Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Tim Burgess' City View: Statewide Poll on Gun Laws

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by kegofheg, Jan 22, 2013.

1. kegofheg

kegofheg Kirkland New Member

I've been keeping tabs on local and national developments using this excellent forum, and thought I would pass along information I received today via email. I received this as I have been following other developments related to the 520 bridge project. I didn't see this on his regular blog, so I wanted to make sure I passed this information along so people here are aware of the efforts being made by him.

Here is a link to the pertinent info from Seattle Council member Tim Burgess:

Newsletter

Here is a cut and paste:

Poll: Washington Ready for Olympia to Act on Gun Safety

Washington CeaseFire unveiled a poll of statewide voter attitudes toward gun safety laws this afternoon. The results are remarkable and show that Washington voters across the political spectrum want Olympia to pass common sense gun safety laws today.

Conducted the first week of January by Alison Peters Consulting, a firm that serves both Republican and Democratic clients, the poll of 600 registered voters revealed wide and strong support for a variety of gun safety measures, including:

a state law to require that everyone who buys a gun at a gun show undergo a background check (87% in support);
    a state law to increase mandatory penalties for youth firearm possession, starting with house detention at the first offense (68% in support);
    a state law to ban semi-automatic assault weapons (66% in support);
    a state law to limit ammunition clips on guns to 10 bullets (66% in support);
    and a state law requiring the signature of local police on every concealed weapons permit application (66% in support).

When broken down by region, Seattle residents were generally more supportive of these measures. Perhaps more surprising, though, is that each of these changes received majority support from those polled in Eastern Washington (the more conservative 4th and 5th Congressional Districts).

The fact is we are far more unified on this issue than the gun lobby would have us believe. This information should help legislators in Olympia overcome fears of any potential political backlash.

In December, the City Council amended the City’s lobbying agenda for this year’s state legislative session to include the following specific policy goals: a ban on all assault weapons; a ban on large capacity ammunition magazines; universal background checks, including at gun shows; trigger locks and safe storage requirements; and micro-stamping technology in all firearms sold, purchased or delivered in the state to improve the capability of police to trace fired bullets.

Washington law restrict cities from enacting their own gun safety regulations, so the City Council will continue to respectfully but persistently encourage our colleagues in the State Legislature to take action. My hope is that these survey numbers will spur other local officials across the state to do the same.

2. Just Me

Just Me Peoples Republik of Oregon Active Member

Why is it always the gun-phobes who define "common sense" gun safety laws?

My common sense says 10 rounds is not enough for the cops, the governor's body guards, or myself.

duane black and (deleted member) like this.
  3. mkwerx

mkwerx Forest Grove, OR Well-Known Member

I would dispute the validity of the poll, given the huge turnout at Olympia last Saturday. I have doubts that 65% of Washington residents want to ban semi autos.

4. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Doesn't Washington already require the police to sign off on Permits?

Doesn't Washington already require background checks for gun show sales? Or require the buyer and seller to be members of the WAC? Which requires a background check or proof of clear background?

Doesn't Washington already prosecute underage illegal gun possession?

5. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks.

Just Me and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Here is what I can find on it. It does go though local LEO's and the law calls it "issuing authority"

(2)(a) The issuing authority shall conduct a check through the national instant criminal background check system, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045 to possess a firearm, or is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law, and therefore ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

NO, FTF sales at ANY venue is legal by state law and federal law.

The "pro" gun group WAC puts on some of the gun shows in WA state and this "pro" gun group has stricter requirements/rules then those of state law.

Yes but this post says "increase mandatory penalties" for them.

7. gehrheart

gehrheart fidalgo island Well-Known Member

Survey: Washington residents support assault weapons ban - Blog - MyNorthwest.com

More on link..

8. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

My CPL has someone's signature on it.

9. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

That's funny, nobody asked me or anybody I know about it.....

10. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

gotta admit an anti jumping in with both feet on his first news letter, must be:drunk:trying to get this to fly:rofl1:

11. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

How about we take a poll of WA gun owners on this forum and publicize it. Or maybe we only poll those that are NRA members? Do you suppose the results would be the same?

12. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

I keep hearing this over and over, " NRA members are now supporting sensible gun laws".

If anybody can tell me where these people are getting this from I would love to know. Seems the gun grabbers are delusional this time around. It seems to me we have more friends now than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Just Me and (deleted member) like this.
  13. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Isn't it interesting that it's a "statewide poll", but it is a poll of only 600 people. A poll commissioned by an anti gun organization? And the population of Washington is?

One last thing, how is it possible to infer "common sense gun laws" from "shall not be infringed".

14. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

This.

And this.

15. civilian75

civilian75 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

The ole trick, you keep repeating a lie long enough everyone will believe it, even when faced with evidence to the contrary.

Nimh, GOG, Just Me and 3 others like this.
  16. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Speaking of delusions:

Background check fantasy collides with political correctness in Seattle Times

The Seattle Times editorial board went after gun rights again Tuesday about the same time that a Seattle mayoral candidate learned the hard way that political correctness is standing in the way of something the firearms community has advocated for years: preventing mentally ill people from obtaining firearms.

http://www.examiner.com/article/bac...cal-correctness-seattle-times?cid=db_articles

17. DireWolf

DireWolf Oregon Active Member

Are you a supporting vendor of this site and do you get paid to write for The Examiner?

18. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

Burgess is a gun grabber? Damn...I thought he was looking good for mayor too.

19. Tbucket

Tbucket Olympia,Wash. Active Member

Direwolf what does that have to do with anything that is being talked about here? Are you a moderator? Are you speaking for Joe? What is your deal?

20. DireWolf

DireWolf Oregon Active Member

Is it not a reasonable question?

Are you trying to moderate my posts?