JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just came into possesion of a Tikka .280 nib about 2 weeks ago. Never heard of this cal or company before. Anybody have any info and is .280 ammo hard to find(haven't had time to look yet)

Thanks

5series

Tikka rifles are exceptional firearms! Made by the same company who owns Sako. Smooth, flawless actions (as slick or slicker than the old 1895 Krags - it don't get much better) and extremely decent factory trigger. Good barrels to boot. The equipped rings are not very good - pitch those and get a good set.

.280 might be rough to find without some effort - might need to reload. It was introduced in the late 1950's on the heels of the rising popularity of the 270 thanks to Jack O'Conner tomes about its (.270's that is) merits as the ultimate all 'round North America Big Game cartridge. It is a very flat shooting non-magnum round that gives the 270 a run for its money. Good for deer, bear and elk. It order to leverage the new hype of the 7mm Magnum in the 1970 or 80's Remington renamed/re-marketed it as the 7mm Express.

Check with MidwayUSA and Cabelas for factory ammo...otherwise get yourself some dies and start pullin' and handle. Enjoy your score!

Hey big thanks for the info OFADAN!

I was afraid that it might be hard to find ammo. Reloading right now is not an options because of room, but once that is solved yes I will reload.

Thanks again for the info

I use a Ruger 77 MKII in .280 as a hunting rifle,it does everything needed to hunt in the PNW. Flat shooting,inheriently accurate round and ammo is plentiful.
You will find that some will prefer the 140's,and others the 150's so buy a variety of brands and weights to see which yours will like best.
Mine has only had 10 rounds of factory fodder through it,the rest have been handloads which will really make that caliber shine.
Most factory loads you find will be on the low end of velocities since the .280 was originally introduced in the Remington Auto Loading/pump action rifles.
You received a very nice rifle,you do it well and it will take care of your needs.
RK