JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
"...This column warned about the Portland mayor’s intentions here, and suggested that the same mentality at work in Portland also infests City Hall in Seattle. The “Emerald City” is busy appealing its court loss earlier this year to Bellevue’s Second Amendment Foundation and the National Rifle Association over the wholly illegal city parks gun ban...."

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

California's law is a bad example because it has nothing to do with crimes of violence. Any felonies can contribute to your three strikes, from felony DUI to stealing a bicycle. The state finds itself now in the unenviable position of releasing murderers and rapists to keep nonviolent three-strikes inmates locked up, because there's no legal way around the 3-strikes minimum sentence requirements.

As far as Portland's new law, I note that the article doesn't say what the five points are! Here, for your edification, they're listed:

Holds adults responsible if kids get ahold of a gun.

Penalizes owners who don't report a gun that is lost or stolen.

Sets a 7PM curfew for juvenile gun offenders.

Sets mandatory minimum sentences for gun offenders caught with a gun.

Bars gun offenders from so-called shooting "hot spots" identified around the city.

Could you please explain to me how any of these violate the spirit or the letter of the state preemption statute? Personally, I don't see the problem with this new law. The only aspect that I might bump up against is the mandatory reporting of loss. Other than that, all I see in the new law is the shooters being held responsible for their crimes, rather than blaming the guns.

Other than that, all I see in the new law is the shooters being held responsible for their crimes, rather than blaming the guns.

They already were crimes..

All these ordnances are is political posturing really. With language in such a manner to skirt Oregon state law.

In the end, Mr. Adams already does blame the guns. He chalks it up to he has a gun problem in PDX. When he actually has a crime and gang problem.

California's law is a bad example because it has nothing to do with crimes of violence. Any felonies can contribute to your three strikes, from felony DUI to stealing a bicycle. The state finds itself now in the unenviable position of releasing murderers and rapists to keep nonviolent three-strikes inmates locked up, because there's no legal way around the 3-strikes minimum sentence requirements.

As far as Portland's new law, I note that the article doesn't say what the five points are! Here, for your edification, they're listed:

Holds adults responsible if kids get ahold of a gun.

Penalizes owners who don't report a gun that is lost or stolen.

Sets a 7PM curfew for juvenile gun offenders.

Sets mandatory minimum sentences for gun offenders caught with a gun.

Bars gun offenders from so-called shooting "hot spots" identified around the city.

Could you please explain to me how any of these violate the spirit or the letter of the state preemption statute? Personally, I don't see the problem with this new law. The only aspect that I might bump up against is the mandatory reporting of loss. Other than that, all I see in the new law is the shooters being held responsible for their crimes, rather than blaming the guns.

State preemption does not allow cities, towns or counties to establish their own gun laws in excess of what the state legislature has mandated. Period. It wouldn't matter if the city suddenly required everyone to have a gun. That wouldn't work either.

If you do not draw a proverbial line in the sand and whack somebody real hard if they cross it, the line is no good. If you give Portland a wink and a nod and say that's okay, then the law has no teeth and it will soon be irrelevant and ignored on a greater scale as cities and counties figure out more ways to dance around the spirit and intent of the statute.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top