JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What machine-gun to buy?

• M2 Carbine. It was good enough for the silent generation, it is good enough for you.

Votes: 16 13.2%
  • AC-556 (or a clone) Ruger goodness, yah!

Votes: 18 14.9%
  • A Mac ... no not the computer you nerd. A Mac-10, Mac-11, etc.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • Reising. Let her rip old school.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Sten. God save the Queen!

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Astra Modelo 902. ¡Viva España!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some Stemple creation. ("Tube gun" sounds naughty.)

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • (gasp!) Machine-guns are fully semi-automatic with a shoulder thing that goes up! :(

Votes: 8 6.6%

• Total voters
Andy brought up a great point, a BAR would also be awesome!
"You sure buy a lot of 30-06, mister!"

Dare I suggest a Bren gun?
I hear they are quite accurate single shot rifles too.

I voted Mac. Mostly as they are the most affordable and their are a few companies making replacement upper receivers for them in various calibers.

I shot a Mac with an Alliance Armament (not sure if still in business) in 556. Used a standard AR mag and even M16 bolt carrier group. A little funky to hold, but he got the Mac for 6k and the upper for 2k. So essentially a full auto double caliber for under 10k.

Full auto HK sear packs generally run in the $32-35,000 range. Machine gun prices have dropped as of late, so getting into the game is defiantly cheaper right now.

Go old school gangster, get a Thompson. Then you'll need to wear suits and a homburg hat. Don't forget the wingtips!

Already got the suits, wingtips, and heavily pomaded hair thing nailed down. As to a Thompson, my dream gun would be a M1928 pattern. But I'm pretty sure it is out of the budget. Pimp'n ain't easy in southern Oregon and I'm straight outta Condon. :p

MP5. Reasonably cheap to feed and they run like a sewing machine and suppress well too. I've fired one in FA suppressed and it's more fun than a blumpkin.

;):p

I guess budget is needed to decide, MP5 is awesome but not cheap.

A 9mm is cheap to shoot, UZI's are not too bad in price, but still more than a MAC.

An AR is nice and easy for parts, and maintenance but cost more to shoot.

I went down the rabbit hole once over at Gunbroker to see what prices on some of these "happy mode" guns were.

Let's just say, I envy you, and look forward to living vicariously through your purchase.

If you make your way up to Portland, you can come try out my suppressed SWD Mac 11/9 and a Thompson so you can experience heavy & slow vs. fast and light.

Ok, I gotta be a little different, H-K Mod 33/53 With the fun switch and suppressor, a wickedly handy platform and very useful!
Other then that, a REAL deal M-16A1 or A2 with M-203, or that most classic of pigs, the Browning BAR, nothing says you care then 20 rounds of full auto .30 right quick and in a hurry like!

It has been a slow day at the office, so I've been snooping around various MG dealers and auctions on the Intratubes. I'm more and more thinking of going Mac-10 or 11 in 9㎜ Parabellum because:

• Relatively low cost of entry.
  • Runs on inexpensive ammo.
  • Magazines are reasonably priced and available.
  • Can run as a bullet-hose or apply a slow-fire conversion.
  • Already have a silencer that would work fine with an adapter.
  • There are gunsmiths who know how to keep them running.
  • Good aftermarket support with parts, stocks, et al.
  • Not a very old gun which may have mechanical issues.
  • So ugly looking it is kind of neat-o.
  • Russell Ziskey would approve.
3b00df67b0ff88e3d181b7cf3f6b0535.jpg

Thoughts?

I made my own silicon buffer pad and other then it not liking metal magazines, I've never had a problem with it. The Zytell mags are the way to go.
The old large flange style suppressor mount makes the can come loose after every mag, so you need a heat cover to keep tightening the Bowers suppressor back tight.
I won't let anyone shoot it without the suppressor, or the fake suppressor, because it's too easy to shoot a finger off with that stubby barrel.

Start stockpiling ammo for it. Prices are good right now.
You and your friends will blow through a bunch in a hurry when it first shows up.

While I don't have experience with a number of those you are considering, I'm fortunate that someone close owns/have owned a number of different full autos and select fire rifles, carbines, and SMGs. Had a chance to fire M-16 with short barrel, AC 556, MP5, AK 47, and BM 59.

While they are all fun, if I was in the market my funds would go for a M16 in a short barreled configuration given the versatility and cost to feed. The AK would e a close second. With the AR platform, you can swap calibers (including to handgun cal uppers) easily and fairly inexpensively if desired. Even to .22lr for cheap plinking. And getting replacement parts isn't bad, whereas when the AC 556 broke a firing pin, it had to go back to Ruger. They took care of the owner just fine, but it was probably 20 years ago.

The AC 556 ran good and had a lower acquisition cost, but less versatile than the M16. The BM59 is fun, but gets expensive to feed. The MP5 did not run as reliably (had some jams), but it could have been an ammo or cleaning issue. The AK runs great (no surprise) is lots of fun to shoot, and isn't too bad to feed.

They are addicting, so good luck stopping with just one (if you haven't already started down the road).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top