1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this week -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Three Questions NO ONE can answer for us!

Discussion in 'Archived - Oregon Firearms Academy' started by OFADAN, Jul 20, 2012.

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

In 17 years of operation, OFA has carefully developed a comprehensive building block curriculum which includes roughly 30 various courses on the defensive use of small arms. People ask "why do you need 30 classes to teach people how to shoot?" We retort back; we don't! We only need about 16-22 minutes to teach a person how to shoot but we need multiple courses to teach someone how to win, survive, and stay out of the "Six Ugly Places" which we introduce in our Basic Handgun Safety Course.

One of the areas we focus on is creating a Defensive Mindset, which does not discount a threat or potential threat as "This is not happening to me! This isn't real! This is a gag, or part of what is going on with the other activities." Regrettablly many in the Aurora Movie Theater initially discounted or ignored their body's biological warning alarm frozen in disbelief well after the carnage was underway. The reason people hesitate can be debated and discussed to ad nausem but the bottom line is in order to build a Defensive Mindset we must ponder and consider these "Three Questions NO ONE can ever Answer for us!"

Question #1 - Who the Threat might be? Threats are not neatly compartmentalized into a particular predicable age group, gender, education, line of work, religion, or where they live or don't live.

Question #2 - When or Where an attack might take place? Attacks happen in homes, restaurants, schools, movie complexs, goverment buildings, parks, "secure" military complex, coffee shops, nice neighborhoods, stores, churches, and even behind prision bars where it is the most secure place on the planet. Attacks are never on our time or location schedule.

Question #3 - What it will take to stop the threat? It might not even take a gun, it may just be your physical stance on how you posture yourself or your verbalization; it may take every round you have on your person and you may have to transition to your back up system. No one knows...but the reality is when your favorite defensive firearm runs out of ammo or quits working - it doesn't mean the fight is over! So...what is your Plan B, C, & D?

One of our motto's at OFA is "We're not here to give you an excuse to fail but rather develop solutions to survive." Can't say for sure what you are planning on doing but for those of us within the OFA Circle of Trust these recent events are only emboldening us to train and train harder- and I don't just mean go to the rock pit and shoot tin can's either :bluelaugh:
    Joe Link, wou42, matt_w and 7 others like this.
  2. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Good post Dan, definitely some things to think about :)
  3. Ocanada

Ocanada Way North Member

Great post.

All I can say is, anyone, any place, any time or condition.

What will it take to stop the continuation of the critical event? Not only will you never know as every situation is entirely different, but you can not pre-plan every move. They are all fluid events, not some staged dance with deadly force added. What you can do is practice all the tactics you can, so that if that day ever comes to you, and let's hope it never does, you have less things to try to figure out, which allows you to stay out of the black zone. Does everyone even know the awareness colour codes? Going to that rock pit you mention and blasting away with no plan, goal, or frame of reference for improvement, only continues bad habits, or no habits at all. You must be taken out of your comfort zone for the light to come on and make you realize you have more goalposts to reach and move past to stay on top of your skills.

Structured training in situational awareness, safety, staying out of the fight in the first place, law references, and tactical considerations is a minimum standard. Training is an on going thing that must be undertaken to help you not only survive the event, but survive the legal nightmare and life changing events that follow. A wise man often repeated, "You can't loose a fight you are never in!!"

I am an instructor for my company, and never stop looking for training at my own expense to allow me to continue to stay focused and aware of my surroundings. Even if it is a basic course to sharpen a skill or knock away training cobwebs that form after a few months without training. I will never stop being a student.

I can tell you that these events, where, when, how, who, hit close to home June 15th 2012. Although I can not discuss details, as it is now before the courts, three of our officers were shot and killed and another critically wounded in an armed robbery. They too had no idea when, where, how or who. It turned out to be a deadly combination. You can never be trained enough, you can never be lax, and you must always be aware of your surroundings. So, get out of the rock pit, train like your life, or the life of a loved one depends on it. You will never be sorry for the expense. It will pay for itself in self confidence and awareness ten fold.

End of Rant.

Peter EH!
    Nice Group!