JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That was interesting. The story comes across as biased, though. Would have liked to see the numbers they based this off of. Still, seems fairly likely. Three cool guns.

BULL crap The Lugers numbers are only high from shooting people in the back of the head from close range they were outnumbered by the P-38 easily. And they were fussy prone to jamming and fragile. OK so if you add in the Chinese Civil war I guess this could be right OH wait that was shooting people in the back of the head too.

The 1873 Colt in what war was that used? Oh that's right the Spanish American war how many casualties were there in that little war? It wasn't even used to fight the Indians except in small numbers and on TV.

I got no argument with the 1911.

I would venture the Colt model 1851-1860's and the Remington Model 1858 killed more people during the civil war then the 1873 did during its military or COWBOY career.

The author provides no statistics or sources of information whatsoever. The writing (I mean, for someone who supposedly does this professionally) is really quite shoddy, not to mention obviously biased as was previously mentioned. I'm not saying I completely disagree with his choices--but come on man, throw us a bone in the form of evidence instead of presenting all that conjecture to the readers as fact.

Yes, I suspect somebody did some shoddy research. I think if you remember, the Browning/FN Hi power actually served on both sides in WWII. Maybe not prevalent in the US, but certainly used all over the world for some time now. Don't forget banana republics, lot's of good handgun killings there too. The peacemaker seems unlikely to match that. It might even be beat by a Webley.

I would also bet that a Tokarev (Norinco, Zasta..err or variants thereof) TT-33 beats the luger, just because of the number and duration of service. Don't forget Makarov's as well. As mentioned above, commies love handgun killings.

A lot of Beretta M9's have been taken into battle, but with modern warfare was probably not employed very often.

Last Edited:
I would say the "Saturday Night Special" would top the list.
Most homicides aren't committed with expensive hand guns.

Only Congressmen (and women) think a Saturday Night Special is a make of handgun. Although, point taken. I wonder if war or criminal use racks up higher numbers for handguns. Or perpetual semi war in crapholes like Africa. It might be worth looking at the CZ 75 and variations if criminal use moves the needle.

Last Edited:
Yes, I suspect somebody did some shoddy research. I think if you remember, the Browning/FN Hi power actually served on both sides in WWII. Maybe not prevalent in the US, but certainly used all over the world for some time now. Don't forget banana republics, lot's of good handgun killings there too. The peacemaker seems unlikely to match that. It might even be beat by a Webley.

I would also bet that a Tokarev (Norinco, Zasta..err or variants thereof) TT-33 beats the luger, just because of the number and duration of service. Don't forget Makarov's as well. As mentioned above, commies love handgun killings.

A lot of Beretta M9's have been taken into battle, but with modern warfare was probably not employed very often.
Interesting question. I'm half inclined to think the Hi-Power also as it was used by like 100 different countries as a military sidearm over the years.. tin-pot murderfests included. Something in the same class would be a Russian gun/variant as there was a lot of thuggery (many murdered in the name of the state) with I'm sure a single model of those.

The author provides no statistics or sources of information whatsoever. The writing (I mean, for someone who supposedly does this professionally) is really quite shoddy, not to mention obviously biased as was previously mentioned. I'm not saying I completely disagree with his choices--but come on man, throw us a bone in the form of evidence instead of presenting all that conjecture to the readers as fact.

Sometimes an author will lead his readers to do research to find out for themselves. I do understand as sheep some people need to be told everything and be herded into belief.:D

Sometimes an author will lead his readers to do research to find out for themselves. I do understand as sheep some people need to be told everything and be herded into belief.:D
I've never heard "Most any good Luger will shoot a 10mm group with 9mm ammo at 25 yards.". lol. That puts any target pistol ever created to shame.

I've never heard "Most any good Luger will shoot a 10mm group with 9mm ammo at 25 yards.". lol. That puts any target pistol ever created to shame.

Ya, that's a little under a half inch group with a bullet near a half inch. Writer must be getting old and not able to think about what he writes.:D

Ya, that's a little under a half inch group with a bullet near a half inch. Writer must be getting old and not able to think about what he writes.:D
Fine guns all and he does make some interesting "points".. talk about poetic license throughout though! good reading nonetheless

Fine guns all and he does make some interesting "points".. talk about poetic license throughout though! good reading nonetheless

Got to add that one of the most accurate guns I ever shot was a Luger. Fellow brought it out to the gun club and let me run a mag full through it. Rusty,ugly war relic that function perfect and shot very straight.

I hear you. In my limited shooting of them I'd put them at around 4-5" at 50 yards.. which is exceedingly accurate but not in the world class target pistol category at all.
Most all touted handguns are very accurate. P-38's, Ruger Old Army, yadda

How many handguns have been banned? The FN Herstall Five-SeveN is on the list to be banned - so therefore it must be considered one of the mostest deadliest. Right?
Rep. Eliot Engel (D-N.Y.) ..."his Protect Law Enforcement Armor (PLEA) Act. The bill, according to Engle, would "expand regulation of armor-piercing ammunition and firearms, provide for the ongoing regulation of new weapons that might penetrate body armor, and ban the FN Herstal Five-SeveN…"

Maybe an artillery luger with a 24 yard barrel? Yes the tolerances are tight, and the design makes for minimal barrel slop in the mechanism, and the front sight is attached to the barrel, and the trigger is a very nice single action, but the sights are horrible. 10mm hole not true even from a ransom rest.

I would say the "Saturday Night Special" would top the list.
Most homicides aren't committed with expensive hand guns.

According to a paper I read, in Atlanta, police are responsible for most gun related homicides and .40 is the caliber most often used (which is what the police there use). It's just a fact. Outside the police, yeah, it's the Saturday Night Special without a doubt.

The coroner that wrote it said that it has to do with only dead bodies --survivors he didn't see. He said generally one stop shots came from .40 and .45, but that was because those were generally police kills and close kills with a large bullet. He said generally there'd be five or more 9mm rounds in a cadaver as it seemed "gang bangers didn't aim" or "couldn't shoot well".

As for the article, well, don't forget the Luger was also used in WW1, not just WW2, so I'm sure it racked up some kills there. American soldiers LOVED those pistols too and it wasn't rare for them to use them also. It IS the most natural pointing firearm ever made (saw a guy hit the target every time point shooting blindfolded, saw the target, got on it, then repeated blind folded). Only reason I want a Mk2 is because of that angle.

1911, yeah, it's been around 100 years and common to boot, I'll buy that.

CAA, I don't know much about the old cowboy guns. I do know if it wasn't used in the Civil War then it probably wasn't the top one.

My opinion.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads