JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just checking in if you've been out hunting yet, how'd it go? I'm going to Wenaha in a week or two for my first spring bear hunt. It's not my first hunt and definitely not my first time shooting a rifle but still open to any tips or tactics on spring bear hunting or the wenaha unit in specific! Good luck out there!

Just checking in if you've been out hunting yet, how'd it go? I'm going to Wenaha in a week or two for my first spring bear hunt. It's not my first hunt and definitely not my first time shooting a rifle but still open to any tips or tactics on spring bear hunting or the wenaha unit in specific! Good luck out there!
I went hunting three days ago.
Spent a day hiking around the Siuslaw forest and found a few good spots.
I didn't get a bear. Will keep going every week until I get one.

Situational awareness is important. Always check behind you, side to side, and above.

Although I went hunting with my Tikka, I just didn't like the idea of shooting a bear at long range.

I have an AK shotgun and will put some slugs in it, and will go hunting close range in a few days.
If I see a large bear at long range, I'll take a shot with the Tikka, otherwise, I'll just hike until I stumble on a bear, or until one charges to my call, and I'll shoot it dead with my shotgun.

Never shot a rifle and you want to start with shooting a bear...
Gotta admire his gumption!

Set it to shoot 1" high at 100 yards and you will be good to go out to about 300.

Pro tip: As a new shooter DO NOT TAKE LONG RANGE SHOTS! Keep it under a hundred, at least for this year. If you shoot at and cripple an animal without making a clean kill you will (if you have any conscience at all) torment yourself for the rest of your life.
Bears have great ears and noses but their eyesight isn't so good. Play to their weaknesses. Study the anatomy of a bear from multiple angles so that you will know where the vital organs (heart and lungs) are from most any angle. Do not shoot the bear in the area from which he defacates! Icky.
Find a place downwind of an area you expect a bear to be in and glass the area. Don't get in a hurry! Patience is even more important than the gun you're packing.

I just can't anymore, does your mom know your on the internet.
I've never had a close encounter with a bear.
Not sure a bolt action would do much with reload time and it's 3 rounds.
Again, I'm not sure.
you must be the expert.
What do you think?
I'll just listen to you, and disregard all common sense I have.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top