JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well there's your problem. You had an AMT. :D

So only some 1911s are good? :D

To be clear, I have shot many other 1911s, including my father's, which worked adequately, but I come from the days when it was a toss up whether any 1911 would feed HP self-defense ammo of the day without modification.

Today it is expected that a 1911 of current manufacture will feed almost any ammo, not just hardball. Back then, a lot of good gunsmiths made good money modifying 1911s so they would do what 1911s are expected to do today.

To be clear, if I had a 1911 today (my father's went to my older brother), and it worked flawlessly with all ammo, and I had an AR-15 that worked well (as most do), I would not feel under-gunned - but I prefer Sigs and Kalashnikovs if I have a choice, and I do.

While we're taking whacks at the dead beast....

The thing that the AK will never have is the modularity that the AR owns.
Take a look at a current AK, and then a current AR/M4.
Which one looks like a 21st century weapon ?

Modularity is a big advantage of the AR - for people who like to swap things around and such. Not so much for the battle field where the primary requirement for any weapon is that it should work in battle field conditions.

I want to get an AR pistol for that very reason; I want to swap stuff around on it - for hunting and shooting and such. If I have to defend my family, the AK will be the first rifle I reach for.

...the gas... (goes) through the gas tube and into the BCG...

Ah, okay. It seems there's a misunderstanding. What you describe is not what "direct impingement" means. Which also explains why you said,

"...it still acts like a DI."

In the AR platform, the fact that there are two parts – the bolt and carrier – and that one moves inside the other due to gas pressure, means that it's a gas piston. In fact, that's the very definition of "gas piston". Contrast this with direct impingement, where the gas directly pushes on a surface of the bolt; the gas doesn't flow inside the bolt or carrier, and doesn't move one part relative to another (the bolt moving within the action not withstanding).

To demonstrate the difference:
  • Make an "O" shape with your lips, put your hand over your mouth, then blow, pushing your hand away – that's "direct impingement".
  • Now, put your lips around your finger and blow, pushing your finger out of your mouth – that's "gas piston" operation.
It's a subtle difference, but that subtlety IS the difference.

Last Edited:
Ah, okay. It seems there's a misunderstanding. What you describe is not what "direct impingement" means. Which also explains why you said,

• Make an "O" shape with your lips, put your hand over your mouth, then blow, pushing your hand away – that's "direct impingement".
  • Now, put your lips around your finger and blow, pushing your finger out of your mouth – that's "gas piston" operation.

Just remember.... DON'T bite.

:D

In the AR platform, the fact that there are two parts – the bolt and carrier – and that one moves inside the other due to gas pressure, means that it's a gas piston. In fact, that's the very definition of "gas piston". Contrast this with direct impingement, where the gas directly pushes on a surface of the bolt; the gas doesn't flow inside the bolt or carrier, and doesn't move one part relative to another (the bolt moving within the action not withstanding).

Of course there are two parts. But neither of them is a piston. Gas goes into the bolt carrier to push on the bolt. The bolt acts like a piston, but it isn't a piston. But it going into the bolt carrier is more like direct impingement than a piston.

I heard Trump is going to deport people that think the AK is better than the AR. Hope it's true. :)

My HD shotgun comes out before the ARs. And a pistol before the shotgun. Depending on the noise.

To each his own. Devushka

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads