JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Practical purposes- none I can think of

Maybe good for executions, assassinations, with super short barrels velocity drops considerably. Probably no better than 22lr. Good for sneaking up on an enemy shooting him and taking his gun and using it instead. Maybe the "huh? what?" Factor your opponent will express seeing such a strange pos will give you the edge you will undoubtedly need.

In Range TV covered this one today and the results were terrible and unintentionally hilarious.

I had one for about a minute back in October 2019. Shot it and quickly decided not going to hang on to it, even for wackiness purposes. (That wasn't the only unworkable thing I jettisoned in that time frame, but I digress. :p)

1) I agree that for the size there are better and more practical choices, like a 5-shot .38 snubbie or a subcompact auto.

2) The COP .357 was mentioned - same thing. Similar size to Officers' Model 1911, but a lot less useful at any range beyond 10'.

3) A High Standard Derringer in .22 WRM makes an impressive ball of fire. I can imagine what the 333 muzzle flash looks like in low light. :eek:
If you miss, you have still impressed the hell out of them!

4) This is a gun for somebody who buys it as a novelty or somebody with minimal skills who couldn't hit with much of anything else either, so practical accuracy is irrelevant.

5) .22 WRM with 1 1/2" of bbl length will give about the same ballistics as a .22 lr but with a lot more Sturm und Drang.

6) IMHO, this is an answer to a question that hasn't been asked.

Last Edited:
Contrary to earlier posts (or maybe developed since then) there are 22 Magnum loads designed for self defense. A slight increase in the little Mag's use in small frame revolvers of conventional design has prompted this. Just like centerfire versions, the round is optimized for short barrel use. Two 45 grain bullets @ 1000 fps (or near, as tested in 1.875" barrel) would be substantial in a up close and personal encounter. Assuming it's reliable, I'd take this over a semi-auto or single action revolver in 22 Mag. I think it has it's place, but it's probably not at my house.
Wouldn't mind shooting one just for kicks.

Having shot one and after watching the video by In Range, I don't believe it has any utility as a defensive piece. On the contrary, it is a dangerous liability that could get one hurt. True enough, at point blank range it will place two .22-caliber bullets into something, and that will wreck an assailant's day. At any range beyond that, forget it; odds are both rounds will miss the target entirely. Legally and morally one is responsible for whatever bullet one sends down range; having absolutely no idea where this thing will put lead at even modest ranges should put any end to consideration of arming oneself with this contraption.

As a weird "gee whiz" device, perhaps it would work. I've never denied the fact that I have an interest in off-beat firearms, but this one still didn't provide enough to retain said, even at the modest price point they reside in.

Though I dig the concept and it would be great if someone made something like it work. I also applaud the manufacturer for coming out with something truly new in an era in which almost every company just burps out another plastic, striker-fired auto. But as someone joked about earlier, this one is likely soon to end up on Forgotten Weapons. And with good reason.

I'd bet the manufacturer freaked when they saw the recent InRangeTV video. Dunno how well they were doing commercially before (it was already a bit of a tough sell), but the video has a good chance of sinking the entire venture.

I do appreciate the attempt at innovation though.

I know Standard Manufacturing makes or sells others stuff (e.g., shotguns, single-action revolvers, et al.), so they might bounce back from this. Assuming the one the in video and the one I had briefly were not a fluke, I can't see how this one doesn't go away, sans some changes in how they are made. Even the most cheaply made revolvers in that size can reliable put a round on target at those ranges.

I know Standard Manufacturing makes or sells others stuff (e.g., shotguns, single-action revolvers, et al.), so they might bounce back from this. Assuming the one the in video and the one I had briefly were not a fluke, I can't see how this one doesn't go away, sans some changes in how they are made. Even the most cheaply made revolvers in that size can reliable put a round on target at those ranges.

Ah, I was unaware they made other stuff and ASSumed they hit the market with this wunderwaffe.

They seem to have an odd assortment of offerings; a double-barrel pump shotgun, expensive single-actions, 1911s, an AR clone with the unfortunate name of STD-15, etc.

InRange did an interesting follow-up that they released today where the guy conducts an experiment to see what exactly the problem is with the volley revolver. I guess some people speculated that with two rounds traveling simultaneously and next to each other, perhaps one round's effect on the other causes destabilization while in flight. Others speculated it may be an ammo issue and perhaps there's another option that the gun would like better. He loads the cylinder in such a way as to fire only the left barrel and only the right barrel to see if the in-flight disturbance theory bears out. It does not. He also tries a different brand/loading of ammo, with the same result. It turns out the key-holing is happening from only one barrel and attributes the problem to poor quality control with the barrels on these guns.

So what appears to be a long list of disadvantages for nothing more than two rounds that leave the gun simultaneously?

I fail to see anything practical about this gun and it appears potentially dangerous.

The icing on the cake is the 3 - dot sights - I mean why?

So what appears to be a long list of disadvantages for nothing more than two rounds that leave the gun simultaneously?

I fail to see anything practical about this gun and it appears potentially dangerous.

The icing on the cake is the 3 - dot sights - I mean why?

That appears to be the long and short of it. Zero practical application. Quite possibly dangerous to actually use. Debatable novelty value.

I at least feel slightly better that it wasn't just me who couldn't achieve "minute of broadside of barn" with this one at any range farther than damn near physical contact with the target. :eek:

I at least feel slightly better that it wasn't just me who couldn't achieve "minute of broadside of barn" with this one at any range farther than damn near physical contact with the target. :eek:
I had an AMT Backup 45 that "featured" a unique sight system, a groove on top of the full length of the slide. Colt later did the same with their New Agent, but at least that was a good gun! Anyhoo, that AMT was likely a good belly gun and it always functioned, but you couldn't hit a pop can at 15ft with any regularity. At least it was solid steel and heavy as a brick... It really was a crappy gun. If the 60 I traded in on it hadn't been abused, I would have regretted that too.

How loud is that thing? I've been near a .22 wmr once without hearing protection and it was painful, but two rounds going off at the same time.

I imagine it would be a blast on the range, but I feel much better carrying something a little more substantial. Can't hide it completely in my palm, but darn close. This is what is in my pocket everyday.
Well, whenever my pants are on. ;)

EDC.jpg

How loud is that thing? I've been near a .22 wmr once without hearing protection and it was painful, but two rounds going off at the same time.

That I don't recall when I shot it. I was wearing ear muffs and eye protection though. It wasn't one of the criticisms, as far as I know, on the In Range videos.

All a moot point, because the thing is dangerously inaccurate, sucks mechanical vis-à-vis reloads, and, according to In Range, the manufacturer wouldn't even reply to multiple inquires. (Having interfaced with them as an FFL I'm not surprised. Correspondence was slow and not particularly helpful.)

It's a jack-*ff gun pure and simple. Kinda like the the Taurus Judge concept taken to the point of absurdity. It almost seems like they wanted to find out how absurd they could make a gun to see what people will buy. (Of course the well-informed commentariat @ NWF knows it's just a joke and bought it knowing that.)
Back in the Dream time I had a High Standard .22 Mag Derringer and I actually could hit targets at the range he was using the Thundermug. (thunder mug A large, china mug with a fitting lid that fits under a bed. It is for night-time use when a person does not want to walk downstairs and outside to the kybo.).
As with the COP being about the same size as an Officers' Model (an actually useful pistol) the Thundermug is as big as a 5-shot .38 Snubbie but lacking the accuracy or power. At least the COP looked cool, and 4 rds of .357 Mag really is a man stopping load.
I can see the Thundermug joining the plethora of forgotten weapons on Forgotten Weapons.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top