JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What machine-gun to buy?

• M2 Carbine. It was good enough for the silent generation, it is good enough for you.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • AC-556 (or a clone) Ruger goodness, yah!

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • A Mac ... no not the computer you nerd. A Mac-10, Mac-11, etc.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • Reising. Let her rip old school.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Sten. God save the Queen!

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Astra Modelo 902. ¡Viva España!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Stemple creation. ("Tube gun" sounds naughty.)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • (gasp!) Machine-guns are fully semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up! :(

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
I know you said no belt-feds, but those are true Machine Guns, the rest that you mentioned are legally "machine guns", but technically are not - they are rifles and PC carbines or pistols capable of full auto fire.

It depends on what you want to use them for, but I have often asserted that if you are going to lug around a rifle, then get it in a rifle chambering - this goes double for full auto.

May I suggest an alternative to a full auto?

An AR lower with a binary or other fast trigger and a belt fed upper like this:

First, it will be a lot less expensive than any NFA "machine gun", even after you feed it.

Second, it will be a lot more fun.

Third, it will be more effective in SHTF.

Fourth, it will be legal more places and much easier to move across state lines.

Fifth, it can be fed by magazine or belt, and you can put a different upper on it.

Finally, if you want it to be full auto, you can just get either a full auto lower, or a full auto trigger mechanism.

There are other uppers besides the FlightLite MCR, but this is the one that I would get if I were going with the AR platform. I vacillate back and forth between this and a semi-auto belt fed like the FN M249S or larger. In many scenarios, someone with a fast trigger finger can work a semi-auto belt fed almost as effectively as a full auto.

The prices today for legal NFA full autos far outpace what you would pay for a semi-auto belt fed, even after taking into account the ammo.

@CountryGent i can't remember if you were the one with the FFL license down south or not?

Would it be worth going down the rabbit hole to get the remaining licenses to be able to purchase post ban dealer samples?

Yes, I have an FFL. No, it is not a SOT. It has crossed my mind to add said, but that side business isn't active enough to justify the cost. Access to Posties would be nice though. The down side is unless it is a pre-May dealer sample, I'd have to get rid of it when hanging up the license.

Last Edited:
The FN FNC used to be an affordable way to have a select fire.
The auto sear is the registered part not the rifle itself.
I haven't looked lately but you used to be able to get an FNC for $3500 or so and the Auto sear was in the same range. The 4 position switch was another $300 or so.
I imagine that by now stuff is getting a bit more expensive and there are more rifles to host them than sears.

I always liked the FNC, not sleek and pretty with the spot welds but all business non the less.
If I had the $ I would buy a para model and look for a sear.
I figure that if the novelty of FA wore thin that the sear could be transferred and I keep the gun as a SA.
But.. I'm in no danger of having to make any decisions like that right now. Just something I ponder as I sit in traffic.

I have noticed that transferable MAC 11/9's are in short supply, but the Mac 10/45's are more prevalent lately.
Lage Manufacturing does make some slow fire uppers, but not as varied for the 9mm.

Yes, I have an FFL. No, it is not a SOT. It has crossed my mind to add said, but that side business isn't active enough to justify the cost. Access to Posties would be nice though. The down side is unless it is a pre-May dealer sample, I'd have to get rid of it when hanging up the license.
It's worth calculating if you ask me. I knew a dealer in Reno that went this route. He used the license to make a small quantity of high quality silencers, but mainly used it as a low cost alternative to getting some happy mode post ban options. Looking at the pricing on post ban dealer samples vs fully transferable, you may be saving money, minus licensing.

