JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never knew that the US military used Tomahawks.... that looks like a tomahawk worth picking up!

The issued them in the latter portion of OIF 1 as part of a newer equipment fielding. A few of the guys on Fort Lewis had them in Iraq.

Really cool too. built well. Wish I had got one. Don't know if they still issue them out though.

Special Forces apparently used tomahawks in Vietnam. The design has changed through the years and the CQC-T made by American Tomahawk is next to art in it's design. It's priced out of my league for 'cool to have' toys.

Still looking for advice on a good thrower...

I'm not much of a thrower although I've done a little. We had a hawk 'n knife target set up at OFA for a while and during down times were having a lot of fun with it...even students would take a shot at it. Had to tear it down for expansion so my throwing days are over. We all used the CQC-T by American Tomahawk and were able to make it stick consistantly....one of our staff can stick it very consistantly from 15 yards. It is very light and quick and throws very well.

find a set of buckskining books, they have a few chapters on knife and hawk throwing. also check for local buckskining club or events. I know there will be alot of events coming up for 4th of july. Ft Vancover and fort Clatsop both have 4th of July events

Check out YouTube for all kinds of martial arts and weapons demonstrations. It's all searchable and links lead to links and more search terms, etc. Search for "axe" and you will find many vids. Myself, I am one-half Viking, now I think I need a Dane Long Axe to ride public transit.......................elsullo :D

Also check out the Cold Steel website for axe-throwing demos. They sell many styles of axes and tomahawks. They used to send free DVDs of their live catalog demos---great stuff!......................elsullo :s0155:

The revival of this thread moves me to mention the movie "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson, about the Revolutionary War. Mel played a retired warrior who learned to fight like a Native American in the French and Indian War. There's quite a long and instructive scene where he has a dramatic duel, Mel with an Indian war tomahawk and a British officer with a cavalry saber. Great movie too!...........................elsullo :s0155:

Yeah not only are these very useful in defense and much more effective than a knife, but much cooler.
I remember I was in a search and rescue explorer group taught by a couple marines and they were throwing knives into a tree with a few guys from the group and I was stand behind them to the side and I had a full size axe, I cocked back over my head and chucked it over their heads from about 25 to 30 feet and it stuck in the tree. Everyone whipped around at me in fear and amazement to see me. As soon as I made eye contact I just walked away without a word. I was a legend after that. But it was all stupid luck.

Their a great weapon and fun to play around with. I would try to buy a couple axes that are cheap ones that are the same size and weight to practice with before busting up your pretty skull crusher.

While I'm a huge fan of the axe as a tool (I wouldn't really consider throwing one except in absolute necessity, because if I did, I may not be able to chop firewood later), a bunch of us chipped in and bought one of these Shrike for a friend who was headed to the two way shooting range. It was _NOT_ cheap but holy crap was it ever a thing to behold. It's everything a tomahawk should be... sharp as ****, and dangerous from just about every angle. If he ever gets around to sending me an e-mail letting me know he used it I'll post it. He's only been in country for two weeks so ...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top