JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to see that done with :

A historically correct cartridge loading...
As well as a historically correct belt and holster combination.
And a revolver that was re-worked in the way a gunsmith from the 19th century would do it...
Not in a modern "Cowboy Action Style" way.

Wait....
Most of the old west gunmen....didn't do the type shooting like in the OP....nevermind.... :D

Edit to add....

The above is not to be seen as disparaging the shooter in the OP.
He has skill and speed.
Nor is it to be taken as a "shot" at those who enjoy Cowboy Action Shooting.
Shoot as you wish...have fun and be safe.

Speaking only for myself...
I would be more impressed if.....
The shooter shot in a 19th century manner and did so , skillfully.
To replicate the shooting feats of say Hardin or Hickok...with modern guns or rigs is one thing....
To do so with an original or historically correct replica of a gun , rig and style is more to my liking.
Andy

Last Edited:
And a revolver that was re-worked in the way a gunsmith from the 19th century would do it...not in a modern "Cowboy Action Style" way.
Wait....
Most of the old west gunmen....didn't do the type shooting like in the OP....nevermind.... :D
Andy
Good points. I suppose if the old west gunman had the technology and ability to do that fast shooting they would, but probably to shoot tin cans or show off.

As far as actual gunfights my bet is they would actually point and aim if they want to win the gunfight. But that's just a guess based on the limited reports I've heard about gunfighters at the time. So much myth and folklore and Hollywood out there. It would be cool to see more first hand reports of people actually involved in gunfights in those days.

My guess is the gunfighters at that time would have the same choice as a person in a gunfight today. Who would win, the dude blasting away as fast as possible or the dude firing calmly and deliberately (my vote is the latter)? Now if you can be calm, deliberate, accurate, and shoot very fast, then that's the ideal. But probably only accomplished through lots of training to achieve that. Rob Leatham is for me the number one trainer to listen to on that subject. For me no one else is even in the same universe as far as advanced handgun training.

Many years ago Bob Munden was at Gresham Ford doing a shooting demonstration and a friend and I went there to watch. It was a great show, and he was amazingly fast! Faster than most people would be with a semiauto handgun! And very accurate at full speed too!

And a revolver that was re-worked in the way a gunsmith from the 19th century would do it...
Not in a modern "Cowboy Action Style" way.

Wait....

Edit to add....

The above is not to be seen as disparaging the shooter in the OP.
He has skill and speed.
Nor is it to be taken as a "shot" at those who enjoy Cowboy Action Shooting.
Shoot as you wish...have fun and be safe.

Speaking only for myself...
I would be more impressed if.....
The shooter shot in a 19th century manner and did so , skillfully.
To replicate the shooting feats of say Hardin or Hickok...with modern guns or rigs is one thing....
To do so with an original or historically correct replica of a gun , rig and style is more to my liking.
Andy
Andy walks to his conventions through paths not yet made; he is only wearing fur sewn with his own hair; he smells of......

Who would win, the dude blasting away as fast as possible or the dude firing calmly and deliberately (my vote is the latter)? Now if you can be calm, deliberate, accurate, and shoot very fast, then that's the ideal.
"The most important lesson I learned ... was that the winner of a gunplay usually was the one who took his time"
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. You must learn to be slow in a hurry."
-Wyatt Earp

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top