Could be a game plan; the $100 question is do I plan on hanging onto the MG and bequeathing it to my wee ones or will I dump in a few years? I honestly don't know on that one, though knowing how the interests ebb and flow, it is possible. If the latter, might as well just slap a SOT on the FFL, be able to deal in NFA items for extra business, and have posties in stock. I'm not clear how post samples are transferred now; back in the day it required a letter from a law enforcement agency (colloquially known in NFA circles as "love letters"). A search indicates that still is the case. Though there is this:

:)

Minor update on this and a mild rant. So, I found the Mac-10 that will fill the bill. My plan was to order it tomorrow and get the ball rolling. My hope was to transfer directly to my 01FFL (Dealer) license on a Form 4, which is perfectly legal (ATF definition is "Dealer in Firearms Other than Destructive Devices (Includes: rifles, shotguns, pistols, revolvers, gunsmith activities, and National Firearms Act (NFA) weapons) ", "Hello McFly"), but does necessitate an extra $200 tax stamp. Why?

1. There are only two SOTs I'm aware of within driving distance. One charges $75 for NFA transfers, the other $160. There is, literally, no way I'd ever do business with the former, even if it was free, because they are staffed by the biggest morons on the face of the planet; that transfer I did with a lowly can was well beyond dumpster-fire zone, almost completely caused by their gross incompetence. The other is staffed by slightly less brain-dead individuals, but $200 vs $160, who cares?
  2. The item would be in possession right now, rather than the year long wait.
  3. The last I checked, going to an FFL requires no pics and prints, because our favorite alphabet soup agency already has them.
  4. It would save a 1½" drive (both directions) or 45+ minutes (both directions) drive to the aforementioned SOTs. Doesn't sound like much, but when you are working six days a week, with two business enterprises, and a family, every little bit counts.
The response I get from the seller? Basically "(derp) We'll only transfer to a SOT." I'm going to reply once pointing out the regulations that, if one has basic reading comprehension, one can understand. After that, to hell with them, I'm going with one of their competitors.

And I'm seriously considering upgrading to a SOT. I mentioned this all to the woman a moment ago in the kitchen and she brought up doing the SOT thing too. I can sell NFA items on the side, not deal with local mental defectives, and, profit from those that don't want to deal with the aforementioned cretins either. (And per my normal business practices, will undercut them in price.) :s0155:

OK, this is a little bit of a tangent, but I have been speaking with Esposa tonight about SOT idea, though now she has gone to make chicken dish. As I understand, I will need to:

• Obtain an EIN from everyone's favorite federal agency, the IR-SS.
  • Complete SOT form.
  • Cut a check.
  • Mail in.
  • Play the waiting game.
  • Register with Silencer Shop and other vendors.
  • Profit!
The marketing of said upgraded FFL would be:

• Lowest transfer cost in the county!
  • Not staffed by clinically brain-dead, drooling mutants!
  • I'm a chronic insomniac, so flexible hours for those doing shift-work is fine.
And there is the Posties, thing too.

(In all seriousness, my plan is still to acquire a Mac registered to our Trust, but today's unfortunate interaction reminded me of a business opportunity.)

Aight, I'm done wasting time, so is the woman who drives many projects, and has most directly bespoke, so tomorrow I find the vendor and we'll get this one in the pipe-line. Ay, wish me luck. :s0155:

Once you take delivery you will of course need to wear this every Christmas. 12B5AF33-F86D-4E4A-AC14-96343DE14CBC.jpeg

The M203 would be a nice touch. "Say 'ello to my lil' friend!"

This reminds me of a memory from early fatherhood. I come home tired, in the suit, and heavily pomaded hair, scoop up the just recently walking little girl (age 1 give or take), pop into mom's sewing room to find her in and out of sleep. I put the baby in a hip-shoot position, and say, "Say hello to my little friend!" Mom laughed her butt off. :s0112:

Once you take delivery you will of course need to wear this every Christmas. View attachment 626875

Haha. Oh dear, hoes. :s0140:

The wife and I were up in the city for a rather spirited and wacky party. On the way home we stopped at place that rents machine-guns. Alas, their Mac-10 was out for repair so I couldn't try before you buy. I did, however, light up the range a bunch with an Uzi. How do I put this ... most fun you can have with your pants on. :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews