JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What machine-gun to buy?

• M2 Carbine. It was good enough for the silent generation, it is good enough for you.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • AC-556 (or a clone) Ruger goodness, yah!

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • A Mac ... no not the computer you nerd. A Mac-10, Mac-11, etc.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • Reising. Let her rip old school.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Sten. God save the Queen!

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Astra Modelo 902. ¡Viva España!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Stemple creation. ("Tube gun" sounds naughty.)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • (gasp!) Machine-guns are fully semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up! :(

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
Having owned a lot of MG's, if you can only have one, and it's going to be a shooter, an M16 in either the form of a registered receiver or a DIAS is the way to go.

It essentially gives you a subgun, a assault rifle and a belt feed all in one. Put in some magwell blocks and a 9mm upper and trigger parts and you've got an SMG. Throw on an upper and you've got an assault rifle available in more calibers than you can poke a stick at, including .22LR.
Throw on an open bolt LMG upper and feed from drum or stick mags, or get a Srike upper and you have a drum or belt feed LMG.
They're essentially the Meccano of machineguns.

Lighten up Francis. Its a toy and an investment. Not everything has to be practical. Its a 9mm . A thousand rounds costs $125. Good for the whole day shooting.

The best thing about Machineguns is they are free. You buy it, shoot it for years and when you get bored with it you can sell it for more than you paid for it guaranteed like the sun rising in the morning..
Eh, they've been dropping in value so that speculation isn't always true.

And there is a high entry cost and hassle of purchase and ownership.

I digress. looks like OP made his purchase.

Be safe and have fun!

Be safe and have fun!

What hassle of ownership or purchase? In what way? 30 minutes to fill out a form and a set of fingerprints. Oh no. As far as the historical pricing and values do you REALLY want me to whip out the pricing charts for the last 20 years? Really? It wouldnt help your argument. Just saying. Cost to buy is immaterial. You buy, play and sell down the road.

1573861375601.jpeg

What hassle of ownership or purchase? In what way? 30 minutes to fill out a form and a set of fingerprints. Oh no. As far as the historical pricing and values do you REALLY want me to whip out the pricing charts for the last 20 years? Really? It wouldnt help your argument. Just saying. Cost to buy is immaterial. You buy, play and sell down the road.

Indeed. And since I have an FFL, it is even easier. Cutting a check and printing a copy of said license took me, what, five minutes tops? There is some record keeping, but it is nothing.

And so I am.

So, nada this afternoon, I call, the seller (or rather his idiot administrative assistance) got me mixed up with another buyer. I asked them when they thought the Form 4 would be in, she has to call me back, which I just answered, and the damn form hasn't even been filed! I realize it is hard to get good help these days, but FFS. That's not a tease, that is a swift kick to the groin. :mad:

Oh well, mag dumps, at least from that one, ain't happening this weekend.

The only headache I have experienced, is that you have to keep a very sharp eye on them when you're transporting them from home to shooting locations.
If the wife calls and asks for you to stop at a grocery store to pick something up, you don't chance leaving them unattended in a parking lot.
Other then that, they've been a lot of fun for me and other members here that wouldn't have a chance to shoot one.

The only headache I have experienced, is that you have to keep a very sharp eye on them when you're transporting them from home to shooting locations.
If the wife calls and asks for you to stop at a grocery store to pick something up, you don't chance leaving them unattended in a parking lot.
Other then that, they've been a lot of fun for me and other members here that wouldn't have a chance to shoot one.
Definitely enjoyed the opportunity you gave many at the rock querie last year or two ago. Got to check a Tommy Gun of the list.

Be safe and have fun!

Mine were inherited and the ATF has dropped the $15.00 per machine gun transfer fee to $0, so I didn't have to pay a dime.

Last Edited:
I added myself to the Lage waiting list. (Number 27 in line, wee.) Other than the cost any reason why running said is a bad idea? (It reduces the rate, I believe I can use more commonly available magazines, and it is threaded to ½x28.)

Thanks.

Actually with a machinegun, you must notify the ATF when traveling out of state using an ATF Form 5320.20. You must have it approved before traveling.
Yes of course. It was a point on the leaving it unattended in a car. Out of sight/locked up etc is not illegal. I have a slew of SBR's and have owned machineguns in the past and will again soon. 5320.20 might not go without saying but its understood.

Only issue I ever had with a machinegun was when I was out shooting a M11/9 once and driving home and my car ran out of gas. I put the gun in a old gas mask bag and slung it over my shoulder and started walking towards the gas station. Cop pulls up and started being a real bubblegum. Put me in the back of his car, drove 4 miles to a turn around, went back to my car and demanded to see my proof of registration insurance etc. OK Here... Then he drove me to a gas station and dropped me off and drove away. I could have walked there faster. In any case he never asked what was in the bag. Worst cop ever.

Last Edited:
Well, the Lage upper came in today:

Lage.jpg

Alas, the actual subgun is still tied up by Los Federales. It is going FFL to FFL, so there is no background, prints, et al., so who knows what is taking so long.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews