JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sharing my Tikka T3x upgrade build for those interested. Parts list provided for reference, along with general information/commentary. The final outcome would have this look.

00 image0(2).jpeg

Rifle: Tikka T3x Superlite in 223 with a 22.4-inch stainless fluted barrel. $749.99 at Sportsmen's Warehouse on 82nd and Johnson Creek. I purchased $750 in gift cards on Raise.com and saved 5%. I wanted to stay consistent with what I mostly shoot (AR and Ruger American Ranch) and kept with 223.

Chassis: Kinetic Research Group (KRG) Bravo in stealth gray. $369.99 on their website. I actually purchased from Anarchy Outdoors since I was shopping for a different bolt handle and knob, saw AO carried the KRG Bravo chassis, and was having a 12% "12 Days of Christmas" discount. $325.59 final price. Free shipping on the chassis.
https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/krg-bravo-chassis/

Bolt Handle: Threaded bolt handle upgrade in stainless. $59.99 regular; $54.34 with 12% discount (I split the $3.10 shipping cost for the handle and knob 50/50 for the costing.)
https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/tikka-t3-threaded-bolt-handle-upgrade/

Titanium Acorn Knob: $34.99 regular; $32.34 with discount and shipping. https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/acorn-bolt-knobs/

Unboxing rifle photos.

01 20201220_111312_resized.jpg 02 20201220_111255_resized.jpg 03 20201220_111235_resized.jpg 04 20201220_111201_resized.jpg

Changing the bolt handle and knob. This Anarchy Outdoors video provided a good tutorial:

Here's the upgraded bolt handle and knob. I should have captured a photo with the factory handle and knob while on the rifle.

05 20201219_130222_resized.jpg 06 20201220_111717_resized.jpg 07 20201221_091813_resized.jpg 08 20201221_091828_resized.jpg

Unboxing KRG chassis photos.

09 20201219_130412_resized.jpg 10 20201221_094325_resized.jpg 11 20201219_130545_resized.jpg

I mated the barrel/action to the frame; attached the Magpul bipod; and installed the DNZ Hi-Rise scope mount and Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope Christmas day. I also removed the Bravo's bottom cover and replaced with the KRG cutout, and added three spacers to increase LOP since I have longer arms.

20201226_105037.jpg
20201226_111532.jpg 20201222_111024_resized.jpg

For the scope and Magpul bipod purchase, I used a combination of raise.com for Cabela's gift cards and activejunky.com for the click-through. Cabela's online list price = $504.98. The combo showed up at the house for $409.04 (19% total discount).

I found the KRG metal magazine to be loose (can move up/down about 1mm) when test fitting and chambering with 223 snap caps. That was enough to cause chambering hangups; rounds were hitting the feed ramp but would not chamber. Disappointing since the mag has a great hefty feel (like an HK G3 mag) and ran $69.99 each for a 10-rounder. I tried with the other 2 I purchased. Same loose effect. A small piece of electrical tape below the release notch cured the issue and allowed full functionality. Still, bummed about having to "fix".

20201222_133707.jpg

Loaded 10 rounds of Fiocchi 55gr 223 to sight in scope and test fired yesterday. Third round found center. From there, I ran a series of 5 and 10-round shots, starting at 9 o'clock after the center sight-in.

20201226_105750.jpg

General thoughts/comments:
  • Butter-smooth bolt, consistent with Tikka notariety.
  • KRG Bravo stock has a solid feel. I never liked the Tikka factory stock as I felt that too light.
  • KRG buttstock pad is very thick and spongy. Really absorbs recoil well.
  • The stock cutout helps and changed how I hold a rifle.
  • I didn't like the Magpul bipod, although it looks great with the setup. Felt flimsy and REALLY didn't like the side rolling (I tightened the bottom ring as much as possible; the rifle was still able to roll a bit). I'll likely swap with one of my Harris and see how that works.
  • Disappointed I had to "fix" the magazine. Ordered MDT polymer mags to see if that will address the issue.
  • Fiocchi 55gr worked ok. I have some Federal AE 75gr I'll test next trip. Was using 55gr as I have a good supply of that and am learning the rifle and breaking her in.
  • Considering threading the Tikka to fit a can.
  • I think I will have many happy range days with the Tikka.
  • Will go head-to-head with the Ruger American Ranch when I get a chance.

Here's the final total for the build as shown.

Tikka T3x + $10 Fee
$722.49​
KRG Bravo
$325.59​
Anarchy Outdoors Handle
$54.34​
Anarchy Outdoors Knob
$32.34​
KRG Stock Base Plate
$14.99​
3 KRG Magazines
$214.97​
Scope Mount
$69.49​
Vortex Diamondback
$363.99​
Magpul Bipod
$95.54​
OpticsPlanet Mount Discount
-$15.49​
ActiveJunky Cabela's Discount
-$50.49​
Total
$1,827.77​

Did you try adjusting the magwell in the bravo? There is 1 screw that you can loosen and slide the magwell/trigger guard to take the slop out of the magazine.

Nice setup

Did you try adjusting the magwell in the bravo? There is 1 screw that you can loosen and slide the magwell/trigger guard to take the slop out of the magazine.

Nice setup

Adjustment made just now. Cartridges fed fine. Three tries with full 10-rounds.

No more electrical tape!

Thank you again for the info.

Last Edited:
@RaceFan
Thanks for the reminder. I planned to upgrade the bolt lever and knob.
Ordered-Done deal!!

View attachment 798564

Is that the Stealth Gray or Black chassis? I cannot tell from the lighting. Either way, looks awesome!

What caliber? I toyed with the idea of 308, but I shoot mostly 223/556 so kept with that. Who knows, I might have to add another Tikka/KRG member to the household :D

Looks like an Atlas bipod? How do you like it? I like the cleaner lines without the springs on your bipod. I mounted a Magpul and am disappointed so I'm looking for a replacement.

Who did you go with for the replacement bolt handle and knob? I upgraded the handle and knob on my American Ranch with ones from Anarchy Outdoors. Huge improvement. When I spec'ed this TIkka/KRG build, going back to Anarchy Outdoors for a Tikka handle and knob upgrade was a no-brainer.

Is that the Stealth Gray or Black chassis? I cannot tell from the lighting. Either way, looks awesome! Black

What caliber? 223
I toyed with the idea of 308, but I shoot mostly 223/556 so kept with that. Who knows, I might have to add another Tikka/KRG member to the household :D

Looks like an Atlas bipod? Yes How do you like it? No complaints. I like the cleaner lines without the springs on your bipod. I mounted a Magpul and am disappointed so I'm looking for a replacement.

Who did you go with for the replacement bolt handle and knob? Anarchy Outdoors. I went with the polished Titanium knob and the stainless handle. I plan to have them bead blasted. I upgraded the handle and knob on my American Ranch with ones from Anarchy Outdoors. Huge improvement. When I spec'ed this TIkka/KRG build, going back to Anarchy Outdoors for a Tikka handle and knob upgrade was a no-brainer.

Replied within ^^

Replied within ^^

Which Tikka? CTR or Varmint with a threaded barrel? I tried to find a threaded barrel... unobtainium.

What ammo are you shooting? I have TONS of Fiocchi 55gr. I have some American Eagle 75gr I plan to try out this weekend.

Have you fired 556 through the rifle? I'm reading mixed "it's ok" and "stick with 223".

I'm waiting on fabric-covered neoprene sheets to arrive. I plan to cut out and wrap cheek rest for padding. Will use double-sided tape to hold in place.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top