JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been keeping tabs on local and national developments using this excellent forum, and thought I would pass along information I received today via email. I received this as I have been following other developments related to the 520 bridge project. I didn't see this on his regular blog, so I wanted to make sure I passed this information along so people here are aware of the efforts being made by him.

Here is a link to the pertinent info from Seattle Council member Tim Burgess:

<broken link removed>

Here is a cut and paste:

Poll: Washington Ready for Olympia to Act on Gun Safety

Washington CeaseFire unveiled a poll of statewide voter attitudes toward gun safety laws this afternoon. The results are remarkable and show that Washington voters across the political spectrum want Olympia to pass common sense gun safety laws today.

Conducted the first week of January by Alison Peters Consulting, a firm that serves both Republican and Democratic clients, the poll of 600 registered voters revealed wide and strong support for a variety of gun safety measures, including:

a state law to require that everyone who buys a gun at a gun show undergo a background check (87% in support);
a state law to increase mandatory penalties for youth firearm possession, starting with house detention at the first offense (68% in support);
a state law to ban semi-automatic assault weapons (66% in support);
a state law to limit ammunition clips on guns to 10 bullets (66% in support);
and a state law requiring the signature of local police on every concealed weapons permit application (66% in support).

When broken down by region, Seattle residents were generally more supportive of these measures. Perhaps more surprising, though, is that each of these changes received majority support from those polled in Eastern Washington (the more conservative 4th and 5th Congressional Districts).

The fact is we are far more unified on this issue than the gun lobby would have us believe. This information should help legislators in Olympia overcome fears of any potential political backlash.

In December, the City Council amended the City’s lobbying agenda for this year’s state legislative session to include the following specific policy goals: a ban on all assault weapons; a ban on large capacity ammunition magazines; universal background checks, including at gun shows; trigger locks and safe storage requirements; and micro-stamping technology in all firearms sold, purchased or delivered in the state to improve the capability of police to trace fired bullets.

Washington law restrict cities from enacting their own gun safety regulations, so the City Council will continue to respectfully but persistently encourage our colleagues in the State Legislature to take action. My hope is that these survey numbers will spur other local officials across the state to do the same.

I would dispute the validity of the poll, given the huge turnout at Olympia last Saturday. I have doubts that 65% of Washington residents want to ban semi autos.

Doesn't Washington already require the police to sign off on Permits?

Doesn't Washington already require background checks for gun show sales? Or require the buyer and seller to be members of the WAC? Which requires a background check or proof of clear background?

Doesn't Washington already prosecute underage illegal gun possession?

Doesn't Washington already require the police to sign off on Permits?

Here is what I can find on it. It does go though local LEO's and the law calls it "issuing authority"

(2)(a) The issuing authority shall conduct a check through the national instant criminal background check system, the Washington state patrol electronic database, the department of social and health services electronic database, and with other agencies or resources as appropriate, to determine whether the applicant is ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 or 9.41.045 to possess a firearm, or is prohibited from possessing a firearm under federal law, and therefore ineligible for a concealed pistol license.

Doesn't Washington already require background checks for gun show sales? Or require the buyer and seller to be members of the WAC? Which requires a background check or proof of clear background?

NO, FTF sales at ANY venue is legal by state law and federal law.

The "pro" gun group WAC puts on some of the gun shows in WA state and this "pro" gun group has stricter requirements/rules then those of state law.

Doesn't Washington already prosecute underage illegal gun possession?

Yes but this post says "increase mandatory penalties" for them.

Survey: Washington residents support assault weapons ban - Blog - MyNorthwest.com

Most Washington residents support stronger background checks for gun purchasers and banning assault weapons, according to a new statewide poll.

Washington Ceasefire, a grass-roots organization working to end gun violence, commissioned the poll which was conducted by a consulting group that represents both Republicans and Democrats.

Overall, the poll found 76 percent of state residents support tighter gun laws.

About 87 percent of Washington residents want better background checks of gun buyers. That means requiring background checks for all firearm purchases, even from private dealers at gun shows.

When it comes to assault weapons, 66 percent support a ban on semi-automatic weapons.

Washington Ceasefire's Ralph Fascitelli says the poll suggests voters are "far ahead of state elected officials who have passed only one gun reform so far in this century, and seems to be struggling to reach a consensus in the current session, even in the wake of Sandy Hook and other recent mass shooting incidents such as Cafe Racer."
More on link..

How about we take a poll of WA gun owners on this forum and publicize it. Or maybe we only poll those that are NRA members? Do you suppose the results would be the same?

How about we take a poll of WA gun owners on this forum and publicize it. Or maybe we only poll those that are NRA members? Do you suppose the results would be the same?

I keep hearing this over and over, " NRA members are now supporting sensible gun laws".

If anybody can tell me where these people are getting this from I would love to know. Seems the gun grabbers are delusional this time around. It seems to me we have more friends now than ever.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Isn't it interesting that it's a "statewide poll", but it is a poll of only 600 people. A poll commissioned by an anti gun organization? And the population of Washington is?

One last thing, how is it possible to infer "common sense gun laws" from "shall not be infringed".

I keep hearing this over and over, " NRA members are now supporting sensible gun laws".

If anybody can tell me where these people are getting this from I would love to know. Seems the gun grabbers are delusional this time around. It seems to me we have more friends now than ever.
This.

Isn't it interesting that it's a "statewide poll", but it is a poll of only 600 people. A poll commissioned by an anti gun organization? And the population of Washington is?

One last thing, how is it possible to infer "common sense gun laws" from "shall not be infringed".
And this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Speaking of delusions:

Background check fantasy collides with political correctness in Seattle Times

The Seattle Times editorial board went after gun rights again Tuesday about the same time that a Seattle mayoral candidate learned the hard way that political correctness is standing in the way of something the firearms community has advocated for years: preventing mentally ill people from obtaining firearms.

<broken link removed>

Speaking of delusions:

Background check fantasy collides with political correctness in Seattle Times

The Seattle Times editorial board went after gun rights again Tuesday about the same time that a Seattle mayoral candidate learned the hard way that political correctness is standing in the way of something the firearms community has advocated for years: preventing mentally ill people from obtaining firearms.

<broken link removed>

Are you a supporting vendor of this site and do you get paid to write for The Examiner?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top