JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Concealed carry permit
From a Vietnam Vet and retired Police Officer:
I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found out something very interesting that I would like to pass along. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three questions:

1. Did I feel stressed?
2. Did I feel threatened?
3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?

The nurse then informed me, that if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security. Looks like they are going after the vets first. Other gun people like retired law enforcement will probably be next. Then when they go after the civilians, what argument will they have? Be forewarned and be aware.

The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners potential terrorists. Whether you are a gun owner veteran or not, you've been warned.

If you know veterans and gun owners, please pass this on to them. Be very cautious about what you say and to whom.

Might have something to do with the alarming rate of vet suicides, or the incidents of PTSD. I don't believe that vets should have theirs rights taken away, However, vets have had to endure horrible things that no man or woman should ever see or hear. That can have a severe impact on someone's emotional state. Especially for the men and woman who served in the national guard or reserves.

It would not surprise me that the VA is checking into vets mental status a little more thoroughly these days due to the increasing number of vets returning home with PTSD and the rise in suicide rates, but I am a little hesitant to make the leap from what the "nurse at the VA clinic said" to "Obama is trying to take our guns!!!" Both may be true, I just need a little more.

It would not surprise me that the VA is checking into vets mental status a little more thoroughly these days due to the increasing number of vets returning home with PTSD and the rise in suicide rates, but I am a little hesitant to make the leap from what the "nurse at the VA clinic said" to "Obama is trying to take our guns!!!" Both may be true, I just need a little more.

+1 just like the leap that allowing gays to marry will mean people will marry their dogs. IMO, i want people to be able to marry their dog so i know who the whacko is in my neighborhood that i need to keep the kids away from.

That hasn't been my experience with the VA and while I don't have a CCW, I do still pass background checks to buy guns. If the VA drops dime to the FBI and NCIC, why would a permit get revoked but buying a gun wouldn't? I think this is just a rumor or urban legend that gets unknowingly passed around by well meaning people. Just like the rumor that claiming PTSD will get your right to own a firearm revoked, these rumors prevent soldiers from getting the help they might need. If you know a veteran with PTSD, tell them to get help. It helps.

This account is almost identical to warnings in this article:
<broken link removed>

I have never been asked this by the VA, in any way, shape or form.

I do think the current administration well try and use medical records to restrict gun ownership down the road.

Me either and I had to go to get tested for depression after some injuries and lifetime of pain.

Each one of those questions could be interpreted differently by everyone. I guarantee what I consider stressful is probably way beyond when most people would just give up.

didnt we just have this exact same thread about a month ago?

it's BS. i have answered "yes" to some of the barrage of mental health questions they ask you, with absolutely no effect: no loss of 2A rights, no medical holds, no followup questions. they ask because the computer tells them to ask, and they give a bubblegum not what your answer is.

we do still have some degree of due process in this country- and stating you have anxiety, or that you're a little down, or that you're angry, etc, is not even a shadow of cause to revoke somebody's CCW.

I checked this out at work today ( the VA is where I work) and there are Hippa privacy laws that make this NOT TRUE..... I feel posting such bunk is a bad Idea. Urban legends crap such as this is dangerus to put forth because it might prevent people who need help from seeking it.

I checked this out at work today ( the VA is where I work) and there are Hippa privacy laws that make this NOT TRUE..... I feel posting such bunk is a bad Idea. Urban legends crap such as this is dangerus to put forth because it might prevent people who need help from seeking it.

Yeah, HIPAA trumps everything else.

Does anybody here have anything to demand regarding accountability of the OP who posted this urban legend as a first-person account (from yesterday, no less)?

Lets look at this closer. The link posted by AIRASSULT18B attempts to debunk this by first stating that VA stands for Dept. of Veterans Assistance not Veterans Admin??? How does this apply? How many of you knew that?
Next the author says the VA is not trying to take your guns away. I agree, the nurse at the VA is not trying to do that. But, Pres Bush signed a bill that starts a domino affect. The information that is recorded by the VA is put in a database that the DHS will then use against us.
No, the VA does not report to DHS, but DHS receives the information collected by VA and other Govt. Agencies.
Here is a link to the synopsis of the bill:
<broken link removed>
Here is a portion of the synopsis of the bill HR 2640:
H.R.2640
Title: NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007
Sponsor: Rep McCarthy, Carolyn [NY-4] (introduced 6/11/2007) Cosponsors (17)
Related Bills: H.R.297
Latest Major Action: Became Public Law No: 110-180 [GPO: Text, PDF]
SUMMARY AS OF:
1/8/2008--Public Law. (There are 3 other summaries)
(This measure has not been amended since it was passed by the Senate on December 19, 2007. The summary of that version is repeated here.)

NICS Improvement Amendments Act of 2007 - Title I: Transmittal of Records - (Sec. 101) Amends the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act to: (1) authorize the Attorney General to obtain electronic versions of information from federal agencies on persons disqualified from receiving firearms; (2) require federal agencies to provide such information to the Attorney General, not less frequently than quarterly; and (3) require federal agencies to update, correct, modify, or remove obsolete records and notify the Attorney General of such actions to keep the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) up to date. Requires the Attorney General to submit annual reports to Congress on the compliance of federal agencies with such reporting requirements.

Requires the Secretary of Homeland Security to provide the Attorney General, not less than quarterly, information for determining whether a person is disqualified under the federal criminal code from possessing or receiving a firearm for use in NICS background checks.

If you think DHS is held at bay by the Constitution or States Rights, your wrong. Thank you G.W. Bush and all the fine amerikins who supported and instituted the Patriot Act.

DHS still has to follow the law regarding firearms ownership. If one actually reads all those questions on a 4473, it pretty much tells you what will disqualify a person. Like I said, I still pass the background checks. If all else fails, there is lots of PVC pipe at Home Depot and boating accidents are common... :)

DHS still has to follow the law regarding firearms ownership. If one actually reads all those questions on a 4473, it pretty much tells you what will disqualify a person. Like I said, I still pass the background checks. If all else fails, there is lots of PVC pipe at Home Depot and boating accidents are common... :)

I think we need to clarify something. Your statement about DHS is mute because, even thoe DHS does follow a law, unfortunately its not a Constitutional law.

Whats the PVC pipe and boating accident reference?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top