JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sat May 21, 2016, 9 AM to 1 PM (+/- an hour).
From NW 185th Ave, Hillsboro, go West on Hwy 26 for 32.3 miles, turn left onto Salmonberry Road, (it has a large sign right at the hwy jct), follow the Cleanup signs, destination will be on the right.

Google Earth pic of meeting site 4-21-16.jpg
Google Maps link... https://goo.gl/maps/MgTNUxpXbt82
GPS Co ordinance: 45°45'16.8"N 123°25'08.8"W

After Lunch:
(The official event ends after lunch)
You are welcome to stay and enjoy some fun target shooting with a great group of outstanding gun owners. Be sure to bring ear and eye protection and appropriate legal targets.

What to bring:
Gloves, Boots, Jeans, Rake, Shovel, Legal Targets and something with a trigger! (Rain gear might be appropriate depending on weather forecast).

What to Expect:
Coffee, donuts, lunch, free stuff, meet new and old friends, help to keep our State Lands open to recreational outdoor shooting, help keep our public playground clean and have a great time target shooting.

Who is invited:
This event is open to all Public, Family and Children. A great way to meet new people, do some shooting and help clean up our State Lands.

Help our planning efforts:
We are expecting at least 30 people for this event. Please be sure of your schedule when you RSVP above. You may change your vote at any time. We will adjust our food count accordingly. Thank you.

Additional ways to help:
We need some help to make this event happen. Please post if you can provide any of these?
  • BBQ equipment
  • Cook & Cooks Assistant
  • Sign-in Attendant
  • Director of Parking
  • Burgers, hot dogs, buns, condiments, & chips (we'll be checking stores for donations)
  • Salad(s)
  • A 1 or 2 burner Propane cook stove (to cook the coffee and tea water)
  • Propane coffee pot and coffee
  • Water (drinking bottles and for coffee & tea)
  • Donuts and cookies
  • Snack bars
This event is sponsored by Northwest Firearms and Tillamook State Forest, with supporting vendors; Sportsman's Warehouse Hillsboro, Cabela's, J&B Firearm Sales and Others as we add them.

Please RSVP in the RSVP BOX above!

Who to contact:
@Cogs , @bolus or @Reno911

NWFA Volunteers Rock! Thank you!

Last Edited:
Like the last one I'll bring my BBQ, stovetop and canopy. Will see if the wife is up for checkin and cooking again... I don't mind directing traffic too if needed.

Last Edited:
We will need trucks with this clean up!

ODF will not be attending this clean up but they will provide the dumpster. Which means no big flat bed trailer and truck like last time to haul trash.

We will need members trucks to assist with transporting the trash down to the dumpster.

Good thing about these sites is they are much close together with a better road leading to and from the dumpster location.

I have the location nailed down and put the link at the top, along with a picture from Google Earth. Looks like a nice large area!

Hi @Cogs,
I am definitely interested in attending. But also wondering if this is something that I can track through my works volunteering time. To do this, I would need a Federal Tax ID (EIN). Is this something you can PM me, or something you are familiar with.

Cheers,

Hi @Cogs,
I am definitely interested in attending. But also wondering if this is something that I can track through my works volunteering time. To do this, I would need a Federal Tax ID (EIN). Is this something you can PM me, or something you are familiar with.

Cheers,
I'll check with @Joe Link on this. Either that or Ore Dep of Forestry. Hope you can make it.

Hi @Cogs,

Cheers,
Jason at the ODF Forest Grove office should be able to sign off on your hours.

Perhaps @Reno911 or @bolus could enlighten us a little about this area. Is it still called Wildcat area? How is Wheeler road to travel and can a car make it okay? Can we hunt Sasquatch along the way?

If I recall correctly the area is called the Salmonberry Corridor, or something like that. The road you want to turn on is called Salmonberry Road, it has a large sign right at the hwy jct....
salmonberry sign.jpg

I dont think Google Maps has Wheeler Road correctly marked where you turn off hwy 26, I believe what you are referring to as Wheeler Road there is actually called Section 10 road where it comes out on 26. It might be confusing if your looking to turn off 26 onto Wheeler....

The very best map of this area is unfortunately no longer made, but here is a scanned detail view for you here, I put a pen pointing where you turn off hwy 26 onto Salmonberry Road... The junction is roughly 5 miles from the Timber Rd and comes up quickly so keep an eye but its well signed.

salmonberry rd detail view.jpg

see the little shovel/pick icon? thats the big rock quarry your meeting at, one of the spots here where everyone shoots at and trashes. You will pass 3 other main shooting spots on the way.... pictures of them in this thread: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/salmonberry-trashed-again.206836/
there are a few more locations in the area as well... the roads are good by car.

unfortunately I am scheduled to be out of town the weekend of this cleanup :( so I apologise in advance I cant make it.

Thanks, Koda. Glad you corrected that right away.

I edited the written instructions to read as such... From NW 185th Ave, Hillsboro, go West on Hwy 26 for 32.3 miles, turn left onto Salmonberry Road, (it has a large sign right at the hwy jct), follow the Cleanup signs, destination will be on the right.

Hopefully that will help. Let me know if it still needs work. Still, I will have direction signs set up beginning at the Hwy 26 turn off.

And yes, we plan to send teams back to those other spots to clean them as well, however, we'll meet at the map link location first.

Bill

Last Edited:
Thanks Koda for the map.

The road is still well used for logging and is in good shape for small cars.

Shields Road, Salmonberry, Section 10, and a few others all intersect with Wheeler Road.

Good point of reference is Shields Road is very obvious from the freeway, if you traveled to it than you have gone too far.

I figure we can all meet at the pit then split up and work to clean the main two to three spots on the way to the pit as well.

Also have a printable flier for this event. On 8 1/2 x 11 in color, PDF file. Send me a message with your email address and I'll send you the file for print. Please share with outdoor stores, gun shops, work place & ????

Thanks,

Cogs

I have the location nailed down and put the link at the top, along with a picture from Google Earth. Looks like a nice large area!

The area that gets -really- trashed is the first 'spot' past the sign on Salmonberry. I got rousted last summer after the forest fire near Timber while picking up trash at that site- he was going to write me up for having no fire fighting tools until I showed him I was there picking up trash and not dumping it... or shooting.

Right now I am going to aim for picking up trash. After the last week of sitting on my tail, I am looking forward to the exercise even if it is in slow motion!:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top