JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone try to thread the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel? From my research, most folks cut them down from 24" to 22". I still need to measure my barrel, but here is what I found online.

"The Tikka has a barrel diameter of 0.625" at the muzzle, and 0.635" 1 inch back."

-Matthew

Found this chart also. Thunder Beast Arms Corporation [TBAC] | Tech | THREAD SPECIFICATIONS

9812B915-B561-42B7-AD42-24586613F6C6.jpeg

Anyone try to thread the 6.5 Creedmoor barrel? From my research, most folks cut them down from 24" to 22". I still need to measure my barrel, but here is what I found online.

"The Tikka has a barrel diameter of 0.625" at the muzzle, and 0.635" 1 inch back."

-Matthew
I would thread it to 1/2x28tpi, Velzey is closer then we are and he does a great job.

I mostly want to shorten and recrown the barrel. The 24" long barreled Tikka's are a bit nose heavy. The 20" models feel perfect. Figured I'd look into threading it, if there was enough meat on the barrel. I'll pull it out and take some measurements in a few minutes.

24.3" long barrel
3.9" from muzzle to fluting
.617 Muzzle
.622 1"
.633 2"
.635 2.5"
.638 3"
another .9" to beginning of the shallow start of fluting

Gunsmith eyes only. I can remove the external links if needed.
Velzey, what do you think of something like this?
Brake for small contours

Supporting info?
Muzzle Threading — Don't Remove Too Much Steel « Daily Bulletin

"I prefer .150 thousandths barrel wall thickness at the minor diameter of the thread for muzzle brakes because of possible distortion of bore and safe pressure containment. less will work, but only with fitted threads and proper installment.

Barrel makers will say no less than .137 (That an exact engineering dimension) that will cover all pressures generated by different cartridges.

1/2 28 TPI has been used on 30 cal for a long time but even the military has gone to the 5/8 x 24 TPI for safety. Of the muzzle brake failures I have seen, 1/2" x 28 have made up the majority for thread failures. Other failures have been improper installation.

Even threads that have a minor diameter larger than .150 more than the bore wall thickness are recommended when possible to lessen the chance of failure and disturbing the bore diameter.

There are a lot of things that are done and have not caused problems. but how close have they came to catastrophic failure is something we never find out if we are lucky.

J E CUSTOM"

I figured that's what you were getting to by posting the minimum barrel dimensions.
In years past gunsmiths would turn and thread barrels and distort them all the time. I've had a few in that the first inch was .005 bigger because of poor threading, and turning practices. All the while using high speed steel tooling. Get the steel really how and guess what happens.

Using carbide tooling these days I ( and others) take barrels down to .062 wall thickness.
Never ever have had problems with accuracy or pressure.
When I started threading I always checked the bore with a .0001 dial indicator and gauge pins. Zero distortion.

I have honestly threaded hundreds of barrels the last few years. And have had zero problems

Now that I think about it the Holland tapered quick discharge brakes, at the start of the taper the brake is about .040 thick and tapers out from there. The wall thickness of the threaded area of the brake doesn't exceed .100 or so on some models. They are pretty thin.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads