JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a Gunsmith between portland, gresham, oregon city, milwaukie to install & fit a ambi thumb safety on a 1911 5" Mil spec Remington. New to 1911's & I went out & purchased a ambidextrous colt safety lever & filed off 2 much with my file where it engages inside the pistol. As soon as I did the click test, it failed, I reinstalled my original safety that came with my remington.

What I am looking for:
A Licensed Gunsmith in the areas I mentioned above
Gunsmiths who I can pay to do a correct job.
Phone numbers & business names

Thanks in advance

If it was me I'd insist even if he offered to do whatever work for free.
There is the old saying, "You get what you pay for".

You could contact him and have a chat to see if you're comfortable with him doing the job. Who knows, he might not even be interested in working on your pistol. There are other "gunsmiths" around who would, I'm sure, be happy to charge you to install your safety. I don't know of any.

I sincerely wish you the best in your endeavor.

B

Wichaka if you can get over the need for a 'smith with shop/name.

Major Nyne guns in Albany area (he changed the name and I'm not googling it at the moment). He's a 1911 smith. There is the shop in WA and I thought they had an account here but can't remember the name off top of my head. At that point depending on distance you'd be shipping and there's lots of options then.

I feel pretty bad, but I just had to leave a guy a - over a huge misunderstanding & I want to explain this to the crowd so people can chime in & maybe I wont feel so bad. Guy backed out on my brand new 1911 in trade based on what he read in this thread about me filing off 2 much of a aftermarket safety lever. His buddy said if I broke 2 safetys then the weapon is no good & he should pass. Well that guy doesnt know what the heck he is talking about & just lost him out on a 700 dollar deal. As soon as the ambi's were filed off 2 much, the original safety was back on the weapon. The other cheaper SS colt safety's are trash & the weapon is still a brand new weapon. weapon was advertised correctly. sorry guy :( Anyone doing their own work on 1911's have probably broke a spare part or two

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/ha...614-remington-r1-1911-brand-new-w-extras.html

how about giving Beavercreek Gun Shop a call. John the owner is real good with 1911 style pistols and other guns to he is located in Beavercreek or just out of Oregon city off of Beavercreek rd. give him a call to see if he could help you. he done work for me for the last 20-25 years and has reasonable rates. 503-632-8162

30- 50 bucks is what most people want. just gave him a call. If I cant get a good trade offer soon, I'm thinking I may just go out & get a third dang safety lever & have it installed by someone who actually knows what they are doing. cant work this 1911 left handed without one JMO. Wichika is top on my list! Thanks for the PM :)

I tried reaching over the backstrap to disengage the safety with my left hand but that is not going to work. Suprisingly some lefty's have been carrying with a single sided safety for 15 + yrs

I'd help you out but I am waiting on the atf to finish up and get my ffl to me. I'll have a shop out of Vancouver, gonna offer some (no machining for now) gunsmithing and custom laser engraving.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top