JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was a sweathog when I got home today. It was shower time.

Right up until I found this in the tub!! :eek:

Span on the legs exceeds 3"!!! o_O
20160822_112652.jpg

I'm keeping it alive for now. Lizard food :D

I dropped it in the tank and the lizard was on it immediately. SLURP!!

Last Edited:
I've got lots of those, any idea what they are? I have had one crawl over my head while sitting on the couch. I was fine till my wife saw it and started screaming :eek:

That little guy is an "Agressive House Spider" or more comonly called a "Hobo Spider".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQV4xXGJkJFccpnSRAzNB72P_pARu0YYmuMTrZi6TKTw2xqH8zrww.jpg

Here is what a bite looks like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRFdzTKLxGvooHff2PAzNV5uBMCki8GT7CPSWMtYSjlaqKBi0DhRA.jpg

My wife received a little nip from one of these little bastards that came from a box of clothing sent up from Medford, OR. and it took a year to heal.

I would pour some alcohol in the jar before it gets loose. My fearless Doberman would run away when one of these came running across the floor after her.

Their bite can be nasty, as you know. Not as potent, but very similar to a Brown Recluse. I fed him to my lizard about 30 minutes ago.
I'm not afraid of spiders, necessarily, but when I was reaching in the jar to grab the paper towel and pull it out, my hand was shaking due to being so close. No sooner than the spider hitting the sand in the cage, my lizard jumped down from the log he was on. SLURP, it was gone. As the lizard licked his lips as if he was thanking me for live food.

He enjoys the frogs in the spring. But one feeds him for a month.

I don't doubt that. We make a point of moving ALL the furniture, emptying drawers, and vacuuming every nook and krany every two years. They usually show up more in the fall, although I can feel the chill in the air already with the leaves dropping. The dang things come in even through the vent pipes of the plumbing. We found them in the toilet still dawned in their scuba gear as they wait for something to drop in. They learned to stay away from the bleach though. Which is good. I'm not that ballsy to take one on anyway.

There was one of those in the sink when I got up at 0315 yesterday morning. After my break, I ran some water on the damn thing,and it started coming up the sink walls. I kept it penned in the sink and turned the water off and it started to uncurl and move around a bit.

Had enough of that and the thing was too damn big to go down the drain, so I got some TP and smashed in the sink. Crunching sound like you were breaking a stick, and it went down the toilet. Weird azz things I do to amuse myself at that time of the morning.

I have daddy long legs in my office and put up with their webs because they keep the other spiders and flys in check. One of them wrapping up a fly is decent entertainment.

I rebuilt an old victorian near MLK & Broadway in Portland where they had hundreds of carcasses of that exact spider. I'm sure there were just as many alive ones. Whenever I had to do electrical or plumbing, I would pre-sweep the joists with a good broom. I didn't pay them much mind -- I had my hands full with the rats that had made a city underneath the house.

Geeze guys....A bunch of you sound like you live in the wrong part of the country.

I came here from the Salt Lake Valley in 1983. It took a bit to get used to webs anywhere you went, compared to the walks in the wide opened forests I was used to taking. Just seems natural now having spiders, ants and flies all around. I have known a person or two that got those nasty bites like above and anytime I get a particularly nasty mosquito bite I'm afeared it might be one of those! Knocking on wood.

Yes - neighbor got bit out at the coast. Put him in the hospital for about a week and it took months for the hole in his leg to heal.

Any spider in the shower gets washed down the drain - aggressively - regardless of size.

I get spider bites from time to time when I am sleeping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top