JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After enjoying my new Spike's ST-15 build up in Albany a few weeks ago, I decided I need another AR-15 to keep my first rifle company. Having spent about $1k on the first build, I'm thinking about buying a turnkey rifle to avoid the additional costs associated with a AR rifle build. I ran the numbers on putting together another AR-15 and it still came up around $750-800- cheaper than my Spike's rifle, but still more than I want to spend on this one. Are there any rifle kits out there with good quality barrels (even chrome lined?) in them?

On the ready-to-shoot side, I'm looking at a Smith & Wesson MP-15 sport II and the Aero Precision AC-15- both can be bought for $600/ea. Are there any entry-level sport rifles out there worth considering too? Thanks for your replies.

Geno

I'd look hard at the nekkid Anderson Brownell's is selling - then you can just add whatever furniture you want. If you can find one treated with RF-85 that would be the bomb. 4050 CMV nitrided barrel, full auto mi l spec BCG, etc...

IMO the Aero Precision is every bit as good as any AR out there.

Also, consider the Adams Base rifle if you want a piston that has all the right stuff.

I agree with Aero. I don't think youwould find a better upper and lower for the price.
I've built three. Two AR15s and one AR10 in .308.

Now is the time to buy. I always like building my own. Then I don't have to change a prebuilt after.

After combing the popular site for deals on complete rifles, rifle kits and complete upper assemblies, I think I've decided which route I'm going to go:

<broken link removed>
Spike's Tactical Stripped Lower (Multi) Forged - Punisher
Magpul ACS Carbine Stock - Mil-Spec - MAG370FDE
MOE+ Grip Polymer Dark Earth : AR-15 MOE+ GRIP | Brownells

The PSA rifle kit seems to offer alot for the money- the chrome lined 16" barrel made by FN makes it a greal deal IMO. Even though I'm not a fan of the M4 stock, I'm okay putting it in the spares box along with the pistol grip and adding the Magpul furniture I like. At around $740-750 this build will cost at least $150 more than the AC-15 or MP-15, but I'm willing to pay a little more for more quality. Looks like I'm going hunting for a cheap rear sight to keep costs down.

Geno

Last Edited:
After combing the popular site for deals on complete rifles, rifle kits and complete upper assemblies, I think I've decided which route I'm going to go:

<broken link removed>
Magpul ACS Carbine Stock - Mil-Spec - MAG370FDE
MOE+ Grip Polymer Dark Earth : AR-15 MOE+ GRIP | Brownells

The PSA rifle kit seems to offer alot for the money- the chrome lined 16" barrel made by FN makes it a greal deal IMO. Even though I'm not a fan of the M4 stock, I'm okay putting it in the spares box along with the pistol grip and adding the Magpul furniture I like. At around $740-750 this build will cost at least $150 more than the AC-15 or MP-15, but I'm willing to pay a little more for more quality. Looks like I'm going hunting for a cheap rear sight to keep costs down.

Geno

I used the ACS stocks on my builds a few years ago. Very nice and I really like them, but the reason I used them is that their weight was enough to nicely balance the rifles over the mag well. These rifles were a little nose heavy due to barrel profile and free float hand guard, also pistons.

In the AR-556 I just got I really liked the MFT Minimalist stock. It's the lightest weight production stock and with the MagPul MOE hand guard also balances perfectly. The Minimalist is comfortable and strong, and the burnt FDE matches MagPul FDE perfectly. Just something to consider, and looks like a nice build!

I used the ACS stocks on my builds a few years ago. Very nice and I really like them, but the reason I used them is that their weight was enough to nicely balance the rifles over the mag well. These rifles were a little nose heavy due to barrel profile and free float hand guard, also pistons.

In the AR-556 I just got I really liked the MFT Minimalist stock. It's the lightest weight production stock and with the MagPul MOE hand guard also balances perfectly. The Minimalist is comfortable and strong, and the burnt FDE matches MagPul FDE perfectly. Just something to consider, and looks like a nice build!

Couldn't add the picture to the previous post...
upload_2016-9-6_7-47-43.png

Is that the carbine length MOE handguard? I'm planning a lightweight build myself. That's pretty much the exact looking build I want to do.

Yes, that's the carbine length hand guard. Very comfortable and rock solid.

Nice AR. I prefer the extra length of a mid length gas block though. But not a thing wrong with a carbine length grip.

Geno

If I were building I'd probably go with a middy at this point. The slightly extra weight, mostly due to the hand guard, is offset by a smoother recoil, longer hand guard, and longer sight radius. Carbine is still OK since 5.56 is a pretty mild cartridge.

Another option I was considering was using an Anderson lower- at $49 the price is right, but it's still a decent piece. The PSA rifle kit I'm considering does have the goofy-looking cylindrical M4 foregrip, but I'm curious how it feels and I'm sure it can easily be replaced. The temptation to go Quad rail grip is there too- but again I'm trying to keep this build under $1k. Something tells me project creep will get this build too-lol.

Geno
27708_1.jpg

The Anderson lower is every bit as good as any other quality forged lower. I've had two of them and they fit tight, no light leak, to Aero Precision uppers I was using.

Update: I ended up buying this PSA upper. For the specs listed, having a chrome-lined barrel for $400, it seemed like a good value to me:

<broken link removed>
16in_midlength_classic_5_1.jpg

I also missed the boat on getting a $49 Anderson lower from Primary Arms, so I bought this Spike's stripped lower for $95:

STLS015-2.jpg
So much for my low budget build- looks like another $800-900 AR-15.

Geno

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads