JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This morning, with the rain coming horizontal, I set off for the range to collect some bullets from a pal, but not to shoot, on account of my cricked neck Three others turned up, each of them with a rare shooting iron, to say the least.

My poor car camera ran out after just the one image, so I hope that I might be forgived for the poor shot I made here in the murk. I was holding the camera above my head to get the flash to work, and at that, the camera died....

upload_2017-11-4_13-19-51.png

Top is a .58cal Westley-Richards 'Monkey-tail' cavalry carbine from the late 1840's.

Centre is a so-called Dragoon short rifle of the same calibre and date.

Bottom is THE prize of the day - a .575cal Callisher & Terry carbine as used in the recent Maori Wars, and found in New Zealand.

THEN one guy pipes up - 'I've got MY Callisher & Terry carbine here, too!'

...and then the other guy mutters, 'me, too'.

I've never seen ONE in my life, and here are THREE of them together!!!!!! And me with a dead camera! :mad: x 100.

There WILL be another time.

tac

tac; I'm sure there are many more goodies on that side of the Water than are present here. I envy the chances that you have to see said goodies and I would hope you have the chance to shoot one or two.:):):rolleyes:

Unfortunately I can relate to tac's camera woes. But he didn't have to spend any time trying to get photos and could then just enjoy the show.

Very cool guns. Don't think I have seen any of them in person.

This morning, with the rain coming horizontal, I set off for the range to collect some bullets from a pal, but not to shoot, on account of my cricked neck Three others turned up, each of them with a rare shooting iron, to say the least.

My poor car camera ran out after just the one image, so I hope that I might be forgived for the poor shot I made here in the murk. I was holding the camera above my head to get the flash to work, and at that, the camera died....

View attachment 402456

Top is a .58cal Westley-Richards 'Monkey-tail' cavalry carbine from the late 1840's.

Centre is a so-called Dragoon short rifle of the same calibre and date.

Bottom is THE prize of the day - a .575cal Callisher & Terry carbine as used in the recent Maori Wars, and found in New Zealand.

THEN one guy pipes up - 'I've got MY Callisher & Terry carbine here, too!'

...and then the other guy mutters, 'me, too'.

I've never seen ONE in my life, and here are THREE of them together!!!!!! And me with a dead camera! :mad: x 100.

There WILL be another time.

tac
Where is Andy at? He's going to have sit down to appreciate these babies lol

I have a 10 year old pocket Pentax which I had in my truck that while hunting that let me down also. Knowing that lithium ion batteries in general don't like cold, and mine are ten years old, I removed the batteries and stuck them in my inner shirt breast pocket for twenty minutes then put them back in the camera. the camera now worked with 100% showing on the charge level. After that, I kept the camera in my inside jacket pocket to stay warm and didn't have the problem again.
Just a thought..
As an aside, but sort of related; When the automobile battery, in bitter winter would not crank fast enough, you could top them off (unsealed batteries) with hot water to perk it up enough to get things going.
I'm hoping my days of limping Lena's are over but life has a way of messing with you sometimes.

When I visited the Springfield Armory museum in Massachusetts, I was lucky it was a weekday with very few other visitors.
I made friends with the guy at the desk (turned out to be a very knowledgeable gun guy), which is was good, as he charged my digital camera three times. This was well before I had a smart phone with a camera. I still didn't get all the photos I wanted. An excuse to go back again...

I'm sure I've mentioned this a gazillion times erofeb, but in case there's anybody new here who hasn't 'got' the UK way of shooting old stuff, here's what goes down here.

1. ANYBODY over the age of 18 can walk into the antique arms and armour store/fair, whatever, pay the money, and walk away. No license, no nothing.

2. This is the same for ANY muzzleloader that is not a modern replica, or firearm that shoots an obsolete calibre - there are a humungous number of obsolete calibres, and I'm not going that route, except to mention the popular Winchester stuff, like 32-20, 32-40 and .577 Snider, .577-450, any of the black powder double rifle calibres and so on.

3. SHOOTING them, however, is a chicken of a different kettle.

a. You have to be a full member of an authorised gun club - note that is NOT a society or an organisation - a for real, physical gun club with ranges, officials, committees, Home Office approval [there are none that do not have Home Office approval, BTW] and so on.

b. You have to have a Firearms Certificate [FAC] that authorises you to 'acquire and possess' the firearms that are authorised on it. Chicken and egg? Not really. You have to KNOW exactly what kind and calibre gun it is that you want BEFORE you apply for the FAC. When you finally get it, it says on it - 'authorises Mister/Miss/Ms FNU SNU to acquire and possess ONE .36cal black powder handgun [single-shot pistol or revolver'

c. If it is a cartridge firearm that you want to shoot, it will also note the amount of ammunition that you are allowed to acquire and possess at any one time [200/300].

d. If, during the duration of the life of the FAC, you want to add or to change, then you send in a variation version of the FAC, and it may or may not come back with the variation on it or not. This is a matter for discussion with the Firearms Enquiries Officer, a civilian, usually ex-police or military or both, who comes and checks out your story. You will know him well, you may, like I do do, even shoot with him. He'll know if you are trying something on or not, and act accordingly. He has the authority of the police chief constable to take your FAC off you, and tear it into shred over your head, should it be necessary. No FAC = no guns.

tac

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top