain the heat where you want with big quantities. And I always do a big batch when I do any casting.

OK, so here is what I made.

lead 009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been casting for 40 years and see it as a way to keep costs down. Has become more of a chore than a hobby. I do still enjoy reloading though.

I hear that. I just don't have as much time for it any more. I've come to appreciate the 5 or 6 cavity molds, makes it a lot quicker.

I also have become a big fan of powder coating bullets. I started out tumble lubing with alox; it worked but I didn't care for the sticky mess. Then I lube-sized for many years with good results. I didn't think I'd care for powder coating, figured it was a passing fad or something, but tried it anyhow. I recently sold all my lube-sizers. I'll never go back. These powder coated bullets are just so slick and clean.

I have two handguns that I always had trouble finding the right recipe to not lead; alloy, diameter, lube, etc.. Powder coating was like a miracle cure; get some basics right and the leading was gone completely.

IMG_3666[1].jpg

I cast ball for my Ruger Old Army, and two bullet weights for my High Wall Winchester. I also cast a .580" Minié for my artillery carbine.

I buy bullets for my Ruger Super Redhawk - 'snot worth me casting them for the small saving I'd make.

tac

I hear that. I just don't have as much time for it any more. I've come to appreciate the 5 or 6 cavity molds, makes it a lot quicker.

I also have become a big fan of powder coating bullets. I started out tumble lubing with alox; it worked but I didn't care for the sticky mess. Then I lube-sized for many years with good results. I didn't think I'd care for powder coating, figured it was a passing fad or something, but tried it anyhow. I recently sold all my lube-sizers. I'll never go back. These powder coated bullets are just so slick and clean.

I have two handguns that I always had trouble finding the right recipe to not lead; alloy, diameter, lube, etc.. Powder coating was like a miracle cure; get some basics right and the leading was gone completely.

View attachment 375572
Nice. Did you buy or make those aluminum checks?

Nice. Did you buy or make those aluminum checks?

I bought them. Sages Outdoors as I recall. At one time I looked into making gas checks, but when I considered the amount of time involved it just didn't seem worth it. Sometimes I'm not really sure if casting is worth my time, to be honest. A few hours of extra overtime at work will buy more gas checks and bullets than I would make in a week.

The problem is, overtime money in the paycheck still goes into the household budget, and is relied on to pay the bills. I just can't justify spending it on toys, so if I want bullets I still have to make them myself. :)

View attachment 375572
I'm really sold on the powder coating also. I haven't tried it in a bottleneck rifle yet but it's working great in my pistols and revolvers and straight wall carbine stuff. I had a guy local to Gresham who was selling me his cast bullets for 6.5 cents apiece (i thought that was very reasonable) and it was working great. Now he's moving to Idaho:(. I have about 50 odd lbs of lead to get started but I'll have to get some alloy metal I think. Maybe some hard shot if I can find it. I'm not sure I can find enough lead around to keep me casting for long but maybe I'll be able to pick up some range scrap. I know a few places I could find lots in a hillside:p.

I'm really sold on the powder coating also. I haven't tried it in a bottleneck rifle yet but it's working great in my pistols and revolvers and straight wall carbine stuff. I had a guy local to Gresham who was selling me his cast bullets for 6.5 cents apiece (i thought that was very reasonable) and it was working great. Now he's moving to Idaho:(. I have about 50 odd lbs of lead to get started but I'll have to get some alloy metal I think. Maybe some hard shot if I can find it. I'm not sure I can find enough lead around to keep me casting for long but maybe I'll be able to pick up some range scrap. I know a few places I could find lots in a hillside:p.
Some guy here is selling pure tin for a really good price..

Wheel weights and shot make great hardeners because they contain antimony and arsenic, both of which make your bullets water quenchable and provide good options for many velocities.

The only thing I use pure tin/lead mixes for is blackpowder, where I need very accurate softness.

I'm down to less than 900lbs After 17yrs at a tire shop I collected over a ton before changing careers. Now I can afford to just buy boolits and keep this lead and casting tools for SHTF

I havent cast since I moved up here to Oregon. I have about 1600lbs of alloy sitting in the garage. I live with my grandbabies so I wont cast with them around, It will wait until I am in my own house.

I havent cast since I moved up here to Oregon. I have about 1600lbs of alloy sitting in the garage. I live with my grandbabies so I wont cast with them around, It will wait until I am in my own house.
If they've grown their molars you can put them to work testing various batches on bullet hardness.. a good bite dent usually means the batch is good for probably 1600fps.

jk

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads